GM Inside News Forum banner

GM’s BrightDrop to build delivery EVs, 500 Fedex trucks this year

11K views 85 replies 23 participants last post by  CaptainDan 
#1 ·
GM’s BrightDrop to build delivery EVs, 500 Fedex trucks this year
Electrek
Seth Weintraub
Jan. 12th 2021

The GM announcements keep coming at CES 2021 this year. Today GM CEO Mary Barra announced a new division called BrightDrop that would be building electric delivery vehicles and the technology to go along with it.

Today General Motors announced BrightDrop, a new division and brand, which will offer an “ecosystem of electric first-to-last-mile products” for logistics companies. The first of these products will deliver this year in the form of 500 FedEx delivery vehicles, but we’re told GM has many other partners who have signed letters of intent, and those will be announced later and start rolling out in 2022.

BrightDrop EP1 – BrightDrop’s first product to market, the EP1, will be a propulsion-assisted, electric pallet developed to easily move goods over short distances – for example, from the delivery vehicle to the customer’s front door. Available in early 2021, the EP1 can help reduce package touch points, costs and physical strain on delivery drivers. EP1 features and benefits include:

• Built-in electric hub motor with adjustable speed up to 3 mph depending on operator’s walking pace.
  • Maneuverable in tight spaces.
  • Carries and secures approximately 23 total cubic feet of cargo.
  • Payload capacity of 200 pounds.
  • Adjustable shelving organizes contents.
  • Lockable cabinet doors allow for secure, remote access to contents.

*Full Article at Link

See less See more
1 1
#39 ·
The "4-Spare Tires" look is very cool.

Have you driven an electric? I quickly saw how nice they are when I test drove a Volt (in electric mode), I wasn't to happy when the "generator" engine kicked in though. I bet if you test drove one, any brand, you might change your thinking. I'd be interested in your thoughts if you do!
It's more than "driving one" but gas prices are going up faster the EV batteries are going down, so...............

Where are they building it? Why announce it now? IDK, just seems like such a small thing but like I said, good for them. I just hate, no despise, the idea of another brand. Where does service happen? Purchase? Which dealer network do I have to order a Brightdrop from? Chevy? Buick? Another new slew of dealerships?
CES Show, Keynote Speaker: https://www.ces.tech/Conference/Keynote-Addresses.aspx

New Logo, New Brand and something to compete with the E-Transit?

Magnetic or electric? Not that there can't be an issue, but I'm not concerned as we've been using batteries for a long time with no ill effect. Yes, this is a lot more batteries in one spot, but Tesla drivers haven't exactly been dropping dead. Same as we are supposed to all be dead from jaw cancer due to our cell phones and 5G will be the death of us all.
lolz.

#36 ·
Should have named it Voltsmobile :D

#42 ·
Where Tesla (and more specifically Elon Musk) looks to virticalize, GM and Marry Barra are looking to take a horizontal approach to their Ultium platform.

This looks more like a delivery system rather than a commercial vehicle division. Just like containers (which are standardized), GM is looking to "containerize" the over-land and almost there shipping industry--and not with just cardboard boxes.

Containerized containers.

#73 ·
This is the best use for a BEV for commercial use and will pay for the platform.

The GMC Hummer is a great idea, but still think that a Hybrid like the new F-150 is a better solution for the Mainstream Market, especially once Ford upgrades the F-150 to a Plug-In Hybrid with longer "EV Only" range.

Hopefully GM will finally introduce a Hybrid Sierra/Silverado soon and beat Ford with a Plug-In Hybrid with 40+ Miles of Range that will be more than enough for most urban owners daily commute allowing the Hybrid to act just like a full EV Truck for daily usage, yet permit owners unlimited range and the ability to power tools, camping gear and even charge BEV vehicles. Towing and hauling heavy loads are still not viable options for EV Trucks and Vans, but there is a Huge market for Urban usage with low payloads where Full size EV Trucks and Vans shine.

Back to the EV Trucks, GM should offer a basic Work Truck as well for Fleet users who need a Full Size Pickup for 100 Mile Urban use and have the ability to re-charge them using roof mounted Solar Panels.
There are more than one solution to Electrification of the vehicle fleet and think that ultimately there will be a mix of BEV "Electric" as well as Plug In Hybrids in Full Size Truck and Vans.

Ford is going to offer a Full EV F-150 (in 2025 IIRC), so Ford will then have the advantage of offering both Hybrid and EV Trucks to cover the full spectrum of both Commercial, Fleet and Retail buyers who have much different needs, GM won't and Ford will have a market advantage.

#74 ·
Back to the EV Trucks, GM should offer a basic Work Truck as well for Fleet users who need a Full Size Pickup for 100 Mile Urban use and have the ability to re-charge them using roof mounted Solar Panels.
Not to put u on the defensive but that’s a pretty naive statement. Solar is no where near capable of recharging a vehicle in a reasonable time unless u plan to tow around an entire solar farm. It would take literally, weeks, to recharge a bev truck as u describe. And that would be in optimal conditions. I cringe when I read nonsense like this...or even better, when some random makes a comment to the effect that “regeneration brakes should be able to recapture 100% spent electricity”

#84 ·
Looks like BrightDrop now has an order for +12,000 of these vans from Merchants Fleet (described in the article as "the US’ fastest-growing fleet management company "):

Assuming FedEx buys more than the 500 they signed up to as well, looking good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.