GM Reveals 10 New Production EVs All At Once, With Range Up To 400 Miles

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Reveals 10 New Production EVs All At Once, With Range Up To 400 Miles

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

GM Reveals 10 New Production EVs All At Once, With Range Up To 400 Miles

GM reveals 10 new production EVs all at once, with range up to 400 miles
    Elektrek
    March 4, 2020

General Motors held an EV-unveiling event today that was unprecedented in the volume and range of zero-emission vehicles intended for production. Instead of showing a single new model, or one aspect of electric-propulsion technology, the company fanned out its entire upcoming portfolio using all four of GM’s existing brands: Chevrolet, Cadillac, GMC, and Buick.

Mark Reuss, GM’s president, said, “Everything you see here is real.”

The company committed to produce and sell every one of the displayed all-electric models in North America by 2025. The list includes the mid-cycle Chevrolet Bolt EV, Chevrolet Bolt EUV, GMC Hummer EV Truck, GMC Hummer EV SUT, a Chevrolet mid-size EUV, Cadillac Lyriq SUV, two Buick SUVs, and a hand-built flagship Cadillac sedan called, “Celistiq.”

The event revealed images of two additional EVs, an all-electric Chevy Truck and a Cadillac SUV. The autonomous GM/Cruise Origin was also on display. All told, 13 electric vehicles were presented.

Unfortunately, the company prevented cameras from the event. And it only released a teaser silhouette image of the Cadillac Lyriq. Images of the EVs will be released as the vehicles are fully unveiled.

The presentation took place in front of employees, media, investors, and others gathered at its Warren, Michigan technical center. Reuss said that 20,000 employees work at Warren – with 60% of them working on EV tasks (up from 20% just a few years ago). The theme from executives was that GM would bring its full industrial might to EV production.

The display of those 10 models (plus the Cruise Origin in the entryway) illustrated GM’s “multi-brand, multi-segment” strategy from “Bolt to Hummer.”

Most of the vehicles will have 400-volt battery packs with up to 200-kW fast-charging capacity. The GMC Hummer EV, and future anticipated electric pickups, will use 800-volt battery packs and related systems with 350-kW fast-charging.

GM said both the 400- and 800-volt platforms have the capability to add about 100 miles of range in 10 minutes.

One new EV after the next through 2025

What stood out during GM’s “EV Day” was the head-spinning schedule of EVs to be released in the next couple of years.

The rollout of EV models begins with a new version of the 259-mile Bolt EV launching in late 2020. That version of the Bolt is a mid-cycle update using the company’s existing EV and battery architecture. GM expects global Bolt sales to double in 2020 to about 50,000 units. Sales in the US will reach approximately 30,000 units, a year-over-year increase of about 80%. The new version now offers adaptive cruise control.

At that point, the company will move on to its third-generation EV architecture and new battery system. The Cruise Origin, a self-driving electric shared vehicle, shown in January 2020 in San Francisco, was the first product revealed using GM’s new third-generation EV platform and Ultium batteries.

Mid-2021 will have two back-to-back EV launches, starting with by the 2022 Bolt EUV, launching summer 2021. The 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV will be revealed in summer 2020, with production beginning in 2021 at GM’s Orion Township assembly plant. Its wheelbase is five inches longer than the current Bolt.

The Cadillac Lyriq luxury SUV launches in China in 2021 and in North America in 2022.

That will be followed by the GMC Hummer EV. The electric Hummer will be revealed on May 20, with production expected to begin in fall 2021 at the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant. The Hummer EVs on display were sporting 35-inch wheels, which will come standard. They also featured removable rooftops that can be stored in the frunk.

A focus on a new battery system

The centerpiece of the presentation was the company’s new battery system, dubbed “Ultium,” which will power GM EVs starting next year.

The battery system is focused on modularity, allowing different types of cells and chemistries to be used in packs ranging in size from 50 to 200 kWh, enabling “up to 400 miles of range or more.” The company committed to producing cells, in cooperation with LG Chem, that reduce the use of cobalt by 70%, thereby bringing down costs.

Each module will have a dedicated battery-management-system, a move that will allow an individual module to be replaced with a new one, and even to mix and match different chemistries within a pack. The BMS for a module will store a full set of data that can be accessed at the end of its life, facilitating the recycling and re-use of the cells.

Andy Oury, a lead engineer for batteries, said, “Ultium is going to help us break through the $100 per kilowatt-hour cost curve.” That refers to the cell price. The cost at the pack level is most likely around $120/kWh, coming close to the critical price point at which battery-powered vehicles reach price parity with combustion cars.

GM also emphasized that its modular cell-module-pack system that allows for stacking within vehicles vertically or horizontally. Packs can use modules in quantities of 6, 8, 10, and 12. In the case of the GMC Hummer EV, two sets of 12 can be stacked upon one another to utilize 24 modules reaching 200 kilowatt-hours.

Company engineers similarly introduced a “family of in-house-developed” electric motors for configurations of one, two, or three motors. The front-wheel motor version is rated at 180 kilowatts (241 hp), and the rear produces 250 kilowatts (335 hp). When the Hummer uses one motor in front and two in the back, it yields the 1,000-hp GMC Hummer EV featured in the recent Super Bowl commercial.

GM reiterated that GM’s upcoming EVs will be profitable from “very, very early in the Ultium platform,” according to Barra. The company expects to exceed more than 1 million global EV sales per year “by mid-decade.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,618 Times in 2,608 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Re: GM Reveals 10 New Production EVs All At Once, With Range Up To 400 Miles

I tried to watch but it kept crashing so gave up.

Hummer SUT sounds interesting!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (03-04-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Pretty impressive, I guess now we know why they've been letting more then a few vehicles rest on the vine. They've probable been sinking more then half of the companies engineering RnD in this. Pretty close to that magical number of 500 mile range too. Just imagine with a 500 mile range to travel 100000 miles which takes most people years to do. You would only have to charge the vehicle 200 times. Depending on how much you drive you could litterally go months without needing to plug it in. Even with these cars max range of 400. That still only adds 50 additional charge cycles to get to 100000. And then to think at the max charge current it will take less then an hour to be fully topped off, like damn. Don't be surprised if in ten years and people are driving around in 1000 mile battery packs, that some people forget how to even plug their cars in because it's such an infrequent thing.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Link2877 For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (03-04-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Link2877 View Post
    Pretty impressive, I guess now we know why they've been letting more then a few vehicles rest on the vine. They've probable been sinking more then half of the companies engineering RnD in this. Pretty close to that magical number of 500 mile range too. Just imagine with a 500 mile range to travel 100000 miles which takes most people years to do. You would only have to charge the vehicle 200 times. Depending on how much you drive you could litterally go months without needing to plug it in. Even with these cars max range of 400. That still only adds 50 additional charge cycles to get to 100000. And then to think at the max charge current it will take less then an hour to be fully topped off, like damn. Don't be surprised if in ten years and people are driving around in 1000 mile battery packs, that some people forget how to even plug their cars in because it's such an infrequent thing.
    Ehhh, not quite. EV cars use power even when just sitting because they're constantly monitoring the SOC (state of charge).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (03-05-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,697 Times in 2,398 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    In any regard, it’s still quite an impressive show from GM, deep pockets and lots of eager customers ready to buy.

Good job GM

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Accord Coupe' V6 6spd

Andy Oury, a lead engineer for batteries, said, “Ultium is going to help us break through the $100 per kilowatt-hour cost curve.” That refers to the cell price. The cost at the pack level is most likely around $120/kWh, coming close to the critical price point at which battery-powered vehicles reach price parity with combustion cars.
    This will be fantastic if accurate.

GM also emphasized that its modular cell-module-pack system that allows for stacking within vehicles vertically or horizontally. Packs can use modules in quantities of 6, 8, 10, and 12. In the case of the GMC Hummer EV, two sets of 12 can be stacked upon one another to utilize 24 modules reaching 200 kilowatt-hours.
    Another interesting tidbit.

Good work GM!
    "I do not care about inequality because I'm not envious. I care about poverty."

Apostrophes: Hidden Content

Spelling: Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,143 Times in 3,454 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

So does Tesla have Ultium batteries?

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    We will find out what Tesla has from their "Battery Day" in April.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,493 Times in 2,263 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Verrry Interrrsestinq.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    Well they just reveal about a bunch of small hardware updates that have allowed the S to get a 390 mile range rating now.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 608 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Well, that’s a trademarked name by GM and LG, so if they do, then not by that name.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,487 Times in 1,287 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    April 1st?
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

19. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-05-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    April 1st?
    GM at least had enough sense to reveal the Lyriq on April 2.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (03-05-2020),gkr778 (03-05-2020)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Sierra Denali Ultimate

Man comments on Elektrek are a disaster.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to wallus13 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (03-06-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,143 Times in 3,454 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    Well, that’s a trademarked name by GM and LG, so if they do, then not by that name.
    LG seems to be the manufacturing partner, GM owns the chemistry, quite impressive, Mother Barrah served a lot of coolaid today, I drank it, I am high on her sugar to the point of being skeptical...

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information