GMs race to outflank Tesla may be stalling out

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GMs race to outflank Tesla may be stalling out

News Contributor Premium Member EJD1984's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,055 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 GMC Sierra

CNBC
    Tim Mullaney
    June 17, 2019

• GM CEO Mary Barra promised the automaker would launch 20 models of electric cars by 2023, beginning early this year.
    • The company denies claims in the trade press that it missed its self-imposed deadline for the first two product introductions this spring.
    • A slowdown in China, a ratcheting up of trade tensions and the looming expiration of a key U.S. tax credit to encourage EV adoption promise to make the job harder.

Back in 2017, General Motors CEO Mary Barra painted a future in which Americas largest carmaker would prosper by phasing out the American Graffiti vision of V8-powered freedom on the open road. GM would launch 20 models of electric cars by 2023, beginning early this year, she said, preparing for a time when cars would drive themselves and many people would use ride-hailing services rather than own cars themselves.

The future is coming fast, and were doing everything we need to do, as fast as we can, to be ready for it, GM President Mark Reuss said at a GM investor day in January.

But as hard as GM is pushing, the world pushes back. The company denies claims in the trade press that it missed its self-imposed deadline for the first two product introductions this spring, saying two models introduced in China kept the vow. But a slowdown in China, a ratcheting up of trade tensions and the looming expiration of a key U.S. tax credit to encourage EV adoption still promise to make the job harder.

Paying for some of the process by cutting costs in the existing business by $6 billion a year has added to labor tension, too, especially when Chevy announced plant closings in Ohio, Michigan, Maryland and Canada last November, even as it doubled down on its bets on electric vehicles and offered relocation to affected factory workers.
    *Full Article at Link

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,789 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: GMs race to outflank Tesla may be stalling out

GM getting the cart in front of the horse again. Serves them right when they hype where their "promises" are tough to deliver to begin with.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (06-18-2019),SierraGS (06-17-2019),steve333 (06-19-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,731 Times in 1,789 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

But as hard as GM is pushing, the world pushes back. The company denies claims in the trade press that it missed its self-imposed deadline for the first two product introductions this spring, saying two models introduced in China kept the vow. But a slowdown in China, a ratcheting up of trade tensions and the looming expiration of a key U.S. tax credit to encourage EV adoption still promise to make the job harder.
    This part sounds like a US politician twisting and deflecting things to make themselves appear like they're on top of things or better than they are too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (06-18-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,986 Times in 3,807 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    This part sounds like a US politician twisting and deflecting things to make themselves appear like they're on top of things or better than they are too.
    They should just come out and whine that It's Trump's Fault. Just ask CNBC how to do that.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (06-18-2019),Extreme4x4 (06-17-2019),ryannel2003 (06-17-2019),usa1 (06-17-2019)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

If I remember correctly, GM specified that the future electric vehicles would be introduced globally so if GM introduced the cars in China, then, that would mean they are hitting their timeline. I don't know who Tim Mullaney of CNBC is, but it appears he knows more about GM's products than GM does. If its online it must be true, eh!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 61BelAir For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (06-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,088 Times in 585 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

GM needs a new small car to replace the Cruze not more EVs

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (06-18-2019),SierraGS (06-17-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hydrogen's Avatar
    Thanks

The entire industry is stalling due to government policy making. Hybrids and EVs account for only ~5% global market share after the industry was forced to invest 100 billion dollars due to policy making. The dark ages isn't quite the right description for this era of the auto industry, however everything seems to be in turmoil. I could go on and on about this but it's not worth my time and heartache. One thing is clear, thank the lords above for pick up trucks or the American auto industry wouldn't exist.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hydrogen For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (06-18-2019),SVT74 (06-17-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,157 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    GM getting the cart in front of the horse again. Serves them right when they hype where their "promises" are tough to deliver to begin with.
    Agree 100%

GM has yet to figure out that they have "Zero Tolerance" for any error of any kind.

One problem (and their will be dozens), the GM's EV future is DONE.

The public will be extremely harsh on GM (or any other Major Automaker) for any mis-steps - True it is not fair or justified, but when has that ever stopped anyone??

Tesla is seen as the visionary underdog and gets pass after pass for issues, that would result in a major public backlash for any Major Automaker - that is reality (unjust as it is).

GM had better wake up and see what the Real World Future is, and it does not include EV's as a sizable percentage of the market for at least 10 years and probably 20 - if ever.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (06-18-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks

I would like the title to this article read.. "In GM's race to outflank Tesla,GM outflanked itself."

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,449 Times in 3,132 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse
    Anyone thinks GM will run into tent production issues?

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (06-18-2019),erasmus (06-18-2019),hydrogen (06-17-2019),jzchev28 (06-18-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hydrogen's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Anyone thinks GM will run into tent production issues?
    Only if the non-UAW workers run out of Red Bull.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,272 Times in 641 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

There's a race?
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If things with China get bad (Trump ain't making it any easier these days), GM will lose a lot of $ from that market and with all the eggs in one basket with the EVs, they are in for a tough ride.
    The truth is not all the people want en electric car. Not yet at least, charging times, network, initial cost. I just got a brand new V8 truck for half he price of a loaded Model 3. You know, I can buy a ****load of gas with the $ difference !
    Last edited by canadian.bacon; 06-18-2019 at 12:09 PM.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (06-18-2019),Neanderthal (06-18-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    If things with China get bad (Trump ain't making any easier these days), GM will lose a lot of $ from that market and with all the eggs in one basket with the EVs, they are in for a tough ride.
    The truth is not all the people want en electric car. Not yet at least, charging times, network, initial cost. I just a brand new V8 truck for half he price of a loaded Model 3. You know, I can buy a ****load of gas with the $ difference !
    The notion of "an all electric future" is plain asinine. You think that GM Management would have learned- from the past 35 years of failure starting with Roger Smith- that you cannot put all your eggs in one basket and force the public to buy something they do not want.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

News flash: GM is nowhere near the goal of 23 electric vehicles- not even close. Like the GM of the 1980s, 90s, and 00s, they are all talk and no action. The talk about "an all electric future" and Triple Zeros is cute and impresses analysts. However, at the end of the day, companies that thrive in this business will be the ones that deliver products customers want- period.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Coloradokid For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (06-20-2019)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information