GM Displays New Corvette Outside NYSE

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: GM Displays New Corvette Outside NYSE

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

GM Displays New Corvette Outside NYSE

Walking by the New York Stock Exchange at lunch today:

Your journey should be safe, clean and efficient, which is why General Motors is advancing our vision of a world with zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion through the creation of electric, self-driving, connected vehicles and shared mobility services that will transform how we get around.

Over the last 100-plus years, General Motors has been at the forefront of the automotive revolution.

Today, we’re a leader in a new transformation, one that will create a safer and smarter world, and our ambitious plan of zero crashes, zero emissions and zero congestion drives every decision we make. Why? It’s the right move for our customers, our employees and future generations.

Our experience and perspective have prepared us to redefine the future. Everything we’ve learned over the decades helps shape our products and services, and safety is paramount as we combine our knowledge, size and scale with technological breakthroughs for a better world today and tomorrow.

"We’re taking the lessons we’ve learned in the past to help shape our future..."

Zero Crashes

We see a future where our loved ones come home safely every day. Vehicle crashes kill more than 1.35 million people worldwide each year, according to the World Health Organization, and injure countless more. We believe autonomous driving technology could significantly minimize and possibly even eliminate crashes caused by human error — the root of more than 90 percent of all crashes, according the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. This isn’t a far-fetched idea. Just like seat belts, air bags, on-board cameras and vehicle warning systems, that help protect occupants, reduce crash speeds and avoid crashes all together, autonomous is the next big step forward, and it could potentially save lives.

Cities such as New York or Shanghai, where pedestrians can move faster than vehicles due to impossible traffic, could be transformed by efficient and safe autonomous vehicles and ridesharing platforms. Vehicle sharing reduces the number of cars on the road, which can immediately reduce the risk of crashes due to exposure. And driverless technology may reduce the likelihood even more.

Zero Emissions

We’re committed to an all-electric future, and what’s possible today is just the beginning. The cost of developing, owning and operating electric vehicles is decreasing as battery technology advances. It’s a simple equation: More electric vehicles on the road means fewer emissions, and cleaner air for all.

A great example is the Chevrolet Bolt EV which gets an EPA-estimated 259* miles of range on a full charge.

Zero Congestion

An INRIX study revealed that Americans lost an average of 97 hours a year due to congestion. That’s an extensive amount of precious time, and a huge source of irritation and frustration. It also comes with a big price tag: Congestion cost U.S. drivers nearly $87 billion in 2018. That’s an average of $1,348 per driver, according to the study.

While other companies are talking about mobility solutions, we’re already growing our car-sharing and ridesharing platform. Our Maven personal mobility app provides hassle-free, on-demand GM vehicle access for an hour’s worth of errands or a month of travel. Members enjoy all the benefits of car ownership without the traditional hassles such as insurance or parking. Maven is collaborating with the city of Los Angeles on smart transportation options to enhance mobility, create jobs and ease parking and congestion.

Connected Technology

In 2017 Cadillac introduced Super Cruise1, the world’s first true hands-free driver assistance feature for compatible highways. Unlike other driver assistance systems, Super Cruise utilizes two advanced technology systems — a driver attention system and precision LiDAR map data — so drivers can enjoy the convenience of being hands-free while still remaining engaged with the road ahead. Super Cruise initially launched on the 2018 Cadillac CT6 and will soon be available in 2020 on the Cadillac CT4, CT4-V, CT5 and CT5-V. After 2020, Super Cruise will make its introduction in other General Motors brands.

Additionally, the 2020 Cadillac CT5 will be the first vehicle to adopt GM’s all-new digital vehicle platform. This new electrical architecture is necessary for GM’s next-generation of vehicles, EVs, active safety, infotainment and connectivity features, and the evolution of the Super Cruise driver assistance feature. The technology powers an electronic system, capable of managing up to 4.5 terabytes of data processing power per hour, a fivefold increase in capability over GM’s current electrical architecture. With an expanded capacity for smartphone-like over-the-air software updates, the system enables the adoption of functionality upgrades throughout the lifespan of the vehicle.

This transformation won’t happen overnight, but the pace of change is accelerating, and the sense of optimism and ambition within our halls is inspiring. As we take what we’ve learned from the past to help shape our future, we’re thinking big, making smart bets and staying focused on safety, quality and our customers.

The journey has already begun.
    Source: General Motors

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (02-05-2020),BlackGTP (02-05-2020),criticalmass (02-05-2020),dannyg (02-05-2020),smith7629 (02-05-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,186 Times in 1,150 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: GM Word Of The Day: ZERO

First time seeing the new Corvette in person. One word: AMAZING.

The Trailblazer looks great also...and I can see a new Suburban diesel replacing my BMW X5 diesel in a year or two.

Looks like GM is waking up to the fact that Tesla is going to (possibly) survive.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-05-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar sdotjeezy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,420 Times in 1,254 Posts

Only thing SC has over AP is the driver attentiveness detection...everything else, I tip to Tesla. If tesla can revamp how they detect if the driver is paying attention they'll be all set.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    First time seeing the new Corvette in person. One word: AMAZING.

The Trailblazer looks great also...and I can see a new Suburban diesel replacing my BMW X5 diesel in a year or two.

Looks like GM is waking up to the fact that Tesla is going to (possibly) survive.

I got a very close look at the new C8 at the Indy Auto Show back in January and completely agree. It was also a bit bigger than I expected...? Not sure why I expect it to be small given what it is, but there are some visual elements that don't translate well in a photo. Another example for me was the Viper. I always thought those were huge cars until I finally rolled up on one on the highway and was in shock at how much smaller it was vs my perception from online photos.

Very awesome car though. I saw the Trailblazer as well but wasn't overly impressed. I think it would be a great replacement for the Trax - not sure why they are selling both...
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Z Fury View Post
    I got a very close look at the new C8 at the Indy Auto Show back in January and completely agree. It was also a bit bigger than I expected...? Not sure why I expect it to be small given what it is, but there are some visual elements that don't translate well in a photo. Another example for me was the Viper. I always thought those were huge cars until I finally rolled up on one on the highway and was in shock at how much smaller it was vs my perception from online photos.

Very awesome car though. I saw the Trailblazer as well but wasn't overly impressed. I think it would be a great replacement for the Trax - not sure why they are selling both...
    I think they are selling both because they are ditching little cars, and they think these are the replacements for them. I am waiting to see the new Vette and this Trailblazer in person but over all in the pictures they look pretty good to me.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 RamJet502's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Chevy Silverado

Re: GM Displays New Corvette Outside NYSE

Damn that Corvette looks good!

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2011 Sierra

Re: GM Displays New Corvette Outside NYSE

Awesome car though the rear looks a bit busy.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information