GM Confirms that EV Pick up is Coming

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM Confirms that EV Pick up is Coming

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks

GM Confirms that EV Pick up is Coming

General Motors CEO Mary Barra has just confirmed that the automaker is indeed readying an electric pickup truck to compete with the likes of the electric Ford F-150 and Rivian R1T.

As Barra stated, electric "full-size pickups" are indeed in the future plans for the automaker. No further details were provided. Therefore, we don't even know if the electric truck will be a Chevrolet, GMC or other make. It's all up in the air at the moment, aside from full confirmation that an electric truck is in the works.

https://insideevs-com.cdn.ampproject...k-chevy-gmc%2F
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Re: GM Confirms that EV Pick up is Coming

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    General Motors CEO Mary Barra has just confirmed that the automaker is indeed readying an electric pickup truck to compete with the likes of the electric Ford F-150 and Rivian R1T.

As Barra stated, electric "full-size pickups" are indeed in the future plans for the automaker.

Clearly this decision is very recent (maybe last week) and a 180 degree turn from where Barra and other GM execs were at the end of 2018. Link to Article

In late 2018:
    The GM executive in charge of global strategy, Mike Abelson says that electric pickup trucks are not in the company’s plans. And then he added “There will not be any AV/EV pickups.”

CEO Marry Barra said that she has only given a “tiny bit” of thought about producing an electric pickup truck.

It is becoming clear that the move to partner with Rivian was a move of desperation. GM has just now decided to produce an EV in the form of a fullsize pickup but is way behind the curve. Thankfully GM is not new to working from behind, and I expect a quickly conceived and hastily produced electric version of a Silverado will be floated soon.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mingo For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-30-2019),bballr4567 (04-30-2019),BlackGTP (04-30-2019),Ed753 (05-01-2019),EJD1984 (05-01-2019),Neanderthal (05-01-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,527 Times in 3,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Two packs of bolt batterypack, and walla, a new more powerful motor.. front and back.. but knowing GM it will be more complex, much more complex than anything from anyone, and then some, and that will be their problems

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    Two packs of bolt batterypack, and walla, a new more powerful motor.. front and back.. but knowing GM it will be more complex, much more complex than anything from anyone, and then some, and that will be their problems
    I hope not! GM really needs to do this right

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,527 Times in 3,172 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Mingo View Post
    I hope not! GM really needs to do this right
    Like the Rivian minivan or in the traditional Detroit mode? VIA motors already does GM electric trucks.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 1,890 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post

As Barra stated, electric "full-size pickups" are indeed in the future plans for the automaker. No further details were provided. Therefore, we don't even know if the electric truck will be a Chevrolet, GMC or other make. It's all up in the air at the moment, aside from full confirmation that an electric truck is in the works.

would make for a nice rebirth of the Escalade EXT. Maybe rename it Escalade EVT?

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,206 Times in 2,416 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Clearly this decision is very recent (maybe last week) and a 180 degree turn from where Barra and other GM execs were at the end of 2018. Link to Article

In late 2018:
    The GM executive in charge of global strategy, Mike Abelson says that electric pickup trucks are not in the company’s plans. And then he added “There will not be any AV/EV pickups.”

CEO Marry Barra said that she has only given a “tiny bit” of thought about producing an electric pickup truck.

It is becoming clear that the move to partner with Rivian was a move of desperation. GM has just now decided to produce an EV in the form of a fullsize pickup but is way behind the curve. Thankfully GM is not new to working from behind, and I expect a quickly conceived and hastily produced electric version of a Silverado will be floated soon.
    Yup. Pretty sad move. They'll have an EV truck out in 4 years. Maybe.

Ute
    Thanks

In late 2018:

Right now, Ford is behind, It can't design an electric pickup on his own. And how many people are willing to buy an electric work pickup for 60K?

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    It's not a problem. An electric pickup will be an expensive toy and most likely unprofitable.
    Last edited by Ute; 04-30-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    Hidden Content

Current car: Subaru Outback 3.0R 2008 MY
    Current car: Chevrolet Tahoe 2018 MY

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ute For This Useful Post:

TruckMan (05-01-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,059 Posts

Not really. They've already developed an electric motor that bolts to a regular transmission, see eCOPO. Just need a place to put the batteries, likely under the bed..

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JimmyDiablo For This Useful Post:

CMiatso DaBang (04-30-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Ute View Post
    Right now, Ford is behind, It can't design an electric pickup on his own. And how many people are willing to buy an electric work pickup for 60K?

It's not a problem. An electric pickup will be an expensive toy and most likely unprofitable.
    It IS a problem when GM has literally said that they are moving to EV vehicles immediately.

Thanks

In late 2018:

That's what U got from that? Who would, in a desperation, only have a single egg in the basket.. in desperation? Typical GMI stuff concerning the "GM" part of the GMI. Maybe in some crazy attempt to not let all their secret plans out they decided to keep something under their hat. If I were running GM U would hear jack until I wanted U to hear it.
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears, 2003 Harley Softail with Rinehart exhaust, 2016 Harley Night Rod Special Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyDiablo View Post
    Not really. They've already developed an electric motor that bolts to a regular transmission, see eCOPO. Just need a place to put the batteries, likely under the bed..
    Yup.. Supposedly so easy it can go in existing vehicles with a few turns of the wrench

Ute
    Thanks

It IS a problem when GM has literally said that they are moving to EV vehicles immediately.
    Immediately or by 2023? Well, this is in line with their early plans (including electric LCV).
    Hidden Content

Current car: Subaru Outback 3.0R 2008 MY
    Current car: Chevrolet Tahoe 2018 MY

Thanks

We all know that "immediately" for GM means in about 5 years or so. Aside from FCA having a quasi electric truck (I don't care enough about it to know) who is GM trailing so tragically behind it the electric pick up game?.

We all will know eventually know where GM is in the EV pick up game. Maybe it will be something to our delight or maybe it will be a turd. Time will reveal what Mary and the Funky Bunch have planned out.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (05-01-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    We all know that "immediately" for GM means in about 5 years or so. Aside from FCA having a quasi electric truck (I don't care enough about it to know) who is GM trailing so tragically behind it the electric pick up game?.

We all will know eventually know where GM is in the EV pick up game. Maybe it will be something to our delight or maybe it will be a turd. Time will reveal what Mary and the Funky Bunch have planned out.
    It's the fact that Mary said nope and then four months later she says yup. Same crap as the CT6. If she doesn't keep a consistent message what does that mean to the people working for her? Sorry, GM should have been on this electric truck about three years ago and surprised everyone with a T1 version.

22. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information