General Motors Is Still Crushing Ford - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: General Motors Is Still Crushing Ford

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Black Impala

Re: General Motors Is Still Crushing Ford

Quote Originally Posted by TORRED1 View Post
    I would expect GM to be crushing Ford, they got all their debt wiped clean and 50 billion in cash handed to them, should we expect anything less.
    In have to give Ford credit for doing as well as they are, considering their debt wasn't wiped clean and they didn't screw their stock holders.
    After the bankruptcy's Ford was giving updated reports about there continued reduction of debt, I have not heard one in a couple of years. Have they paid down there debt completely or are they giving to much to the share holders

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,107 Times in 2,069 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by georgewerr View Post
    After the bankruptcy's Ford was giving updated reports about there continued reduction of debt, I have not heard one in a couple of years. Have they paid down there debt completely or are they giving to much to the share holders
    Giving too much to share holders......LOL

$12.8 Billion Debt but I think part of that is a revolving line of Credit..

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by roy219 View Post
    +1
    Thank you jpd80, well said! The oft repeated myth about sales of passenger cars and light trucks to rental fleets (or government or commercial fleets, for that matter) being unprofitable refuses to die in the media, unfortunately.
    The article didn't say they were "unprofitable", it said they "earn low margins". There's a difference. And it's true - or do you actually think Enterprise is paying anywhere close to MSRP?
    Current rides:
    2018 GMC Acadia Denali AWD
    2014 Chevrolet Volt
    2011 Saab 9-3 Convertible Aero
    1978 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale

Past rides:
    2016 Chevrolet Equinox LT, 2013 Chevrolet Cruze LS M6, 2013 Buick Encore, 2007 Buick Rendezvous CXL, 2006 Pontiac GTO M6, 2005 Pontiac GTO M6, 1999 Ford Contour SVT, 1995 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Convertible, 1989 Buick Regal, 1983 Buick Regal

5. The Following User Says Thank You to briandors For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-10-2016)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks

I think GM is more worried about lowered residual values and higher leasing costs related to a flood of used rental fleets being dumped on the market than just the lower profit made on sales. For a few years now they have made a point of saying they are going to rely less on daily rental fleets and more on government and company fleets.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
    The big areas where GM gapped Ford are:
    1. Full sized trucks, Ford's F150 changeover probably costing 100K sales, maybe more.
    2. Full sized Utilities - Ford's Expedition and navigator are just too old now and lack enough appeal.
    3. Mid Sized trucks - Ford's avoidance of Ranger has probably cost it another 100K sales.

Look at those three items and there's probably another 300K annual sales there for the taking,
    the only thing is that Ford probably lacks the production capacity to completely fill that deficit
    but we will see it make good on F Series this year, new large Utilities next year and Ranger after that.
    Yes and GM is going to stand still, while Ford overcomes its screw-ups.

Lack of production capacity is a screwup of production planning due to lack of foresight by Ford's executives. Ford fans portray it as a handicap rather than call it what it is.

GM executives on the other hand would be ridiculed for not doing proper strategic planning.

When it comes to strategic planning and reading of the market GM executives have done better.
    1) Bringing out mid-size trucks was a better first step to meet the increasing CAFE standards - it has expanded their truck market share as an added benefit. Ford thougt their all Al truck would gobble up share and leave the competitors scrambling to match them. It has been far from it. With their experience in mixed materials strategy GM will execute the aluminum implementation in truck and utilities more efficiently than Ford.

2) Ford can be given credit for giving importance to the van segment. GM has some catching up to do in that.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to akbar For This Useful Post:

AMERICA 123 (11-10-2016),jzchev28 (02-08-2016)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 550 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TORRED1 View Post
    I would expect GM to be crushing Ford, they got all their debt wiped clean and 50 billion in cash handed to them, should we expect anything less.
    In have to give Ford credit for doing as well as they are, considering their debt wasn't wiped clean and they didn't screw their stock holders.
    Stop spreading misinformation. This is extremely factually inaccurate.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Greg Burr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Quote Originally Posted by SKH View Post
    They endlessly post puff pieces about Tesla. I think they must be on Elon's payroll.
    Maybe but I think that journalists are too often trying to virtue signal and show themselves as hip and cool

Walking
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2003 S-10 ZR2, Black

Quote Originally Posted by analogbubbles View Post
    I'd like to see the fleet breakdown for Camaro vs Mustang. Historically the Mustangs been quite a bit higher and I suspect that's never been truer than it is right now.
    The Dodge Challenger is out selling both.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,119 Times in 1,311 Posts

Ford is a better investment than GM is, at least Ford will continue to print money with the F-Series Trucks and moving the Explorer to RWD expands the profitability as does the fact that powertrains can be shared among F-Series, Explorer and Transit along with many new Lincoln SUVs.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SierraGS For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (05-19-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,861 Times in 1,215 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Holy resurected post Batman
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (05-19-2019),TruckMan (05-20-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,235 Times in 1,039 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VS Ute 5Litre View Post
    Holy resurected post Batman
    No kidding, I started reading on the first page and have had at least a dozen "Wait, what?" moments! I didn't actually look at the dates until I read about Ford losing 100k F-150 sales due to the changeover wonder what changeover?

Thanks
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by SP1966 View Post
    No kidding, I started reading on the first page and have had at least a dozen "Wait, what?" moments! I didn't actually look at the dates until I read about Ford losing 100k F-150 sales due to the changeover wonder what changeover?
    I was really confused too, especially when I started reading about comparing sales numbers to January 2015, and I was like that's a weird date/year to randomly pick.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information