GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike

Thanks
    Thanked 7,846 Times in 3,946 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...tive-agreement

October 15, 2019
    Evie Fordham

The United Auto Workers announced a tentative agreement with General Motors on Wednesday to end the GM autoworkers strike that has lasted longer than a month.

"The number one priority of the national negotiation team has been to secure a strong and fair contract that our members deserve,” Terry Dittes, vice president of UAW's GM Department, said in a statement. "Out of respect for our members, we will refrain from commenting on the details until the UAW GM leaders gather together and receive all details."

More at link

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (10-16-2019),TruckMan (10-16-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,846 Times in 3,946 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Re: GM and UAW reach tentative agreement to end month-long strike

That's good news!

I haven't heard of any particular stock shortages - has anyone heard about actual sales losses because customers couldn't find what they wanted?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 608 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

I wonder what's in the details? Did they save a plant or two? What really held up an agreement for a month?

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ambalanche For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-16-2019),BlackGTP (10-16-2019),buildacariwant (10-18-2019),eklauss (10-16-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,209 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    https://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/...tive-agreement

October 15, 2019
    Evie Fordham

The United Auto Workers announced a tentative agreement with General Motors on Wednesday to end the GM autoworkers strike that has lasted longer than a month.

"The number one priority of the national negotiation team has been to secure a strong and fair contract that our members deserve,” Terry Dittes, vice president of UAW's GM Department, said in a statement. "Out of respect for our members, we will refrain from commenting on the details until the UAW GM leaders gather together and receive all details."

More at link
    Will they have to wait for the UAW leaders to get out of jail first to review all the details? Or do they have delegates while they're in jail?
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-16-2019),377Z (10-23-2019),BlackGTP (10-16-2019),eklauss (10-16-2019),jzchev28 (10-16-2019),Neanderthal (10-16-2019),orville (10-17-2019),rand49er (10-16-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,192 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    I wonder what's in the details? Did they save a plant or two? What really held up an agreement for a month?
    the UNION to "show strength" could NOT accept the deal so had to bargain something different and LOOKS "better" - likely some bull hockey item that they "needed"

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-16-2019),eklauss (10-16-2019),orville (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    the UNION to "show strength" could NOT accept the deal so had to bargain something different and LOOKS "better" - likely some bull hockey item that they "needed"
    Well we know GM was looking to have employees pay 15% of healthcare costs and the UAW preserved them still only having to pay 3%.

Healthcare costs GM a billion a year if I recall.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 728 Posts

so....has Detroit-Hamtramck been spared?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,209 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Found this someplace...

"Details of the proposed four-year deal were not disclosed. However, the union’s members with GM are expected to receive raises of 3% to 4% or lump-sum bonuses each year as part of the accord. The deal also will include the addition or retention of 9,000 hourly U.S. jobs and a “clear path” for temporary workers with three or more years to become full-time employees, according to two people briefed on the pact.

The company’s shares jumped by about 2.5% in morning trading before leveling off to close up by just over 1% at $36.65 a share. The stock of crosstown rival Ford Motor was flat, closing at $9.07 a share.

Under the deal, GM also will invest at least $9 billion in its manufacturing operations over the life of the contract, including production of an all-electric pickup for a plant in Detroit that was potentially slated for closure. UAW members also are expected to maintain their health insurance, which is considered “gold standard” and requires employees to cover roughly 3% of the total costs, according to one person familiar with the talks."
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-16-2019),BlackGTP (10-16-2019),buildacariwant (10-18-2019),Ed753 (10-16-2019),eklauss (10-17-2019),jzchev28 (10-16-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    That's good news!

I haven't heard of any particular stock shortages - has anyone heard about actual sales losses because customers couldn't find what they wanted?
    Lots of PART shortages. Dealers and independents can't get GM parts. I haven't heard of problems with vehicle sales, though.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-16-2019),Evo69 (10-17-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    I am guessing reading comprehension - on both sides. A month is a long time, and this was the end of a contract. There is no way they were unprepared. Somebody must have a 100-word limit for the day, and got overwhelmed.

I'll bet it's a lot of no change... wasted time. That ratification bonus pays more than they would have made in the 30 days they were out. Who are we kidding? There is no sacrifice, at all.

Now put the crooks in prison, and put the clamps on them. They have clearly and repeatedly chosen to betray their members' trust. They deserve a spot in hell that is close to the heat source.
    Last edited by Chassis Guy; 10-16-2019 at 06:47 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (10-16-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,970 Times in 1,932 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Found this someplace...

"Details of the proposed four-year deal were not disclosed. However, the union’s members with GM are expected to receive raises of 3% to 4% or lump-sum bonuses each year as part of the accord. The deal also will include the addition or retention of 9,000 hourly U.S. jobs and a “clear path” for temporary workers with three or more years to become full-time employees, according to two people briefed on the pact.

The company’s shares jumped by about 2.5% in morning trading before leveling off to close up by just over 1% at $36.65 a share. The stock of crosstown rival Ford Motor was flat, closing at $9.07 a share.

Under the deal, GM also will invest at least $9 billion in its manufacturing operations over the life of the contract, including production of an all-electric pickup for a plant in Detroit that was potentially slated for closure. UAW members also are expected to maintain their health insurance, which is considered “gold standard” and requires employees to cover roughly 3% of the total costs, according to one person familiar with the talks."
    I await this all electric pickup with bated breath.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (10-16-2019)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,555 Times in 1,357 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Supposedly saved D-Ham, Lordstown and the two transmission plants still shut down.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (10-16-2019),kmacleod (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

The most interesting detail to me is that they intend to keep D-Ham open to produce an electric pickup, which must be around the corner? Or do they just limp along with the current product until the truck is ready?

FWIW, Ford's F-150 BEV isn't here until MY 2022/3 and they've already been showing it in action with prototypes running around. GM must be really good at secrets.
    Last edited by BORG; 10-16-2019 at 08:47 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,566 Times in 4,089 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Sounds like the unionistas came out of this nicely. A 3-4% annual raise, WTF? Military doesn't get that, I'll hazard they work a little harder for their pay than these siesta guys. Also getting almost all your health insurance paid is sweet and again, above and beyond what most Americans other than Congresshomies get.

And in return they'll...? Yeah, I thought so.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

eklauss (10-17-2019),Rumpole (10-17-2019),TruckMan (10-17-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Supposedly saved D-Ham, Lordstown and the two transmission plants still shut down.
    I hope this saves CT6 and Impala. Maybe a future RWD Buick?
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

28. The Following User Says Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (10-17-2019)

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast