GM Inside News Forum banner

GM Investing $2 Billion to Transition Spring Hill, Tennessee Plant

4K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  Greg Burr 
#1 ·
GM Investing $2 Billion to Transition Spring Hill, Tennessee Plant to Build Electric Vehicles, including Cadillac LYRIQ
General Motors

WARREN, Mich. — General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) announced today that its Spring Hill, Tennessee assembly plant will begin the transition to become the company’s third vehicle manufacturing site to produce electric vehicles, joining Factory ZERO in Detroit and Hamtramck, Michigan, and Orion Assembly in Orion Township, Michigan. In addition, the company is confirming investments in five Michigan plants, including the Lansing Delta Township Assembly and Flint Assembly for future crossover and full-size pickup production.

The all-new Cadillac LYRIQ will be the first EV produced at Spring Hill. Production of the Cadillac XT6 and XT5 will continue at Spring Hill. The facility will build both traditionally powered Cadillac products and EVs.

The six U.S. facility investments total more than $2 billion, bringing the total amount GM has invested or committed to invest in its U.S. manufacturing sites to more than $29 billion since 2009. Today’s planned investments include:

• $2 billion will be invested in Spring Hill Manufacturing to build fully electric vehicles including the luxury Cadillac LYRIQ. Through this investment, Spring Hill’s paint and body shops will undergo major expansions and the general assembly will receive comprehensive upgrades, including new machines, conveyors, controls and tooling. The renovation work in Spring Hill will begin immediately.
  • Production of the next-generation GMC Acadia will move to Lansing Delta Township Assembly, representing an investment of more than $100 million.
  • $32 million will be invested at Flint Assembly for future production of heavy-duty Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra pickups, which have gained significant market share in the United States and Canada.
  • $17 million will be invested in the Romulus, Michigan propulsion plant to enhance automation and increase capacity of GM’s 10-speed truck transmission, which is used in full-size pickups and other key products, including the all-new Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban, GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, and the Cadillac Escalade.
  • $3.5 million will be invested at Orion Assembly. In addition, $750,000 will be invested at GM’s site in Brownstown Charter Township, Michigan. Both investments are related to additional production of the Cruise AV test vehicle at Orion Assembly.
*Full Press Release at Link

#2 ·
IMO the best part is the plant will continue to make ICE vehicles so they’ll be able to dial in EV vs ICE depending on demand.

“The facility will build both traditionally powered Cadillac products and EVs.”

#4 · (Edited)
This sounds somewhat similar to what's happening to Ford's Oakville plant, transiting from ICE Crossovers to BEV Crossovers. My guess is that XT5/XT6 will be replaced by BEVs just like Edge/Nautilus.

It's amazing how similarly these companies tend to mirror each other. Not to copy each other, but they are responding to the same market trends independently while reaching similar conclusions.

#8 ·
Which platforms are Ford BEV's going on? The Mach E? Is that a dedicated BEV platform or is it an adaptation of an existing platform like the Bolt.

I am looking forward to checking out the Mach E, based on range, it might make sense for me financially to switch to one. I cannot bring myself to drive a Tesla. I am not that cool.

The other really tempting vehicle for me is the Lyric based on price indication. When I price out a BEV, I think of the price of gasoline as going towards the car payment

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.