GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike

Thanks

Re: GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike

A lot of workers being interviewed are saying if the contract doesn't have everything they want then they will vote it down. Maybe just talking tough to the media but this just shows the lack of wanting to actually negotiate and just wanting everything they demand. Since the UAW negotiators knew this could happen I think it's just good enough to pass. However, I think people will be surprised how many workers will vote this down.
    Last edited by Clownzilla; 10-16-2019 at 10:11 PM.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,759 Times in 4,677 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    A lot of workers being interviewed are saying if the contract doesn't have everything they want then they will vote it down. Maybe just talking tough to the media but this just shows the lack of wanting to actually negotiate and just wanting everything they demand. Since the UAW negotiators knew this could happen I think it's just good enough to pass. However, I think people will be surprised how many workers will vote this down.
    Hoo boy. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

GM needs someone like Crazy Henry's thug Harry Bennet to get in there and not back down an inch.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-17-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,670 Times in 3,708 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Have they noticed that Volkswagen and Honda do not have problems with Unions?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-17-2019),Rumpole (10-17-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,933 Times in 2,547 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

What they really wants is in this latest offer, these people are not
    the militants you paint them to be, they're terrified ordinary folks
    that have been pushed as far as they're willing to go.

Now, in the face of a decent deal that includes, a pay rise,
    secure pathway for 9,000 casuals, guarantee of new products
    and retention of at least two plants, they can walk away winners
    and so can GM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

LuxuryLover (10-22-2019)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Hoo boy. Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

GM needs someone like Crazy Henry's thug Harry Bennet to get in there and not back down an inch.
    I think when somebody puts a piece of paper in front of them that they get $9K+ to sign, a good number of workers are going to care less about their brothers and sisters in Lordstown. It's human nature and enough UAW workers are going to succumb to it to pass it. A lot of the people in the interviews are talking about GM opening the factories back up but I just can't see that happening (besides Hamtramck). Who knows, guess we will see Thursday.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Clownzilla For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-17-2019)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,933 Times in 2,547 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

There's a big difference between unrealistic reopening of plants
    that GM just doesn't need anymore and, GM walking back on
    some product placement decisions and sweetening the pot
    with a few worker conditions and job security that doesn't
    really sting GM all that much in the bigger sense.

I'd take those TV interviews with a grain of salt,
    the media only reports extreme demands (good drama)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-18-2019),eklauss (10-17-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

No matter what they sign, you cant stop the inevitable. What are they going to do, make transmissions in an electric car era?
    This will only give GM enough time to separate things even more, to protect itself from future issues like this. They want to strike? Go ahead; in the meantime, make sure you bring the new cars on more ships or trains.
    These people work at the company and they don't understand that GM only cares about profit and they will get it, one way or the other.
    GMs dream is to build in China/Korea/Mexico for the cheapest labor available and sell for US prices.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

Rumpole (10-17-2019)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    The most interesting detail to me is that they intend to keep D-Ham open to produce an electric pickup, which must be around the corner? Or do they just limp along with the current product until the truck is ready?

FWIW, Ford's F-150 BEV isn't here until MY 2022/3 and they've already been showing it in action with prototypes running around. GM must be really good at secrets.
    Didn't they set up a lot of the battery infrastructure in that area when they first started making the Volt years ago, something like a joint LG Chem plant not far away, and wasn't Michigan giving a lot of incentives to the battery R&D groups to set up shop there? If a lot of that is still in place, it would make sense for that plant to be a core electrified vehicle plant.
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Volkswagen has plenty of union operations in Europe...
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (10-17-2019),LuxuryLover (10-22-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    The VW plant in Pennsylvania never achieved its grand plan. Some of that was union trouble, a lot was the market and other factors such as fuel prices and internal VW issues.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volksw...eland_Assembly

https://www.dispatch.com/news/201804...-4-decades-ago

BTW, Pennsylvania offered a big fat package and outbid Ohio. Much to Ohio's benefit, as time would tell. The first Japanese plant was in Marysville, Ohio and it's still rocking along.

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    No matter what they sign, you cant stop the inevitable. What are they going to do, make transmissions in an electric car era?
    This will only give GM enough time to separate things even more, to protect itself from future issues like this. They want to strike? Go ahead; in the meantime, make sure you bring the new cars on more ships or trains.
    These people work at the company and they don't understand that GM only cares about profit and they will get it, one way or the other.
    GMs dream is to build in China/Korea/Mexico for the cheapest labor available and sell for US prices.
    The workers care about THEIR profits and GM cares about ITS profits. That is the way of the world. GM, nor any auto maker, is a welfare agency. Their purpose is profits.

And sorry, you're decades late for cheap labor in Korea. SOUTH Korea anyway, it's probably cheap in NoKo. But so is life.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (10-17-2019),LuxuryLover (10-22-2019),TruckMan (10-17-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

They should all be fat and happy now that they have had their fill at the trough. Now we, the consumer, get to pay the increased prices to pay for the greed...as more sales go to manufacturers who don't have to put up with this nonsense and who continue to offer quality vehicles without the UAW extortion tax added on..

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to criticalmass For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-18-2019),eklauss (10-17-2019)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...ees-uaw-strike

A few more details on the agreement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post

Well, a lot of the UAW I have seen interviewed said that they would vote it down if Lordstown didn't reopen. Like I said before though, $11K for signing a piece of paper and getting back to work with pretty sweet pay and benefits will make them forget about their solidarity with their Lordstown brothers and sisters.

Pope Benedict XVI

Current Vehicles:

2017 Buick Lacrosse

2017 Buick Envision

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Clownzilla For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post

By Evie Fordham FOXBusiness

Morning Business Outlook: United Auto Workers and General Motors have reached a tentative deal to end a month-long strike; Family Circle magazine will send out its last issue in December after 87 years in print.

After a day of swirling reports, FOX Business obtained a copy of the United Auto Workers and General Motors' tentative agreement ahead of union leaders' vote on Thursday.

Some of the most anticipated parts of the deal include a new shortened path to permanent status for temporary workers and guaranted wage increases and lump sums for permanent manufacturing employees. The agreement would apply to GM's hourly workers.

But many workers who are dismayed at the thought of GM closing more plants will be disappointed that the agreement does not include reopening the Lordstown assembly plant in Ohio.

The agreement provides full-time temporary workers with a pathway to permanent employment starting on Jan. 6, 2020. Part-time temporary employees will have a pathway to regular status beginning Jan. 1, 2021.

GM also caved following workers' anger at being asked to share a larger portion of health insurance costs

Picketing United Auto Workers Richard Rivera, left, and Robin Pinkney react to news of a tentative contract agreement with General Motors, in Langhorne, Pa., Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2019. (AP Photo/Matt Rourke)
    Seniority employees will get an $11,000 ratification bonus, while temporary employees get a bonus of $4,500.

The deal also eliminates the $12,000 cap on profit-sharing payouts.

"All profits the company earns in North America will generate payments to members, based on the current $1,000 per $1 billion formula, with no limits," the agreement summary stated.

GM also promised to bring all permanent manufacturing employees to $32.32 an hour by September 2023.

Christ on a crutch, I never got anything LIKE this deal at ANY job, including re-enlistment bonuses. And all those jobs required far more than just a HS dropout degree and the ability to slide a time card into the clock twice a day.
    These fat and happy unskilled whiney laborers better make hay while the sun's shining, because to me this cave by GM indicates one of two things:

1. Management is a bunch of incompetent squeamish weenies afraid of their own shadows; or
    2. GM won't be using these people in the long term once zerozerozero (a delusion IMHO) takes effect--the 'lektriks will require probably half as many per plant--so let 'em cheer while they can.

I suppose some of the UAWs know the score, that THEIR EXCESS COMPENSATION IS DIRECTLY CONNECTED TO PLANT CLOSINGS. But the other 95% have no clue and consider GM just another government welfare program with endless supplies of cash. Well, what GM DOES have is an endless supply of idiots at the top. They should have gutted this out through Christmas at least.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 10-17-2019 at 12:39 PM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-18-2019),Chassis Guy (10-17-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by criticalmass View Post
    They should all be fat and happy now that they have had their fill at the trough. Now we, the consumer, get to pay the increased prices to pay for the greed...as more sales go to manufacturers who don't have to put up with this nonsense and who continue to offer quality vehicles without the UAW extortion tax added on..
    I wouldn't buy a vehicle made right now by GM anyway - imagine the quality of work these people will put into the new cars and trucks.
    I would sell my house and leave the town where GM is the main job provider - better pull a bit now than lose it all later. Gotta be a total idiot to not understand this is only temporary.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-18-2019),Neanderthal (10-17-2019)

30. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information