GM and EVgo to Accelerate Widespread EV Adoption by Adding Fast Chargers Nationwide

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM and EVgo to Accelerate Widespread EV Adoption by Adding Fast Chargers Nationwide

Thanks
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 469 Posts
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

GM and EVgo to Accelerate Widespread EV Adoption by Adding Fast Chargers Nationwide

General Motors and EVgo to Accelerate Widespread EV Adoption by Adding Fast Chargers Nationwide
    General Motors
    July 31, 2020

More than 2,700 new EV charging plugs will triple the size of the nation’s largest public fast charging network

DETROIT and LOS ANGELES – General Motors and EVgo plan to triple the size of the nation’s largest public fast charging network by adding more than 2,700 new fast chargers over the next five years, a move set to help accelerate widespread electric vehicle adoption.

The two companies will add fast charging stations to cities and suburbs, unlocking new EV customer segments and providing increased charging access to drivers who live in multi-unit homes, rent their homes and can’t install chargers, or might not have access to workplace charging.

“We are moving quickly to bring new EVs to market that customers will love,” said Mary Barra, GM Chairman and CEO. “We know how important the charging ecosystem is for drivers, one that includes access to convenient and reliable public fast charging. Our relationship with EVgo will bolster the public fast charging network available to EV customers ahead of increased market demand and reinforce our commitment to an all-electric, zero-emissions future.”

Customers will have access to some of the fastest charging capabilities at the places they regularly frequent, like grocery stores, retail outlets, entertainment centers and other high-traffic locations. With fast charging available where people typically spend 15-30 minutes1, customers can charge their vehicles in the time it takes to run their errands. This approach builds on the success of EVgo’s existing portfolio of more than 800 station locations across the United States, the most of any U.S. public fast charging network.

The new EVgo fast charging stations will be available to customers starting early 2021. Stations will be located in highly visible areas and most will be able to charge at least four vehicles simultaneously. Additionally, stations will feature new charging technology with 100-350-kilowatt capabilities to meet the needs of an increasingly powerful set of EVs coming to market.

In their continued commitment to reaching a zero-emissions future, the new EVgo fast chargers will be powered by 100 percent renewable energy. Both GM and EVgo have made significant investments and commitments to running on renewable energy. Earlier this year, General Motors committed to all U.S. plants running on renewable energy by 2030 and all global plants running on renewable energy by 2040. In 2019, EVgo became the first North American charging company to contract for 100 percent renewable energy to power its chargers.

General Motors and EVgo designed this new endeavor to leverage private investment alongside government grant and utility programs, as building out the necessary charging infrastructure ahead of market demands will require continued public-private partnership.

Both companies will continue working with key stakeholders to leverage new and existing public-private programs to facilitate the acceleration of the EV charging infrastructure needed to support ubiquitous EV adoption.

This EV charging announcement continues GM’s commitment to an all-electric future.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (08-03-2020),BlackGTP (08-01-2020),Cobaltss_King (07-31-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: GM and EVgo to Accelerate Widespread EV Adoption by Adding Fast Chargers Nationwi

2700, Detroit and Los Angeles? What about the rest of the country? Or is that their primary focus and a smattering of them around the rest of the country? And... in a country the size of America and as rural as a lot of it still is. I'm tending to look at this as self promotional hype and lip service to the drive by's. It's a start yes, but still. We have a long way to go before.......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (08-03-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: GM and EVgo to Accelerate Widespread EV Adoption by Adding Fast Chargers Nationwi

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    2700, Detroit and Los Angeles? What about the rest of the country? Or is that their primary focus and a smattering of them around the rest of the country? And... in a country the size of America and as rural as a lot of it still is. I'm tending to look at this as self promotional hype and lip service to the drive by's. It's a start yes, but still. We have a long way to go before.......
    Not sure if serious....

GM begins all of their press releases with the location of the source of the press release. GM in Detroit and EVGo is in LA.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

wallus13 (08-01-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Not even sure why they used this as one of their photos. No one holds the charge cable. It looks like they're pumping gas.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-31-2020),bballr4567 (08-03-2020),gkr778 (08-01-2020),richmond2000 (08-01-2020),TruckMan (07-31-2020)

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,048 Times in 2,611 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post
    Not sure if serious....

GM begins all of their press releases with the location of the source of the press release. GM in Detroit and EVGo is in LA.
    And there is a lot of America in between. Where are these things going to be primarily, in those two locations? Who gives a where each entity is headquartered. 2700 is a start but like I said to begin with.... These things need to be like gas stations today before I'm impressed with a purely electric car.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,124 Times in 3,940 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Not even sure why they used this as one of their photos. No one holds the charge cable. It looks like they're pumping gas.

It’s Millennials

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-31-2020),Neanderthal (08-01-2020),Rumpole (08-01-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    And there is a lot of America in between. Where are these things going to be primarily, in those two locations? Who gives a where each entity is headquartered. 2700 is a start but like I said to begin with.... These things need to be like gas stations today before I'm impressed with a purely electric car.
    Those two locations are where the companies are headquartered. That has nothing to do with the body of the press release. They are adding the chargers nationwide to high traffic locations.

Customers will have access to some of the fastest charging capabilities at the places they regularly frequent, like grocery stores, retail outlets, entertainment centers and other high-traffic locations. With fast charging available where people typically spend 15-30 minutes, customers can charge their vehicles in the time it takes to run their errands.
    If you're going to wait 15-30 minutes for a 80% or higher charge why would you want to charge at a gas station with nothing to do? Might as well put it in locations where you can leave the car and eat or shop.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (08-01-2020),wallus13 (08-01-2020)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,755 Times in 1,405 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 Envoy/'20 Colorado

A few years ago I'd be hesitant to get an EV but fast charge stations are already becoming prolific around here. Even the little gas station at the corner has two EV charge stalls.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)
    2020 Chevrolet Colorado W/T Extended Cab (State-issued)

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-01-2020),richmond2000 (08-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,892 Times in 4,818 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

If you're going to wait 15-30 minutes for a 80% or higher charge why would you want to charge at a gas station with nothing to do? Might as well put it in locations where you can leave the car and eat or shop.
    I wonder if they might NOT do that (not have shopping) to discourage people from leaving their car at a charger for four hours while they shop, making that charger unusable to everyone else (and we know people will do that).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,025 Times in 579 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I wonder if they might NOT do that (not have shopping) to discourage people from leaving their car at a charger for four hours while they shop, making that charger unusable to everyone else (and we know people will do that).
    You just know people are going to leave their cars past a reasonable time thereby tying up the available charging slots. Some type of mechanism will have to be devised to prevent this in order to limit the number of shopper-on-shopper altercations. Then again, this could be a source of here-to-now untapped entertainment for other shoppers. (Of course, I'm j/k.)
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rand49er For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-01-2020),Neanderthal (08-01-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,892 Times in 4,818 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    You just know people are going to leave their cars past a reasonable time thereby tying up the available charging slots. Some type of mechanism will have to be devised to prevent this in order to limit the number of shopper-on-shopper altercations. Then again, this could be a source of here-to-now untapped entertainment for other shoppers. (Of course, I'm j/k.)
    Nothing wrong with enjoying a good parking spot/charging spot fight!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (08-01-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I see very few people holding the gas nozzle or hose, either. Maybe these people are getting a bit of a charge, or a tingle, or a thrill going up their legs, by connecting with The Motherlode of Electrical Fluid. Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    It’s Millennials
    BINGO. Watch your mailbox for a surprise gift!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,389 Times in 574 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Those charging are permitted a few minute "grace" period after their vehicle is fully charged, afterwards a penalty "parking" fee is implemented per minute to encourage them to move along.
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-01-2020),Ed753 (08-03-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,383 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    every EV charger I have seen you are charge for the time PLUGGED IN NOT time CHARGING / KWH taken so MOST people will try to make it back to there rides to remove / stop billing in a semi-timely manner

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (08-01-2020),Ed753 (08-03-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

The charging station should have a mobile base, the fabled AI can be in charge , when the charge is finished the bot can yank the plug and move the derelict vehicle to a parking lot where it's charged $5/hour.

Any more questions?
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 08-01-2020 at 09:35 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

29. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information