GM Future May Not Include Many Cars: AN Future Product Report

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GM Future May Not Include Many Cars: AN Future Product Report

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

GM Future May Not Include Many Cars: AN Future Product Report

Automotive News
    July 29, 2019

FUTURE PRODUCT: GM
    General Motors believes in making as much profit as it can from the internal combustion vehicles selling in much larger volumes today to subsidize its future zero-emission efforts.

Chevrolet Blazer
    Freshen in 2021
    The resurrected SUV-turned-crossover received praise from critics, but the fact that it's made in Mexico has turned it into a political football for the UAW and public officials to use against GM.

Chevrolet Equinox
    Freshened in 2020
    The popular compact crossover, which was redesigned for the 2018 model year, is expected to get freshened in late 2020, which is sooner than previously expected.

Chevrolet Trailblazer
    New in 2020
    The compact crossover is expected to arrive in dealerships early next year as a 2021 model. The South Korea-produced vehicle shares a new platform with the upcoming Buick Encore GX.

Chevrolet Bolt EV
    Freshen in 2020
    GM's first all-electric vehicle for the mass market is expected to get its first freshening in early 2020. The magnitude of those changes remains unclear.

Chevrolet Camaro
    End in 2023
    A poorly received freshening of the car for the 2019 model year may have accelerated the car's sales decline to fewer than 51,000 in 2018.

Chevrolet Malibu
    Freshen in 2022
    The car is expected to continue until at least 2024, when it will cease production. A freshening is possible around 2022 to help it through the final few years.

Chevrolet Sonic
    End in 2020
    Reports of the car's demise as soon as last year never came to fruition, but production is finally expected to end in late 2020.

Chevrolet Spark
    End in 2021
    Production of the Spark is expected to end in 2021, though Chevy could grant the nameplate a reprieve or transfer the name onto an all-electric vehicle.

Cadillac XT5
    Freshen in 2019
    A freshening for the midsize crossover arriving at dealerships in August, 2019, includes the addition of a Sport model and a 2.0-liter turbo engine for the Luxury and Premium Luxury trims.

Cadillac XT6
    New in 2019
    The three-row crossover began arriving in showrooms in June. It is expected to assist dealers in filling the large gap between the XT5 and Escalade.

Cadillac CT5
    New in 2019
    The compact sedan will begin arriving in dealerships in the fall of 2019, followed by V-series variants. A 2.0-liter twin-scroll turbo engine is standard. Cadillac's 3.0-liter twin-turbo V-6 — rated at 355 hp and 400 pound-feet of torque — is available on Premium Luxury and Sport models and standard on the entry-level V-series model.

Cadillac CT4
    New in 2020
    The subcompact sedan is expected to arrive in dealerships at the end of 2019 or early 2020, followed by two V-series performance variants.

Buick EV
    New in 2022
    The name Enspire could be used for an all-electric vehicle for the U.S., as early as 2022 or 2023, but the vehicle likely would appear first in China. Buick debuted a well-received Enspire concept at last year’s Beijing auto show that featured a 370-mile range and 0-to-60-mph performance of four seconds.

Buick Encore
    Redesign/Replace in 2023?
    The current-generation subcompact crossover is expected to be sold alongside the larger Encore GX for the foreseeable future. The U.S. will not receive the redesigned version that was unveiled for China and other global markets this year but will need either a new generation of the vehicle or a replacement around 2022.

Cadillac midsize electric crossover
    Possible in 2022
    A global all-electric crossover, expected to be the first vehicle on GM’s next-generation BEV3 platform for the U.S., is expected to take heavy design cues from a rendering that was shown by Cadillac for the 2019 Detroit auto show. It could launch in China before coming stateside in 2022 and begin a rapid cadence of EVs for the brand.

Cadillac electric crossovers
    New in 2022
    Compact and large electric crossovers are expected to flank the midsize crossover EV, beginning with a compact model as early as 2022.

Cadillac XT4
    The long-awaited luxury compact crossover arrived last summer and has led the segment in sales for much of that time. The XT4 also has quickly risen to be among Cadillac's top-selling nameplates, trailing only the XT5 and Escalade through the first six months of the year.

Cadillac Escalade
    Redesign in 2020
    Cadillac’s best-known nameplate will receive a redesign in 2020 and move to GM’s T1 platform, which debuted on the 2019 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra. The redesigned full-size SUV is expected to be completely new inside and out. Spied test mules have shown less vertical lighting, more in line with Cadillac’s current crossovers, including a new mesh grille.

GMC Canyon
    Freshen in 2020
    General Motors' midsize pickups are expected to receive minor updates in 2020 amid increased competition from the Jeep Gladiator and Ford Ranger, but a redesign of the vehicles isn't expected until at least 2022.

GMC subcompact crossover
    New in 2022
    While it’s a logical place for the brand to expand, plans for such a crossover, dubbed the GMC Granite by some, remain unclear. Brand head Duncan Aldred has said he believes a subcompact crossover would fit well in the lineup, but it may take a back seat to a more rugged Jeep fighter based on the next generation of GM’s midsize pickups. If it gets a green light, expect it in 2022 or 2023.

Chevrolet Suburban
    Redesign in 2020
    GM's full-size SUVs will be redesigned in 2020 as the company works to counter a well-received redesign of the Ford Expedition and the upcoming resurrection of the Ford Bronco SUV.

Chevrolet Tahoe
    Redesign in 2020
    GM's full-size SUVs will be redesigned in 2020 as the company works to counter a well-received redesign of the Ford Expedition and the upcoming resurrection of the Ford Bronco SUV.

GMC Yukon XL
    Redesign in 2020

Chevrolet Silverado
    Addition in 2019
    Versions of the pickups with a new 3.0-liter, inline-six turbo Duramax diesel engine are expected to arrive in dealerships in 2019 for the 2020 model year. A freshening of the pickups — particularly concentrated on the interior — could come as early as 2020.

Article continues at link.

Note: 2020 Chevy Sonic will not offer a manual transmission on any equipment level.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,818 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: GM Future May Not Include Many Cars: AN Future Product Report

Chevrolet Silverado
    A freshening of the pickups — particularly concentrated on the interior — could come as early as 2020.

And in other news, the earth continued to rotate...

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (07-29-2019),Neanderthal (07-29-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (07-29-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Never understood why GM chooses to resurrect then kill the brands or let them go into dismay. Kill the Camaro, kill the Malibu. When it doesn't work, it's "economic downturn". The Cruze is all but gone. FYI, the Camry is with us since 1982 and doing pretty well. The Accord from 1976. How in the world it works for them?

GM never learns:
    "Chevrolet Trailblazer
    New in 2020
    The compact crossover is expected to arrive in dealerships early next year as a 2021 model. The South Korea-produced vehicle shares a new platform with the upcoming Buick Encore GX." GTFO with that garbage. What a load of crook. Man, I swear, GM does everything possible to make me loath it a bit more every day.
    I bet that 3.0 diesel is one sweet engine, but it will be priced so high, it will sell under 5%.
    We will all join the electric revolution into a big worldwide circle jerk, pretending we care to save the planet. Like George Carlin said: "the planet is fine, the people are f#cked".
    Last edited by canadian.bacon; 07-29-2019 at 10:05 AM.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

Ambalanche (07-29-2019),Citation84 (08-01-2019),ClassyEldo (08-01-2019),Neanderthal (07-29-2019),orville (07-29-2019),steve333 (07-29-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 658 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

GM will continue to bleed market share with no cars.

My daughter is not looking at GM with no Cruze anymore. My next vehicle is likely a sedan, will GM have anything for me to buy?

If they kill Camaro again might work out for me though as I want a used one for a summer car.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

dannyg (07-29-2019),Neanderthal (07-29-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,979 Times in 1,939 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    Never understood why GM chooses to resurrect then kill the brands or let them go into dismay. Kill the Camaro, kill the Malibu. When it doesn't work, it's "economic downturn". The Cruze is all but gone. FYI, the Camry is with us since 1982 and doing pretty well. The Accord from 1976. How in the world it works for them?

GM never learns:
    "Chevrolet Trailblazer
    New in 2020
    The compact crossover is expected to arrive in dealerships early next year as a 2021 model. The South Korea-produced vehicle shares a new platform with the upcoming Buick Encore GX." GTFO with that garbage. What a load of crook. Man, I swear, GM does everything possible to make the loath it a bit more every day.
    I bet that 3.0 diesel is one sweet engine, but it will be priced so high, it will sell under 5%.
    We will all join the electric revolution into a big worldwide circle jerk, pretending we care to save the planet. Like George Carlin said: "the planet is fine, the people are f#cked".
    A lot of truth here. I might add the big problem at GM is these dyed in the wool suits and lifers there that just don't get it or have a very poor vision of what the public wants and needs vs. their skewed vision of where they think they misguidedly need to go. I think a thorough house cleaning needs to take place. Something else, in this Trump instigated new era of renewed patriotism all this foreign produced product from an American stalwart does not go over too well and that also bites them in the behind.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (08-01-2019),ClassyEldo (08-01-2019),Neanderthal (07-29-2019),neshapop (07-29-2019)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    GM will continue to bleed market share with no cars.

My daughter is not looking at GM with no Cruze anymore. My next vehicle is likely a sedan, will GM have anything for me to buy?

If they kill Camaro again might work out for me though as I want a used one for a summer car.
    I agree, lots of Cruze owners with leases and when they return them there will be nothing to offer them. Dealers can only try to put those customers in a dorky Trax or Encore which are 2 vehicles that are simply outclassed by all the new competition in that segment. Also can't believe those 2 vehicles are still using the older 138 hp engine. I don't see one product in their line up that would interest a young, first time buyer. The lease on my wife's Cruze ends this Friday and I've been all over the net and to 5-6 dealers trying to find something that interests her that we can afford.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Cruising in a Cruze For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (07-30-2019)

2.5L Iron Duke
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    A lot of truth here. I might add the big problem at GM is these dyed in the wool suits and lifers there that just don't get it or have a very poor vision of what the public wants and needs vs. their skewed vision of where they think they misguidedly need to go. I think a thorough house cleaning needs to take place. Something else, in this Trump instigated new era of renewed patriotism all this foreign produced product from an American stalwart does not go over too well and that also bites them in the behind.
    People used to say that in the 80's, 90's and 2000's about all the GM lifers, but seriously how many lifers can be left? They must have plenty of young people working there now. I was at the GM Renaissance Center last week and I didn't see many old, grey haired men in suits. Lol

And yep you are right about all the foreign built product.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,224 Times in 658 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising in a Cruze View Post
    I agree, lots of Cruze owners with leases and when they return them there will be nothing to offer them. Dealers can only try to put those customers in a dorky Trax or Encore which are 2 vehicles that are simply outclassed by all the new competition in that segment. Also can't believe those 2 vehicles are still using the older 138 hp engine. I don't see one product in their line up that would interest a young, first time buyer. The lease on my wife's Cruze ends this Friday and I've been all over the net and to 5-6 dealers trying to find something that interests her that we can afford.
    Local dealer is trying to get any and all car buyers into base Malibus but they are only offering financing deals (0% for 84 months) or $4000 cash. With cash back it's almost what a Cruze used to be. No lease deals at all (I can imagine the resale on Malibus is highly questionable).

Problem is my daughter doesn't want that big a car.

They also have cash on the hood to get Trax down to a Cruze price but it's not a great vehicle as you mentioned.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

Citation84 (08-01-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

All this Cruze talk will probably boost the new hatchback Corolla and Hyundai/Kia sales. The Civic is atrociously designed. Nissan's offerings are simply horrible. GM, Ford, FCA have zero on the table.
    And this is how you give so much market share and profits to the competition with zero effort on their side.
    I am no businessman, but boy, this strategy is bad even in my eyes.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (07-30-2019),Citation84 (08-01-2019),ClassyEldo (08-01-2019),steve333 (07-29-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 CaptainDan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,338 Times in 709 Posts

......We will all join the electric revolution into a big worldwide circle jerk, pretending we care to save the planet. Like George Carlin said: "the planet is fine, the people are f#cked".
    I'm looking forward to seeing more EV choices. It's not for any "saving the planet" stuff, I want the performance boost. Especially since GM apparently has dropped the affordable performance market.

If that helps out with some "green" issues, OK, but that's not my primary concern.
    '16 Chevy SS
    a 4 door Camaro

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,574 Times in 4,095 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post

And in other news, the earth continued to rotate...
    A “city-killer” asteroid whizzed by Earth on Thursday, startling astronomers who didn’t pick up the rock’s trajectory until days before it passed the planet, according to a report.

The rock, dubbed Asteroid 2019 OK, passed within 43,500 miles of Earth traveling at a speed of 15 miles a second, the Sydney Morning Herald first reported.

The asteroid, which was estimated to be between 187 feet and 427 feet in diameter, was discovered this week by two astronomy teams in Brazil and the US — and confirmed by NASA’s Jet Propulsion Lab.

It’s the largest rock to pass by Earth this year — and possibly even this decade.

“This is one of the closest approaches to Earth by an asteroid that we know of. And it’s a pretty large one,” Michael Brown, an associate professor at Monash University’s school of physics and astronomy told the paper.

“It’s impressively close. I don’t think it’s quite sunk in yet. It’s a pretty big deal.”

https://nypost.com/2019/07/26/surpri...iles-a-second/

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    When DeLorean got promoted out of vehicle development and into sitting in meetings with stiffs all day, he quit after six months even though he was making 600 grand a year, decent cash in those days.
    "He'd sit in meetings combing his hair and calling us a bunch of stiffs and bureaucrats. We couldn't stand him." That's not an exact quote but it's a summary of where creative genius vs. lifer bureaucrat stiffs view each other and see the world. One side is bursting with ideas--GTO--the other loves to have meetings and go play golf. Those of us who've been around long enough know these people well, life is good, there are no consequences for effing up something, why change, what me worry?

GM never learns:
    "Chevrolet Trailblazer
    New in 2020
    The compact crossover is expected to arrive in dealerships early next year as a 2021 model. The South Korea-produced vehicle shares a new platform with the upcoming Buick Encore GX." GTFO with that garbage. What a load of crook. Man, I swear, GM does everything possible to make the loath it a bit more every day.
    No consequences for failure, big risk for innovation. Not to say GM can't or doesn't innovate. Volt is a good example, but it's an even better example--business school class example--on how to NOT capitalize on success. So much they could have done with Volt, starting with a ute version and bigger inside space in general.
    Working with or under these stiffs is supremely frustrating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruising in a Cruze View Post
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/2019...fety-features/

https://www.motortrend.com/cars/hyundai/elantra/2019/

The Value Edition Elantra is a yooj bargain IMO. It's loaded and doesn't cost much. Also the ECO* is cool despite its name.
    * Apparently ECO has been dropped for MY2020.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 07-29-2019 at 10:27 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-29-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one)
    Thanks

With GM cutting all these models, will there be support for them as used cars? Or will parts be hard to find and expensive?
    GM appears to be pushing ahead on an all-electric future, a future that is not assured as coming soon or as being profitable for GM.
    Next thing we'll hear that GM is dropping electric cars because they don't sell well enough!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Anthony Evans's Avatar
    Thanks

It is official GM is pivoting time avocado toast, it is all what Millenials and Gen Zedongs buy
    "Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." —Karl Marx

Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

If this list is correct, the only sub-$20K vehicle GM will have in a year or two will be the Trax. (Possibly the Spark.) Completely nuts IMO, Chevy needs cheaper vehicles to get young people to the brand. And plenty of people like me will not buy a crossover.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride: Maybe a 2020 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-29-2019),Anthony Evans (07-29-2019),Citation84 (08-01-2019),ClassyEldo (08-01-2019),Evo69 (07-30-2019),ksr (07-29-2019)

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

With GM exiting the sedan market now as well, this will give Hyundai and Kia a bigger chance to take over those segments. They look better than Hondas, have better quality of materials inside than Toyotas and feel like a solid car. I'm on my second Hyundai now (which I never thought would happen, I was ride or die GM for a long time). If they want to retain customers, give them more cost effective options, price a well equipped entry Equinox in the same realm as what the Cruze was and the Blazer in the Malibu territory.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to PastorChevyGuy For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-29-2019)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information