As GM Cuts Back Incentives; Inventory Rises; Japanese Numbers Down

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: As GM Cuts Back Incentives; Inventory Rises; Japanese Numbers Down

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,055 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

As GM Cuts Back Incentives; Inventory Rises; Japanese Numbers Down

Automotive News -- April 11, 2011 -

Lean inventories will begin to hamper U.S. auto sales this month, a situation that will worsen as global production slows as a result of Japan's earthquake and tsunami.

"Most likely lean small-car inventories will be a headwind on the industry's sales rate," Ford sales boss Ken Czubay said.

Automakers started the month with a 54-day supply of light vehicles, down from 60 days on March 1. And that was before deliveries to dealer lots start to dry up because of closed assembly plants in Japan and global production cuts caused by shortages of Japanese parts.

The first U.S. dealers to be affected will be Japanese-brand stores, as deliveries of vehicles assembled in Japan stop or are sharply curtailed this month.

Toyota is working to make sure U.S. dealers have high-demand vehicles such as the Prius, said Bob Carter, head of Toyota Division.

"While there may be spot shortages here or there, we are prioritizing distribution efforts to minimize those," Carter said.

--------------------------------------------------

Days-To-Sell Inventory Figures - April 1, 2011

DTS: Figure is based on the number of days needed to sell all vehicles in inventory based on the previous month's daily selling rate. May include vehicles in dealer stock, and those in shipping from the factory to the dealer.

Mfgr/Stock/DTS 04.01.11/DTS 03.01.11

Chrysler: 42,200 51 71
    Ford: 410,200 52 63
    GM: 573,900 75 60
    Honda: 209,000 47 64
    Hyundai/Kia: 120,100 31 40
    Mazda: 71,000 62 94
    Nissan: 172,900 39 48
    Subaru: 36,600 37 41
    Toyota: 329,500 50 65

Buick LaCrosse: 17,800 99 85
    Buick Regal: 12,800 95 78
    Cadillac CTS: 17,800 123 62
    Camaro: 24,900 75 94
    Corvette: 5,900 137 143
    Chevy Cruze: 37,500 56 44
    Chevy HHR: 5,000 18 22
    Chevy Impala: 16,900 25 25
    Chevy Malibu: 48,000 83 56
    Chevy Equinox: 26,300 48 30
    Chevy Silverado: 124,400 103 83
    Chevy Traverse: 23,100 76 52
    GMC Sierra: 48,200 112 89
    GMC Terrain: 13,600 58 34

Ford Fiesta: 15,600 43 80
    Ford Focus: 14,700 23 47
    Ford Fusion: 36,800 36 45
    Ford Mustang: 16,100 51 116
    Ford Explorer: 14,600 32 30
    Ford F Series: 136,700 69 82

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,055 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: As GM Cuts Back Incentives; Inventory Rises; Japanese Numbers Down

The numbers on the HHR and Impala seem low due to large fleet sales. Fleet sales are usually direct sales.

Mustang vs. Camaro. Is GM overstocked, or is Ford understocked? With the spring selling season under way, looks like Chevy dealers are well positioned here.

Thousands of dollars on the Malibu hood and not much is happening, while the Fusion remains hot. Thank you Consumer Reports!

Equinox and Cruze production seems to be in full swing.

Red Hot: Foreign CUVs:

BMW Trucks: 1,600 9 10
    Porsche Trucks: 500 12 13

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    The numbers on the HHR and Impala seem low due to large fleet sales. Fleet sales are usually direct sales.

Mustang vs. Camaro. Is GM overstocked, or is Ford understocked? With the spring selling season under way, looks like Chevy dealers are well positioned here.

Thousands of dollars on the Malibu hood and not much is happening, while the Fusion remains hot. Thank you Consumer Reports!

Equinox and Cruze production seems to be in full swing.

Red Hot: Foreign CUVs:

BMW Trucks: 1,600 9 10
    Porsche Trucks: 500 12 13

Friend's buddy just took delivery of a 2011 ragtop Camaro. Can't wait to see it.

Malibu sales I don't get. It can't be just be Consumer Reports. I see very little advertising, seems like Chevy is spending all it's marketing dollars on Cruze right now.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) wescoent's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,722 Times in 999 Posts

Validates my observation that Mustang inventory has been quite thin as of late, compared to the plethora of Camaros on lots.
    "They say Eve tempted Adam with an apple, but man I ain't goin' for that. I know it was her pink Cadillac!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dindak View Post
    Friend's buddy just took delivery of a 2011 ragtop Camaro. Can't wait to see it.

Malibu sales I don't get. It can't be just be Consumer Reports. I see very little advertising, seems like Chevy is spending all it's marketing dollars on Cruze right now.
    I don't either. I really like the Malibu, if I were in the market, it would be at the top of my list.
    "It's starting to hit me like a ....ummmm... two ton heavy thing"

2004 Chevrolet Classic (RIP Dad)
    1996 Chevy Express Stealth Camper

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however, I don't understand all the hoopla over the current Malibu. I see postings on here all the time how the Bu is a great looking car, nicer than the competition...yada, yada, yada. I'm a GM supporter, don't get me wrong, however, the Bu is one boring car. To me, it's nothing more than a Camry with a bow tie. Granted, it's nicer than the previous generation, however, I wasn't that impressed when it was released, and certainly am not a few years after the fact. Honestly, I'd keep my current G6 if given the option between the two (granted, the Bu interior is much nicer than the 6er).

I hope the new Bu can bring some excitement back....right now though, I just don't see it.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mp11477 View Post
    I understand that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however, I don't understand all the hoopla over the current Malibu. I see postings on here all the time how the Bu is a great looking car, nicer than the competition...yada, yada, yada. I'm a GM supporter, don't get me wrong, however, the Bu is one boring car. To me, it's nothing more than a Camry with a bow tie. Granted, it's nicer than the previous generation, however, I wasn't that impressed when it was released, and certainly am not a few years after the fact. Honestly, I'd keep my current G6 if given the option between the two (granted, the Bu interior is much nicer than the 6er).

I hope the new Bu can bring some excitement back....right now though, I just don't see it.

Judging by information and all the teaser shots it looks like the 2013 Malibu may have an improved tail end treatment and probably a bolder front end but don't expect much excitement from the side view or under the hood. Think of a Cruze but Malibu sized.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mp11477 View Post

Might as well keep it...what's the trade in on Pontiac's now? A dollar less than nothing?

You're the first person I ever heard calling the Malibu "boring". I've posted on here several times about people approaching me in my Malibu amazed over how great it looked. This was last year...three years after it's intro date.

People nowadays (hell, four years ago) look at the G6 and just shake their heads...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 535 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cruze LT

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    Validates my observation that Mustang inventory has been quite thin as of late, compared to the plethora of Camaros on lots.
    Meh, still wont change anything in the sale between the two IMO... Especially with the arrival of the Camaro vert.. My dealership sold his first 2 verts before they were even on the lot...
    Hidden Content

New Aluminum body? GM don't currr

6.2 for life

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Maybe Cruze is pulling some sales away from Malibu?

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by howey View Post
    Might as well keep it...what's the trade in on Pontiac's now? A dollar less than nothing?
    Actually, I just ran it through the blue book. Comparing my G6 GT to a comparatively equipped Bu 2LT, the Bu has a better blue book by roughly 1500 bucks. So, while the Pontiac is defunct, I'd hardly say the Bu kept its value much better.

Regardless, I'm not knocking anyone if you like the Malibu...glad to hear. Likewise, I'm not saying the G6 is the world's most refined midsize sedan, because it isn't. All I'm saying is, in my opinion, I can understand why the Bu has 2.5k on the hood right now. It just looks like a Camry with a bow tie on it...especially from the side profile. I guess I'm just in the minority.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wescoent View Post
    Call me impressionable, but whenever I hear the term "plethora" I am reminded of the most awesome scene in Three Amigos where the question is posed - "What is a plethora?" - YouTube link to that scene follows.

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet & Cadillac

Why would anyone buy a Malibu when they could have a Cruze? I know I sure wouldn't.. The Cruze is roughly the same size with better build quality far better interior quality. Ever since the Cruze came along the Malibu is the now Impala's little brother at the rental lots.

Not that the Malibu is a bad car. I rather like it myself but it's outdated with poor interior quality and those cheaper interiors just don't cut it in this market anymore. The Impala while outdated still sells on size and value. And the interior while not the greatest still feels less 'plasticky'.

I'd also like to point out something I noticed in buyers while being on both Ford and Chevrolet lots. The Fusion is considered the new Taurus and is compared to the Impala, not the Malibu. When people think Malibu they think Focus competitior. Comparing the two just doesn't work.. I think this will be remedied with the new larger looking Malibu. Then people will look at a Fusion/Malibu side by side and since they look about the same size, they'll be compared to eachother in their minds..

The Taurus is like Ford's crown jewel in the Ford line up and is completely out of the picture. It's a status/flagship model in place only for those who want the best with a blue oval on the front. And of course it adds street cred to the entire Ford line up.. This is something Chevrolet desperately needs...

And please don't say "That's what Buick is for". I don't Want a Buick. Nobody I know wants a Buick... Ya they're nice cars. I congratulate GM on this. I hope they sell a zillion of them to their intended market. Myself and everyone I know want a world class Chevrolet... not a buick. Buick is the new brand for 'hippie' types around here.. It's not uncommon to see a Volkswagen and a Buick side by side. And this is fantastic for GM! The found their niche for the brand...

The 1900's ladder has been burned to ashes... It's time for Chevrolet to shine.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,749 Times in 3,270 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by tombalas View Post
    Call me impressionable, but whenever I hear the term "plethora" I am reminded of the most awesome scene in Three Amigos where the question is posed - "What is a plethora?" - YouTube link to that scene follows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mTUmczVdik
    great clip

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Chevy Silverado: 124,400 103 83
    GMC Sierra: 48,200 112 89
    There's the elephant in the room. GM is overbuilding the Silverado and Sierra - look for some great deals in the summer months.

It's only 1 month of data, but if these trends continue, GM has something going on, and it's not good.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information