GM Inside News Forum banner

GM to recall 275,936 cars in U.S. due to fluid leak

17K views 66 replies 44 participants last post by  GM Tech Mike 
#1 ·
http://www.marketwatch.com/News/Sto...47FF-8A92-59CE5F599EA2}&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

GM is recalling 275,936 Cadillac, Pontiac and Saturn sedans ranging from 2005 to 2007 due to a problem in the rear axle pinion seal that could lead to a fluid leak, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said Friday. The leak could lock up the drivewheel, causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle. GM said the recall is expected to begin in February 2008.

#4 ·
The recall involves 275,936 vehicles in the United States, including the 2005-2007 Cadillac CTS and STS sedans, 2005-2007 Cadillac SRX crossovers, and 2006-2007 Pontiac Solstice and the 2007 Saturn Sky convertibles. About 38,000 additional vehicles are under recall in Mexico, Canada, the Middle East and Asia, GM said.

#51 ·
GM is still the lowest even with this recall. In total I'd estimate about 500K units for GM for the whole year. This is a very good result.

Toyota is 2nd lowest at about 700-800K units for the year.

Ford, Chrysler, Nissan and VW all are way up there, over 1 million or more.

These are NHTSA stats only.

#12 ·
Don't get me wrong, recalls are not good, but I'd much rather be on the wrong end of a seal than transmission problems and the other whack of much more costly repairs Toyota has had to deal with.

Nobody's perfect, but I'm glad to see the imperfections be smaller, easier things to fix like a seal.

#16 ·
Don't get me wrong, recalls are not good, but I'd much rather be on the wrong end of a seal than transmission problems and the other whack of much more costly repairs Toyota has had to deal with.
Sounds a bit more serious than that.
GM said the seal on the rear axle pinion, which provides power to the wheels, does not meet all specifications and could leak fluid. GM spokeswoman Carolyn Markey said the leak could lead to the drivewheel jamming up and locking while the vehicle is being driven, possibly causing the driver to lose control

#17 ·
Ok ok . Firstly. I am a through and through GM guy, I haven't liked many cars as of late at their price range so I'm not driving a GM at the moment but.. nevermind.

First and foremost. We all need to be f------ checking outselves for bashing the tundra for like 15k recalls, when this happens...

If your gonna bash the tundra, bash these vehicles diffs now..

This has been a LONG and on going problems. I've talked to so many people who could NOT get this rear end to stop leaking. How friggin hard is it to seal something for crying out loud. Crap-tastic design no doubt.

I could get two pieces of wood with no gasket to seal better than these diffs.

Sigh.

I AM thankful that GM did the right thing and will offer relief to these poor guys.

#21 ·
Ok ok . Firstly. I am a through and through GM guy, I haven't liked many cars as of late at their price range so I'm not driving a GM at the moment but.. nevermind.

First and foremost. We all need to be f------ checking outselves for bashing the tundra for like 15k recalls, when this happens...

If your gonna bash the tundra, bash these vehicles diffs now..

This has been a LONG and on going problems. I've talked to so many people who could NOT get this rear end to stop leaking. How friggin hard is it to seal something for crying out loud. Crap-tastic design no doubt.

I could get two pieces of wood with no gasket to seal better than these diffs.

Sigh.

I AM thankful that GM did the right thing and will offer relief to these poor guys.
We have been bashing these rear siffs for quite some time.

#18 ·
N O T

G O O D !

I have an '05 CTS. I wonder if I'll get a letter. I've seen no evidence of any fluid leaks at all.

The rear-ends of the CTS have been a problem for years, now.

#22 ·
I had an '07 Sky Redline, and while I didn't have it long, the rear diff did make a couple grinding noises. Plus the guys over at skyroadster.com have been talking about horriffic problems and some service departments not takeing care of them. Even at Saturn!! It scared the s*** outta me. One reason I got rid of it. Mainly just practicality though. GM needs to be kissing these guys butts for dragging this out for so long!!

#23 ·
I am glad GM did not take a page out of Toyota's playbook and throw Getrag under the bus like has happend with Tundra suppliers. Instead of blaming thier suppliers in an attempt to look good GM simply states the part does not meet their specs. (e.g. Toyota making excuses for thier cam shaft and driveline failures and blaming their suppliers). Its nice that they are not pointing fingers and spinning this in a stupid PR move, but it does suck that GM has a large recall on their hands now.

#30 ·
How long does it take a manufacturer to come up with a fix for a problem like this and is the fix the responsibility of the supplier or the vehicle producer? Whatever the answers, it is not good publicity for G.M. Also does the 2008 CTS use the same diff.?

#31 ·
I am guessing here (since I have not actually seen these vehicles) but a diff will only sieze once it runs very low on lubrication. It will make a lot of noise for some time before this happens though. I guess they just use worst case scenarios here.

Holden used the BTR (Borg Warner) diffs in the Commodore for years and they were noisey and largely unreliable. For VE production they have shifted to a ZF design. These are nice and quiet and although it is early (only 13 or so months since SOP) they are so far reliable.

#33 ·
"Your under the impression that people bash the Tundra because of the recall. People bash it because it is a Toyota and it is trying to move in and take sales from GM. Oh and here is a little bit of info, this is a PRO GM NEWS SITE."

Dude, I've probably been reading this site longer than you have... I am also very pro GM, but in case you haven't realized this site seems to kinda flop with whichever way the wind is blowing.

For instance the Nissan GTR thread, if it were against any other car than the corvette, many members would be saying. SEeE I Know GM is a POS even Nissan out trumps blah blah... They'd say that based on the specs.

Then 4 months later there would be a thread that would say, the Nissan GTR competitor out does the Nissan in every category... THen this site would say, see I knew GM was the best, why can't all GM cars be this good.

I've actually been annoyed with some members and their wishy washiness as of late.

BUT, my point to the thread is, if you are going to be consistantly wishy washy, then hey, criticize where there some criticism is due. I.E. in this case having GM wait so long to take care of this issue, that I've encountered with friends of mine.

I mean honestly guys, this was something long overdue for attention, and if we are going to criticize Toyota or 2 bad camshafts, and 9 bad trannies ( obviously exaggerating ) then we should surely wring our shirt collars with a look of discomfort over our good ole friend the Foot in mouth shoe horn salesmen for yet another timely visit.

#34 · (Edited)
There have been times when this site was harder on GM some of general Auto sites out there. I think this site is one of the best fanboi sites in that we are much harder on GM. If search was working, I would link to the posts where the leaking diff was talked about on the CTS.

Do the same search on Sludge on a Toyota site and you would never get the same fairness. Secondly, in recalls, the General is doing incredible(10 days left and knocking on wood) this year and I think that should be celebrated.

As far as bashing, I would hope that GM would always be less bashed on a GM website. If not, it wouldn't be as enjoyable for the people that are fans of the home team.

Plus, you will never have strong consistency with groups of people, only individuals.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.