GM Inside News Forum banner

GM to keep Oshawa plant alive, preserving 300 jobs

3K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  InCogKneeToe 
#1 · (Edited)
GM to make an announcement about operations in Oshawa, Ont.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/gm-unifor-oshawa-operations-1.5127356

The heads of Unifor and General Motors Canada are set to make an announcement this morning about the future of operations in Oshawa, Ont.

A statement from the union's Local 222 says national president Jerry Dias and Travis Hester, GM Canada's president and managing director, will hold a news conference in Toronto starting at 11 a.m. ET.

The statement offers few other details, other than the announcement will concern "operations in Oshawa."

GM announced last November it would cease production at the plant by the end of 2019, affecting about 2,600 workers.

In March, Unifor suspended a media campaign against GM amid what the union called productive talks with the automaker on the future of the plant.

The union said the company had been clear it wouldn't extend vehicle manufacturing in Oshawa beyond the end of the year, but acknowledged there is potential to transform operations to maintain some jobs.

See less See more
#2 ·
GM to keep Oshawa plant alive, preserving 300 jobs

Plant to be transformed into a supplier of aftermarket parts for existing models and test track for autonomous vehicles

General Motors of Canada will keep its Oshawa operations partially alive, investing $170 million and preserving 300 jobs as it transforms the plant into a supplier of aftermarket parts for existing models.

The automaker will also use 55 acres of the Oshawa property to create a test track for autonomous and advanced technology vehicles.

https://business.financialpost.com/transportation/autos/gm-to-keep-oshawa-alive-preserve-300-jobs

#5 ·
Re: GM to make an announcement about operations in Oshawa, Ont.

https://www.680news.com/2019/05/08/gm-to-maintain-auto-presence-in-oshawa-build-autonomous-test-track/

GM to maintain auto presence in Oshawa, build autonomous test track.
The union representing Canada’s auto workers claimed a partial victory Tuesday after General Motors Canada announced its Oshawa, Ont., plant, which was slated to close later this year, will be converted to a part-stamping and autonomous vehicle testing facility.

Unifor and GM Canada said the transition will cost $170 million and save 300 of the 2,600 union jobs at the plant, with the potential to grow and attract more jobs as the facility attracts new customers.

#6 ·
Re: GM to make an announcement about operations in Oshawa, Ont.

This is about the best anyone could of hoped for. It won't become the next Buick City, as in demolished, for now. At least it keeps a footprint there with the possibility other suppliers could move in down the road, like Magna etc. The union would be the major obstacle to that though. I still see GM selling off some of the land, building and parking lots to Condo developers.

#11 · (Edited)
Even if they announced this earlier this would of still been spun to make GM look just as bad. Jobs were going to be lost regardless but saving 300 and loosing 2600 jobs are equivalently evil when talking about GM (I think it's a law now or something).

#13 ·
Yup..GM could have said that they were hiring 300 more workers to add to the 2600 and someone would have still chimed in and spoke of how evil GM was.. its is a law. passed back in '66 I believe. It's Called "Naderism";)

#19 · (Edited)
It would be really really funny if GM read this.. then released a press release saying that they had reconsidered.. "Because some people are just blatantly ungrateful.":mad:

U really want to be mad at someone.. be mad at UNIFOR. They are along with our UAW.. making North American Labor NONCOMPETITIVE in the industrial system.

Reactions: gkr778 and TruckMan
#25 ·
But there is a certain racial difference with Mexico that Canada seemly doesn't have.. of course most people who feel that way don't actually seem to realize that Canada has a LOT of immigrants from Mexico and South America.. and.. ut oh.. ASIA, Its literally why we are cool with German cars being considered better than American cars.. from git, but it took the Japanese a while to be seen as superior.. and we absolutely don't want the Chinese cars here.

#29 ·
IMHO, electric powered and autonomous vehicles is a little premature. On hot summer days, folks get home and turn on the A/C to max. And up till now things have been precariously held at bay. But I know of no massive work do on the nations infrastructure and or the power grid. Before retiring, I worked in NYC and remember very well back in 2003 when a transformer in Ohio, blew and that shut down the Canadian transfer unit which cut all power to the Mid-Atlantic states. I was sitting on the FDR expressway, and could see the George Washington bridge ( only a 3 minute drive prior) and it took 3 hours to get up there.

Now unless I've been in the dark (Figuratively speaking ) Where is the electricity needed to power any more or just be able to keep current power demands on the grid up and running? I don't care if it's a GM or Elon Musk vehicle or a simple home computer. You can't get something from nothing. In the urban city areas, it's a real task just keep your car from being stolen, than to recharge it's battery. GM Ford and Chrysler all need to deal with the powering issue first. It took years for the gasoline fueling issue before you could go on a long drive in fear of running out of gasoline. and now electricity.

#30 ·
GM should still build a worldclass mid size and compact car on platforms that also make SUVs...plus we need some smaller RWD/AWD SUVs as well such as Ford is doing with the new explorer. GM sedan sales were weak because they were not the best in class. And honestly I don't see the reality behind the push for autonomous and electric cars. A product noone really wants. Gas is cheap and cars are more efficient than ever. The impact of using electric cars would be negligible on the environment. Its all an artificial concern. Why not develop world class hybrids that get 500+ mile ranges.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.