General Motors in talks with state over $1 Billion expansion at Wentzville plant

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: General Motors in talks with state over $1 Billion expansion at Wentzville plant

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

General Motors in talks with state over $1 Billion expansion at Wentzville plant

General Motors in talks with state over expansion at Wentzville plant
    STL Today
    May 2, 2019

JEFFERSON CITY — General Motors officials are expected to meet with Missouri Gov. Mike Parson on Thursday to discuss a $1 billion expansion project at the company’s Wentzville assembly plant.

Although details of the expansion were not immediately available, GM is expected to request a package of incentives from the state to help pay for job training and retooling at the light truck and van manufacturing facility, situated about 40 miles from St. Louis in St. Charles County.

Those incentives have already been the subject of sometimes heated political wrangling on the Senate floor, where two St. Charles County lawmakers have questioned programs backed by Parson aimed at job creation.

One of those lawmakers, Sen. Bill Eigel, R-Weldon Spring, said he was pleased to hear GM was considering making a major investment in the region.

But he said he was still waiting for details.

“It’s hard for me to comment because I’m still not sure what they need,” Eigel said.

Sen. Bob Onder, R-Lake Saint Louis, said he would welcome an expansion at the plant but was skeptical about the need for additional incentive programs.

“If GM wants to invest another billion dollars in the plant in my district, I am thrilled to hear that,” Onder said. “But I really didn’t hear anything today that would require new legislation or new programs above and beyond what we have.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Re: General Motors in talks with state over $1 Billion expansion at Wentzville plant

Here comes the VSS-T trucks.

With such a large expansion does this mean more capacity to build the trucks and vans, or possibly a new BOF model - hopefully an SUV?

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

Re: General Motors in talks with state over $1 Billion expansion at Wentzville plant

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post

With such a large expansion does this mean more capacity to build the trucks and vans, or possibly a new BOF model - hopefully an SUV?
    New GMC Jimmy ??

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BahamaTodd View Post

I do not think that Wentzville could support an additional 150K units of an SUV without something being moved out. My guess is that a redesigned van will be assembled at another plant.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

Advice to Missouri: Don't give them a dime for the expansion. Make it easy to expand, offer to cut red tape and speed up the construction and environmental studies, but don't give them any tax money to incentivize them to do something they are already planning to do.

I don't say this because GM has shown a pattern of giving the middle finger to the US for the last several years, I say this because it's the same standard all states should take to big business.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to usa1 For This Useful Post:

Stéphane Dumas (05-06-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD Vette/16/blk

While I don't agree with GM asking, they are acting no differently than any other company. Unfortunately, state/local govs have fallen for it hook line and sinker. Amazon basically turned it into a feeding frenzy when the did HQ2. Foxconn got huge benefit and where are those jobs? Dell did it to NC. It is similar to the stadiums that are built on taxpayer/student backs.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,517 Times in 3,168 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    While I don't agree with GM asking, they are acting no differently than any other company. Unfortunately, state/local govs have fallen for it hook line and sinker. Amazon basically turned it into a feeding frenzy when the did HQ2. Foxconn got huge benefit and where are those jobs? Dell did it to NC. It is similar to the stadiums that are built on taxpayer/student backs.
    Yup, the United States is the last place that should be issuing incentives to anyone

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,057 Posts

Corporate Welfare is a scourge on society.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

With Chrysler completely out of MO, the decision to try and help GM is going to make politicians weak-kneed. Ford is in the KC area (MO side), but this is it for St. Louis, I believe.

The thing is, all these big companies get deals. Except when an idiot steps in and prevents Amazon from doing business in her District.

Most of them really want the jobs, the prosperity, and the tax base - when the companies do finally get past all the initial waivers on taxes...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 534 Posts

You want to build ish in the US again? Subsidies/tax breaks are the way it's going to happen, you can claim they're the devil and all but I see them (subsidies) as a necessary evil. Companies like GM get into a damned if you do - f'd if you don't scenario when being pigeonholed into using American Labor as the costs are just too high to be competitive in the global market, sorry to say it but it is what it is.

Fact is that none of us are willing to work in a factory producing Chevy Blazers for $2.04/hr so we can't get upset if an Automaker packs up and moves production to a place where labor can be obtained @ that cost. Gov't subsidies/tax breaks won't completely eliminate the gap in labor costs but they'll go a long freaking way to making it more palatable.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-08-2019),TruckMan (05-09-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,772 Times in 1,057 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    The thing is, all these big companies get deals. Except when an idiot steps in and prevents Amazon from doing business in her District.

Most of them really want the jobs, the prosperity, and the tax base - when the companies do finally get past all the initial waivers on taxes...
    The right pays way more attention to her than the left does. It's funny how much they empower her. She'd fade into oblivion if they would just stop. There was far more people involved than her. It started with the people who lived there. As soon as it was announced, the rents in the area jumped by 30% and were expected to rise quickly once construction started. No part of that deal was favored by many who lived there. The only people who favored it were the section 8 crowd who thought they were going to get rich quick thinking the so called high paying jobs would be available to them, except none of them had the qualifications for them.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,143 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    #1 HQ2 was "won" by a region that did NOT need the JOBS and it became the poster boy of BAD corp BIDDING

#2 FOXCONN panel plant was based on CORNING moving across the street as the glass sheets can NOT be shipped long distance and CORNING would NOT MOVE as there was NO MONEY offered to them to move another plant into the area and it was also "back of napkin" to announcement because it LOOKED good for TRUMP and a "WIN" even knowings it was 1/2 baked and logistically murky at best and FOXCONN wants to LOOK good to America and avoid huawei like tarnishing

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information