GM "Fundamentally" in Favor of Expanding US Diesel Line-Up - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GM "Fundamentally" in Favor of Expanding US Diesel Line-Up

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ChevroletGuy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: GM "Fundamentally" in Favor of Expanding US Diesel Line-Up

So this could mean the baby Duramax is back, which is good. Stick it in every fullsize truck and SUV, including the Caddy.
    Taking Back America, One Chevy at a Time

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie8_3 View Post
    You hit the nail on the head about the diesel prices. I bought my Dmax to replace a 6.0L gasser that was a steady 8mpg truck, now i average 13mpg but the cost of diesel eats all the savings and then some. All this EPA stuff on the new diesels dont help the bottom dollar for us the consumer either. Im glad i got my LBZ before all the emission stuff got out of hand on diesels.

Would be nice to see the 4.5 baby duramax in the new 1500s but please tune them for max mpg and not max power, as the 6.6 seems to be in a power war with ford and ram lately.
    I think you're saving more than you realize. If you're now getting 13mpg, that's a 61% improvement in mpg over 8 mpg, a pretty impressive improvement. From a dollar perspective, diesel is roughly $4.00 (Illinois). Regular unleaded is roughly $3.50, a difference of 13%.
    If you drive 15k miles a year, you were spending $6562 on regular. You would now spend $4,615 on diesel. Seems like your diesel was a good decision.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tec80 View Post
    bowtie, you pay $5.25 per gallon for Diesel?
    BP right down the street is 3.49 regular, 4.29 diesel
    so many GM vehicles in my household my driveway looks like a used car lot

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Banned
    Thanks

It was GM who single handedly ruined diesel's reputation in passenger cars in America 30 years ago, so I can understand why they've been gun shy about making a diesel available in a passenger car again.

But we all know modern diesel 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder engines are a far cry from the Olds 350 diesel. Not even close. So GM should get over their tepidness about them and start making them.

Can you imagine the performance and economy of a Cruze with the 1.8d and a 6 speed manual?

News Contributor Premium Member V8GMT360 Guy's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    08 Sierra A/T, 09 Envoy Denali

Quote Originally Posted by bmwboy2007 View Post
    There was a time when diesel fuel was cheaper than refined gasoline; not sure what happened there.
    I remember those days too.

Now, if only I had room for a biodesel still... I'd just collect used fry cooker oil and make my own cheap fuel.
    Proud owner of two elegant/classy GMCs:

2008 GMC Sierra "All Terrain" Crew Cab 5.3L/FFV - Stealth Gray Metallic/Ebony
    2009 GMC Envoy Denali 5.3L - Switchblade Silver/Ebony

Future owner of... good question.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar MechEng's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Volt + 2018 Bolt EV

Quote Originally Posted by bowtie8_3 View Post
    BP right down the street is 3.49 regular, 4.29 diesel
    Based on your quoted numbers and these prices the Diesel still saves you a fair bit of coin.

My math based on 15k miles per year
    Gas 8mpg 15000/8 = 1875 gallons * 3.49/gallon = $6544 / year
    Diesel 13mpg 15000/13 = 1154 gallons * 4.29/gallon = $4950 / year
    Last edited by MechEng; 12-15-2012 at 09:22 AM.
    See my cars stats below Hidden Content
    2018 Volt - Hidden Content
    2018 Bolt EV - Hidden Content

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,743 Times in 1,024 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Diesel is $4.99 at the station down the street from my office.

Can't believe the Cruze diesel is still one year away.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Diesel is $4.99 at the station down the street from my office.

Can't believe the Cruze diesel is still one year away.
    No its not first quarter of 2013 it will be here.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post
    Based on your quoted numbers and these prices the Diesel still saves you a fair bit of coin.

I'd argue the mileage assumptions you have are above that for the average HD owner, but since the duramax costs $7,100 more than the gas version, you are talking a 4 to 5 year payback. With 12,000 miles a year, its more like 5-6 years. I don't see the logic beyond a very small slice of the population that actually tows a lot and puts on a lot of miles.

Oops, I checked the Chevrolet web site and the duramax is $7,200 more and required the $1,200 allison transmission, so the payback is even worse. 5.5 years for your mileage assumptions and 6.5 years for mine. Ouch!
    Last edited by usa1; 12-15-2012 at 09:43 AM.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 chakis24's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    I'd argue the mileage assumptions you have are above that for the average HD owner, but since the duramax costs $7,100 more than the gas version, you are talking a 4 to 5 year payback. With 12,000 miles a year, its more like 5-6 years. I don't see the logic beyond a very small slice of the population that actually tows a lot and puts on a lot of miles.

Oops, I checked the Chevrolet web site and the duramax is $7,200 more and required the $1,200 allison transmission, so the payback is even worse. 5.5 years for your mileage assumptions and 6.5 years for mine. Ouch!
    you may pay more up front, but youre also likely to get more when its time to sell. diesels tend to hold their value better. also, most truck owners own their trucks that long anyway. you wont find nearly as many 3-4 year leases on trucks as you do with cars. gm stated in their press releases for the 2014 silverado that the average age of a pickup truck is something near 10 years. and someone spending for diesel is even more likely to keep their trucks for awhile.
    Last edited by chakis24; 12-15-2012 at 10:13 AM.
    My Ride: 2005 Chevy Silverado Z71
    3" P.A. Body lift, 305/70/17 Nitto Terra Grapplers, 17x9 Pro Comp Wheels, Halo Projector headlights w/ HID hi's, PIAA P4000 Quattro fogs, Hyper White LED DRL's, Putco Locker Black Bed Rails, Pace Edwards: Jack Rabbit tonneau, Fire & Ice LED light bar, "Patriot" window decal, Flowmaster muffler, iPOD jack,

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 lio45's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevy truck

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post

It's not as bad as you make it sound... don't forget that in your scenario, after ~6 years, both choices aren't equal at all -- you've spent exactly the same amount of money on either truck at that point in both cases, but in one case it's irretrievably gone (burned in gas) while in the other case a significant part of the same amount of money "gone" is actually still yours in the form of owning a higher-value Duramax/Allison pickup...

After, say, only 3 years, you obviously still haven't completely paid back your diesel from the savings only, but you can still be financially better off at that point, depending on how big exactly the difference in resale value is for your truck diesel vs gas.

When you reach the 6-year payback point, you've been DEFINITELY better off financially for a while already with the diesel choice...

The two scenarios are equivalent after 6 years only if you assume that both trucks vanish without a trace after 6 years... then yes, in that case, picking gas or diesel is the same from your wallet's POV.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,417 Times in 820 Posts

Re: GM “Fundamentally” in Favor of Expanding US Diesel Line-Up

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Better late than never. GM, lead the way. Well, after VW anyway.
    Maybe GM as well as Chrysler-Fiat could step in this opportunity who might hit VW like a sudden acceleration. http://jalopnik.com/5968228/are-fuel...diesel-engines

Thanks
    My Ride
    Buick !

Re: GM “Fundamentally” in Favor of Expanding US Diesel Line-Up

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Better late than never. GM, lead the way. Well, after VW anyway.
    I wouldnt say VW led they way here in America ... they just bring over what they already have in Europe ... Europe is way different than America
    Check Out Hundreds Of Diecast Car Models And Other Cool Collectibles At My Ebay Store

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Good to hear.

Whoever can bring the right kind of lite fullsize Pick Up diesel in first, is going to glad they did.

And no, the Ram 1500 3.0L VM + the Torqueflite Eight / 8HP ain't what I'm talking about.

Not knockin' it - expect it will do well - may end up with one anyway - but no, that's likely to be a successful smallest size type thing.

Unless they somehow eventually breath on it real hard in a way no has been able to do for the US market on a per liter basis etc etc to date.

You always have to add displacement for the diesel fuel and emissions stupidity here compared to Europe.

There's a spot in the middle displacement wise - that's the one you really want for this kind of application.

Basically somewhere between ..... 3.2 / 3.5 on the low end and then eh.... 4.4 / 4.7 tops on a oversized big end.

Most likely, somewhere in the 3.5 - 4.0 range.

5, or 6 or even perhaps....... an 8 cylinder........

Somewhat paradoxically, you could go smaller ..... or even bigger ..... with the right kind of tech break thru.

So for GM and while attempting to use some good 'ole diesel modularity...... and stick it to the Euros all around the globe.......

A 2.8 I4 + a 3.5 I5 + a 4.2 ?6 and a 5.4 V8 ......... or thereabouts for each - yep, some .... or all of that work ...... if you push.
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 12-15-2012 at 12:13 PM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Cobaltss_King's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MechEng View Post

This is going to be the hard part for buyers in the US to understand. I even didn't realize how much i would be saving. Even though i'm on a short term lease. The biggest plus VW recently did was not add the diesel as a premium. Atleast not on the cars i should say. If we could see the Malibu, Impala and Nox/Terrain added to the list along with the light duty trucks GM could see a real interest develop rather quickly i think.
    "More powerful, quicker and outright faster than a comparable BMW, Cadillac’s newest model is the best reason to skip the letter M and head all the way down the alphabet to V."
    Current Rides: 12’ Infiniti M37S
    17’ Cadillac CT6 3.6
    16’ Cadillac ELR

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information