GM Responds To NYT Lordstown Plant Cover Story - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM Responds To NYT Lordstown Plant Cover Story

Thanks
    Thanked 1,809 Times in 959 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Re: GM Responds To NYT Lordstown Plant Cover Story

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    The Blazer plant has been there since 1981.
    Correct. And Ramos Arizpe Assembly has been one of the highest quality vehicle assembly plants in GM's North American manufacturing network for over 30 years.

From an editorial in the early 1990s:

"It's time North American auto workers and their managers devote less time to complaining about low Mexican wages and spend more effort attempting to match high quality Mexican labor. A car plant in Ramos Arizpe, 200 miles south of the U.S. border in Mexico, maintains the highest production-quality standards in the entire empire of General Motors, fading, but still the world's largest car manufacturer.

California research group, J.D. Power & Associates, in their annual report on such developments rated Ramos Arizpe Numero Uno among G.M. plants, which averages 86 glitches per 100 cars. The current industry average in the entire U.S. auto industry is 140 glitches, down dramatically from a few years ago. The Ramos Arizpe plant produces Buick Centurys and Chevrolet Cavaliers. Not just for Mexico. These cars are now sold in the U.S. and Canada -- 234,895 last year to be exact. Buyers of these models are the luckiest of all General Motors buyers, because their vehicles were made in Mexico. Fewer than eight percent of all U.S. buyers of these models had any claims against the warranties! The brutal fact is that either of these Mexican-made models is a better buy than an identical car made in Ste. Therese, Quebec or in Oklahoma City.

How did this happen? Attitude. The new, young (average age 22) Mexican workers, are where North American auto workers were in the 1950s. Today's Mexican auto workers have those demanding jobs they wanted. The pay, US$3 per hour, by local contemporary standards is miraculous, worker self-esteem and public admiration is high. This makes them work their butts off. Production keeps climbing, defects continue to diminish and salaries keep going up. Today this happens in Mexico, not Oshawa, Windsor or Detroit.

For years we heard how Detroit and Oshawa maligned Japanese workers claiming "what can they make out of old American beer cans?" Apparently General Motors finally learned that lesson well. They didn't say that about Mexicans. The old-age belief that unskilled workers in developing countries could not match educated, skilled union workers in a developed country obviously isn't true. It's been done in Mexico and very quickly. New untrained workers, in many cases not educated anywhere near as well as the rest of North Americans, receive more paid training -- seven weeks vs. four in the U.S. They were willing to learn new ways. This plant didn't even have to spend zillions on expensive automation. The Ramos Arizpe, factory has only one robot. Probably so they won't be accused of racism. These younger, untrained workers have a better attitude, accept new processes quicker and do not suffer from "the old ways are better ways" attitude associated with American and Canadian militant union workers. These Mexicans have learned the importance of quality is in a globalized world. Not only G.M. has seen this writing on the computer screen. All Volkswagan production for North America is now in Mexico. Nissan, the only Japanese manufacturer so far in Mexico, is rolling the dice for big bucks and are building a massive billion dollar plant at Aguascalientes, 150 miles north of Guadalajara. The plant will only be half as automated as those in Japan, but within a year they will, be exporting more than 60,000 Sentra cars annually from Mexico -- to quality conscious Japanese!

At this stage in such a revelation, most discussions fall back on the idea that better American or Canadian management has produced this wonder. But only three of the 121 managers in all G.M.'s Mexican operations are Americans, no Canadians!

At one time, Detroit, Windsor and Oshawa used to stand for quality and high production auto manufacturing. That title passed to Japan and South Korea. Now Mexico, once known for jumping beans and fritos, is starting to appear on world auto production charts - at the top. A great place to start.

Late flash: The best Ford is now also made in Mexico. At the Ford plant in Hermosillo."
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (06-06-2019),richmond2000 (06-06-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    I could be wrong but i believe lordstown plant was designed for narrow vehicles to be
    produced there...

Gm didnt want to invest the money...its their business...their choice.

Get over it.

I liked the letter.
    That's my beef with GM over this. They limited investment that could have prevented this. I don't expect that anyone has a perfect crystal ball, but people within the company were questioning decisions made there. I am in more of a "you never really tried to be the best here" mindset. That is so old GM in thinking. When is "just OK" actually OK?

GM made this. The workers pay for it. There were better ideas for both Cobalt and Cruze that got shot down.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-06-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Quote Originally Posted by gkr778 View Post
    Correct. And Ramos Arizpe Assembly has been one of the highest quality vehicle assembly plants in GM's North American manufacturing network for over 30 years.

From an editorial in the early 1990s:
    So their Azteks and Rendezvous were winning awards? As a long-time HHR owner, I would say they were average.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,080 Times in 581 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Small car market is still large - GM didn't have the right product.

I see tons of commuters still driving small cars every morning and very few have bow ties on them.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-06-2019),Neanderthal (06-06-2019)

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post

I see tons of commuters still driving small cars every morning and very few have bow ties on them.
    Hence why Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai aren't moving away from them. Younger people who can't afford a small CUV want small sedans.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PastorChevyGuy For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-06-2019),Neanderthal (06-06-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post

Yes! Not everyone can afford or wants to pay the ridiculous prices for trucks/SUVs. Plus millennials apparently love sedans/hatches, good for them (for the record I’m way too old to be a millennial).

https://www.mediapost.com/publicatio...ve-sedans.html
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

but... The thing is.. and I can't figure out why no one zeros in on this amazing fact:

We don’t dismiss the personal challenges our Lordstown employees face. But like other G.M. hourly employees, they have the opportunity to relocate to plants in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Kentucky and other states to maintain their jobs, which can pay more than $100,000 a year, including the most generous profit-sharing plan in the auto industry.
    People can call it greed if U want... but where else.. who else is paying upwards of $100K and profit sharing.. not to mention other perks.. to HOURLY workers, some of which don't even have time put into a community college, anywhere in the auto industry.. or any other industry in this country?

If anyone of U run a business.. whether it be 1-5 employees, 10-50 employees, or 100-500 employees and have a situation where U are paying them $100K a year.. no no.. let me go conservative and say $70K a year versus say a competitor (let's call them Toyota) who is paying their employees $45K due to not being tied to UNIONS.. U'd move too.

U folks want to blame GM.. or even Ford.. or even Chry.. but in truth this is due to UNIONS. They create an atmosphere that is completely noncompetitive in certain segments. Simple as that. The CRUZE was a very nice compact.. and U can put a Civic next to it.. test it.. without a badge and I bet good money U come out thinking they are equal at worst. No one here can tell me that a Corolla or Sentra.. and damn sure not the Elantra are better cars. They simply are more profitable to make because Alabama (in the Elantra's case) doesn't have to deal with the UAW.

How Lordstown could have saved their jobs from git? Negotiate a similar contract that Orion did back in '12. Have every damn body U know buy Cruzes. (It always tripped me out going into Detroit or Michigan and not seeing every car car on the road with Michigan plates not be a GM, Ford, or Chry)
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

JBsZ06 (06-06-2019),sdotjeezy (06-06-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,002 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    That's my beef with GM over this. They limited investment that could have prevented this. I don't expect that anyone has a perfect crystal ball, but people within the company were questioning decisions made there. I am in more of a "you never really tried to be the best here" mindset. That is so old GM in thinking. When is "just OK" actually OK?

GM made this. The workers pay for it. There were better ideas for both Cobalt and Cruze that got shot down.
    The 100 grand a year plus benefits is way too high...

Meanwhile i think the vega was designed to be built there and I could be wrong...it could be the paint shop but to redesign the vega plant design was prohibitive and there is a feeling by many manufacturers that there is an overcapacity that needs to be addressed should the auto market in the USA...

You cant blame gm for being proactive to what auto analysts are saying is coming...

Meanwhile last months SAAR was 17.4 million..

I think its the chinese onslaught of over capacity nearing 22 million units a year that has gm closing shop in europe and planning proactively in commodity driven sedan market in the USA...

Chevy kept the malibu so not every sedan is gone ...

The spark, the sonic should disappear too...

If consimers are buying cuvs and trucks to the tune of 72 percent of sales last month...

Id say gm is moving in a correct path and the employees let go due to closure at lordstown were offered relocation or retirement ...

Thats not too abusive .
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,982 Times in 3,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

delete
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-06-2019 at 11:20 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,982 Times in 3,805 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    but... The thing is.. and I can't figure out why no one zeros in on this amazing fact:

People can call it greed if U want... but where else.. who else is paying upwards of $100K and profit sharing.. not to mention other perks.. to HOURLY workers, some of which don't even have time put into a community college, anywhere in the auto industry.. or any other industry in this country?

If anyone of U run a business.. whether it be 1-5 employees, 10-50 employees, or 100-500 employees and have a situation where U are paying them $100K a year.. no no.. let me go conservative and say $70K a year versus say a competitor (let's call them Toyota) who is paying their employees $45K due to not being tied to UNIONS.. U'd move too.

U folks want to blame GM.. or even Ford.. or even Chry.. but in truth this is due to UNIONS. They create an atmosphere that is completely noncompetitive in certain segments. Simple as that. The CRUZE was a very nice compact.. and U can put a Civic next to it.. test it.. without a badge and I bet good money U come out thinking they are equal at worst. No one here can tell me that a Corolla or Sentra.. and damn sure not the Elantra are better cars. They simply are more profitable to make because Alabama (in the Elantra's case) doesn't have to deal with the UAW.

How Lordstown could have saved their jobs from git? Negotiate a similar contract that Orion did back in '12. Have every damn body U know buy Cruzes. (It always tripped me out going into Detroit or Michigan and not seeing every car car on the road with Michigan plates not be a GM, Ford, or Chry)
    Anxiously awaiting your write-up of your tests in Reader Car Reviews, of Cruz, Civic, Corolla, Sentra, Elantra, Forte...what have I missed? Ford? What's that, the Focus? Looking forward to it!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

joey (06-07-2019)

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information