GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Rolls Out New Logo For Electric Vehicle Push

22K views 202 replies 48 participants last post by  gkr778 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
GM unveils new logo to emphasize its pivot to electric vehicles
Andrew J. Hawkins
January 8, 2021
The Verge via MSN

General Motors debuted a new logo meant to convey the automaker’s renewed commitment to the production and sale of electric vehicles. The company is also launching a new marketing campaign to underscore that commitment, as it seeks to compete with Tesla and other automakers that are rushing new EVs to market.

It’s been about a decade since GM has last tweaked its logo, but this update represents the starkest change in the company’s 113-year history. The most obvious change is the use of a lowercase “gm” in the logo, after previously only using capital letters. The underline has been shortened to just the “m,” in a nod to the company’s recently announced Ultium electric vehicle battery and platform.

The blue square has been rounded at the corners, giving the logo more of a smartphone app appearance. The blue is used as an outline rather than to fill the entire square, and the negative space in the “m” is meant to evoke the shape of an electrical plug.

CONTINUE AT THE LINK ABOVE

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Not sure this was needed or necessary as they "focus" on EVs.

Not the least of which is because even as EVs get better, cheaper, and continue to build range, GM is still going to offer hybrids, diesels, and gasoline-powered engines in the mid-term future (not to mention continuing to possibly invest in hydrogen down the line).

This seems a little short sighted and gimmicky (and unfortunately, that seems to be a trend of late).
I'm gonna need help understanding this one........................
Yeah, I don't get it. And honestly, I bet they spent some ridiculous amount of money to pay an outside firm to come up with the logo.

And to think, at the end of the day, it almost amounts to exactly what AT&T did when they updated and changed their classic logo (invert colors, use lowercase letters).

Years later, they ditched the lowercase typeface and went back to all capital-lettering.

#18 ·
No, I hope. But the kids who design this stuff would probably look at you like you just stepped out of an inbound-from-Mars UFO if you said puzzling things like "upper case" and "lower case."
"Whaaaa? Dood! Like, whoa!! You on my case, why you talking about my case?" Etc. :fall:

Keyboard banditos probably never learned this complex stuff in skoolz.

Little gm. I don't get it.
As another said, maybe it signifies the little GM--pardon me, I mean gm--of the future. I guess it's what electricity looks like, from the wire's perspective. Electric em-power. Yeah.
Blue, you know, like green, only bluer. And and, like...

I can't wait to hear the dumb explanation of this!.

Even better yet,I can't wait to hear the story of the "brite ;)" 20 something that thought this redesigned logo up and how gm empowered them.
Pretty much what I was going to say, but I said it anyway.

Man, Mother needs to take a break from it all
zerozerozero, it's stressful after a while.

#8 ·
During the past few years, it is very common to see grammatical, spelling and punctuation errors on national and local news web sites.

When I first saw this new logo, it reminded me of the errors that are so common on many web sites, and often by people that have a problem with spelling and punctuation - and let the computer do the work (and often with errors).

#21 ·
#38 · (Edited)
gm marketing team see it as:

"The new GM logo features a color gradient of vibrant blue tones, evoking the clean skies of a zero-emissions future and the energy of the Ultium platform. The rounded edges and lower-case font create a more modern, inclusive feel. The underline of the “m” connects to the previous GM logos as well as visually representing the Ultium platform. And within the negative space of the “m” is a nod to the shape of an electrical plug"

WTF?

#41 ·
It's just altogether less impressive. Not that capital GM was an amazing logo. But this seems less substantial.

Kind of sums things up in a way. GM, or gm, getting smaller, shrinking.

What does the underlined "m" have to do with Ultium?

Reactions: tripowergto Jan2003
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.