GM retreats from more overseas battlefields

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM retreats from more overseas battlefields

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

GM retreats from more overseas battlefields

https://www.autonews.com/automakers-...s-battlefields

"General Motors is continuing its overseas retreat, shelving its Holden brand in Australia and New Zealand and completely pulling out of Thailand.
    The shake-up announced last week amplifies a downsizing that has seen the Detroit automaker pare down operations in Western Europe, Russia, India, Africa and beyond in recent years to focus on more rewarding markets.

The result is a GM more dependent than ever on the U.S., China, Latin America and South Korea".

More at the link. Somehow this reminds me of a famous song...

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bongos2u For This Useful Post:

hq308 (02-26-2020),steve333 (02-26-2020),yello430 (02-26-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,334 Posts

Re: GM retreats from more overseas battlefields

linky no workie, so is there anything new to this or just a rehash of the other 3 threads on this topic?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    linky no workie, so is there anything new to this or just a rehash of the other 3 threads on this topic?

This article is from today's autonews.com. One usually has access to a couple of "free" articles until you get a message saying you need a subscription.
    Last edited by bongos2u; 02-25-2020 at 12:40 AM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,338 Times in 1,334 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bongos2u View Post
    This article is from today's autonews.com. One usually has access to a couple of "free" articles until you get a message saying you need a subscription.
    That's exactly what it says, so since linky no workie for me, and the blurb you quoted is the same as the others, I'm asking, since I trust you've read it, is there anything new?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

jzchev28 (02-25-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,530 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Welcome to last week
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-25-2020),jzchev28 (02-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,323 Times in 4,563 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I need a subscription to read it as well. But I'll assume it's a rehash.

In all the years I've been following GM I don't recall any of these secondary markets producing a profit of any meaningful nature and most producing losses. Granted, I am going from memory, but I doubt GM is retreating from markets that are strongly profitable. Good riddance, divesting these markets will make GM stronger and allow management to better focus on a few, big markets and hopefully improve their execution.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-25-2020),Al465 (02-29-2020),jzchev28 (02-25-2020),TruckMan (02-25-2020),wallus13 (02-25-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I need a subscription to read it as well. But I'll assume it's a rehash.

In all the years I've been following GM I don't recall any of these secondary markets producing a profit of any meaningful nature and most producing losses. Granted, I am going from memory, but I doubt GM is retreating from markets that are strongly profitable. Good riddance, divesting these markets will make GM stronger and allow management to better focus on a few, big markets and hopefully improve their execution.
    There were periods when Opel/Vauxhall's profits were keeping GM afloat - I believe that the same was true of Holden profits although at different times - I can't believe or accept that Opel, Vauxhall and Holden made net losses over about a century.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Angurisha (02-25-2020),CadillacSA (02-25-2020),Evo69 (03-01-2020),hq308 (02-26-2020),SierraGS (03-01-2020)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,486 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    There were periods when Opel/Vauxhall's profits were keeping GM afloat - I believe that the same was true of Holden profits although at different times - I can't believe or accept that Opel, Vauxhall and Holden made net losses over about a century.

It was sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s that Opel/Vauxhall had a great run. Their market share was up and they were very profitable. GM in North America was in serious trouble (late to the SUV market, the new W-bodies resulted in a massive drop in sales), some said close to bankruptcy. Opel/Vauxhall was a bright stop and I've heard that those profits helped GM stave off bankruptcy, though they were never big enough to keep the company in the black. But they kept the creditors happy.

Hated to see GM give up on Europe after having been a presence there for so many decades. I guess the results in their last twenty years pretty well showed that they were clueless on how to turn it around.

Once Opel was dead, it was likely only a matter of time for Holden. Sad to see a company with such a cool history gone.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-25-2020),CadillacSA (02-25-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,882 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    It was sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s that Opel/Vauxhall had a great run. Their market share was up and they were very profitable. GM in North America was in serious trouble (late to the SUV market, the new W-bodies resulted in a massive drop in sales), some said close to bankruptcy. Opel/Vauxhall was a bright stop and I've heard that those profits helped GM stave off bankruptcy, though they were never big enough to keep the company in the black. But they kept the creditors happy.

Hated to see GM give up on Europe after having been a presence there for so many decades. I guess the results in their last twenty years pretty well showed that they were clueless on how to turn it around.

Once Opel was dead, it was likely only a matter of time for Holden. Sad to see a company with such a cool history gone.
    GM Detroit should have realised from the Daewoo-Chevrolet fiasco in Europe that they simply don't understand overseas markets so best keep their nose out and let the subsidiary do what it knows best - as I understand it, GM Detroit's interference in Holden was a major part of the problem there.

We can only dream what might have been if Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and Buick had been set up as a fully independent division.

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Ruperts Trooper For This Useful Post:

Angurisha (02-25-2020),Chassis Guy (02-26-2020),Evo69 (03-01-2020),GM_Guy81 (03-03-2020),hq308 (02-26-2020),richmond2000 (02-26-2020),SierraGS (03-01-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (02-25-2020)

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,243 Times in 1,486 Posts

GM Detroit should have realised from the Daewoo-Chevrolet fiasco in Europe that they simply don't understand overseas markets so best keep their nose out and let the subsidiary do what it knows best - as I understand it, GM Detroit's interference in Holden was a major part of the problem there.

We can only dream what might have been if Opel, Vauxhall, Holden and Buick had been set up as a fully independent division.
    It probably all stems from Roger Smith's elimination of the old divisional structure. Buick, Olds, and Cadillac really were one division. Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Canada were another division. I'm not sure what happened with Opel and Holden, but they probably lost their individuality in the name of streamlining and consolidating operations.

With all the other major companies having stopped manufacturing in Australia, maybe GM had to too. But you this company with a long, successful history and at the end you were stocking it with rebadged products that were nothing like what made the company successful. It's sounds like the just wanted out of the market. Didn't Holden used to sell 200K Commodores at one point? Real Commodores, not rebadged FWD Insignias?
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,746 Times in 2,428 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

I guess the more articles you dig up helps build the general consensus of your agenda.

Thanks
    My Ride

Yes, I'm sure there was a time. But the world has changed with a lot more competition and different dynamics. Australia's market has changed substantially over the past 30 years, Australian's no longer want the expensive Australian built Ute or a big V8 Commodore, they want cheaper Asian vehicles.

I would've like GM to have tried using Chinese made/market vehicles in Australia, though I suspect there would've been a huge backlash with that...

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    It probably all stems from Roger Smith's elimination of the old divisional structure. Buick, Olds, and Cadillac really were one division. Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Canada were another division. I'm not sure what happened with Opel and Holden, but they probably lost their individuality in the name of streamlining and consolidating operations.

With all the other major companies having stopped manufacturing in Australia, maybe GM had to too. But you this company with a long, successful history and at the end you were stocking it with rebadged products that were nothing like what made the company successful. It's sounds like the just wanted out of the market. Didn't Holden used to sell 200K Commodores at one point? Real Commodores, not rebadged FWD Insignias?
    But it sounds to me like the market changed and didn't want "real Commodores" but created really bad blood with the consumers when GM stopped building the rwd V8 cars. In other words, like the Ute, everyone loved them and thought GM should've continued to build them, but then turned their backs when it was time to buy and went running for a Toyota. The market changed....

23. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

GMOwner (02-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 Times in 753 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

GM is very focused on profit and financial strength these days which good as long as they don't forget the products and quality.

Leaving zombie markets and markets they never make money in makes sense but it's always troubling to me that they can't make money in some of these places when others do.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (03-01-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,400 Times in 1,245 Posts

Nothing wrong with this...They weren't doing all that well in those markets anyway...best to retreat to your strong markets than to try and force the issue resulting in losses just for the sake of being there. Retreat to NA/China, work on your product, and then maybe expand back out when those 2 markets show growth.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information