GM & Honda to Jointly Develop Next-Gen Honda EVs Powered by GMs Ultium Batteries

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM & Honda to Jointly Develop Next-Gen Honda EVs Powered by GMs Ultium Batteries

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

GM & Honda to Jointly Develop Next-Gen Honda EVs Powered by GMs Ultium Batteries

General Motors and Honda to Jointly Develop Next-Generation Honda Electric Vehicles Powered by GMs Ultium Batteries
    General Motors
    April 2, 2020

• Builds on GMs proven advanced technology relationship with Honda
    • Honda will develop unique interior and exterior designs for Honda customers
    • EVs will be produced on GMs flexible global EV platform to increase scale and capacity utilization

DETROIT and TORRANCE, Calif. General Motors and Honda have agreed to jointly develop two all-new electric vehicles for Honda, based on GMs highly flexible global EV platform powered by proprietary Ultium batteries. The exteriors and interiors of the new EVs will be exclusively designed by Honda, and the platform will be engineered to support Hondas driving character.

Production of these Honda electric vehicles will combine the development expertise of both companies, and they will be manufactured at GM plants in North America. Sales are expected to begin in the 2024 model year in Hondas United States and Canadian markets.

GM and Honda have an ongoing relationship around electrification. This includes work on fuel cells and the Cruise Origin, an electric, self-driving and shared vehicle, which was revealed in San Francisco earlier this year. Honda also joined GMs battery module development efforts in 2018.

This collaboration will put together the strength of both companies, while combined scale and manufacturing efficiencies will ultimately provide greater value to customers, said Rick Schostek, executive vice president of American Honda Motor Co., Inc. This expanded partnership will unlock economies of scale to accelerate our electrification roadmap and advance our industry-leading efforts to reduce greenhouse gas emissions.

We are in discussions with one another regarding the possibility of further extending our partnership, Schostek said.

According to Doug Parks, GM executive vice president of Global Product Development, Purchasing and Supply Chain, This agreement builds on our proven relationship with Honda, and further validates the technical advancements and capabilities of our Ultium batteries and our all-new EV platform.

Importantly, it is another step on our journey to an all-electric future and delivering a profitable EV business through increased scale and capacity utilization. We have a terrific history of working closely with Honda, and this new collaboration builds on our relationship and like-minded objectives.

As part of the agreement to jointly develop electric vehicles, Honda will incorporate GMs OnStar safety and security services into the two EVs, seamlessly integrating them with HondaLink. Additionally, Honda plans to make GMs hands-free advanced driver-assist technology available.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

Cobaltss_King (04-02-2020),DequindreToo (04-03-2020),eastcoasthd (04-03-2020),eklauss (04-07-2020),jzchev28 (04-02-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: GM & Honda to Jointly Develop Next-Gen Honda EVs Powered by GMs Ultium Batteries

This is how GM gets around not having tax credits to use at the lower end of the market.
    I expect most GM EVs to be expensive and very powerful.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,677 Times in 3,711 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: GM & Honda to Jointly Develop Next-Gen Honda EVs Powered by GMs Ultium Batteries

Honda will get swallowed up by GM , they are becoming more and more dependent on GM technology. Meanwhile, perhaps Buick and Chevrolet can get Small cars from Honda, with GM power trains and design of course. Plus tuning.. Honda has the most noisy interiors of any manufacturer

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (04-03-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,078 Times in 566 Posts
    My Ride
    '19 Honda Accord Sport

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Honda will get swallowed up by GM , they are becoming more and more dependent on GM technology. Meanwhile, perhaps Buick and Chevrolet can get Small cars from Honda, with GM power trains and design of course. Plus tuning.. Honda has the most noisy interiors of any manufacturer
    Lol no.
    2019 Honda Accord Sport

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryannel2003 For This Useful Post:

DequindreToo (04-03-2020),gkr778 (04-03-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,677 Times in 3,711 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by ryannel2003 View Post
    Lol no.
    They say 'Jointly, its 100% GM technology, even Honda's Hydrogen fuel cell is GM's technology 100%.

Honda simply does not have the resources to do research and technology development on the scale of GM, and they are quickly becoming dependent on GM.

If you also notice, GM will not partner with any other automaker but Honda on any of its advanced stuff.

Honda's strategy is to ride out GM's investment till the technology becomes more readily available, GM perhaps on the surface its to spread the cost of developing the technology, but who knows their real intentions?

Additionally, Honda is now effectively an American company, most of their engineering including the NSX are developed here by American Engineers.

So, you most likely will see American thinking take over Honda in the next decade...
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 04-02-2020 at 08:34 PM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Well I guess this is one way to get your promises to market. Partner up.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

GM, Honda partner to develop two new all-electric vehicles

GM, Honda partner to develop two new all-electric vehicles
    cnbc.com

April 2, 2020
    Michael Wayland

Key Points
    - GM and Honda have agreed to jointly develop two new all-electric vehicles for the Japanese automaker.
    - The 2024 model-year vehicles will use GM’s proprietary battery technology, but have Honda-exclusive exterior and interior designs.
    - Neither company disclosed financials of the deal.

General Motors and Honda Motor have agreed to jointly develop two new all-electric vehicles for the Japanese automaker, the companies announced Thursday.

The vehicles are scheduled to be released for the 2024 model-year, the companies said. They will feature GM’s proprietary “Ultium” battery technology, but their designs will be exclusive to Honda and the vehicle platform “will be engineered to support Honda’s driving character.”

Honda will also offer GM’s hands-free advanced driver-assist technology, known as Super Cruise, and the Detroit automaker’s OnStar safety and security services in the two all-electric vehicles.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    Last edited by nadepalma; 04-03-2020 at 01:35 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (04-07-2020),rand49er (04-03-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Re: GM, Honda partner to develop two new all-electric vehicles

Pretty interesting!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 566 Posts

GM has put a lot of R&D money into Super Cruise and the Ultium batteries. I hope they're getting some return on that.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rand49er For This Useful Post:

Al465 (04-03-2020),eklauss (04-07-2020),mbukukanyau (04-03-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 566 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    ... Honda has the most noisy interiors of any manufacturer
    A fact it seems Consumer Reports completely ignores.
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to rand49er For This Useful Post:

eklauss (04-07-2020)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

Somehow, I always think GM is selling themselves down the drain. I really don't think that's the right move.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    Somehow, I always think GM is selling themselves down the drain. I really don't think that's the right move.
    The alternative is that Honda develops their own or buys from another manufacturer. This gives GM control of the market and develops profit they'd not have otherwise.

Plus, don't forget that Honda has been a major investor per the article, so it makes sense what Honda is doing.

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-04-2020),dannyg (04-03-2020),DequindreToo (04-03-2020),eklauss (04-07-2020),gkr778 (04-03-2020),JimmyDiablo (04-03-2020),kmacleod (04-04-2020),mbukukanyau (04-03-2020),richmond2000 (04-03-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Al465 View Post
    I understand your concerns but I think it's a great idea. GM makes some money and if something goes wrong it's got a Honda badge on it.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-04-2020),eklauss (04-07-2020),Neanderthal (04-03-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,490 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Plus, don't forget that Honda has been a major investor per the article, so it makes sense what Honda is doing.
    +1
    GM and Honda have a long history of collaboration that goes back over 25 years.

Who knows, now that GM has abandoned Voltec, they can make use of Honda's hybrid and plug-in hybrid powertrains as needed for future products.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

25. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (04-03-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar gkr778's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,923 Times in 1,490 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    A fact it seems Consumer Reports completely ignores.
    It's not a fact.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

27. The Following User Says Thank You to gkr778 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (04-03-2020)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information