General Motors Is Still Crushing Ford - Page 2

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: General Motors Is Still Crushing Ford

Back!
    Thanks

Re: General Motors Is Still Crushing Ford

Last year was likely the best opportunity GM is going to have to show better fiscal results than Ford for various reasons, not the least of which was Ford bringing an aluminum intensive F-150 on line and all the costs, delays, and complications involved in that rather radical process. Despite that opportunity GM did not deliver in terms of besting Ford. Almost everybody but the fool is indicating that Ford is the stock to buy here, and for good reason, Ford has realistically been the better buy here since 08 and will likely stay that way for quite some time.

Cash-flow issues at GM are largely due to the fact that the new boss in the Rencen really is just the old boss with long hair, lipstick, and a coach bag. As such they still have most if not all of the same internal issues they did pre-reorganization, and that is a big problem.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to syr74 For This Useful Post:

jalberda (02-07-2016),jpd80 (02-06-2016)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,133 Times in 2,086 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by cbennie2 View Post
    But when GM was holding the line on discounts...people complained they were leaving sales on the table. Now Ford holds the line on incentives and it's a good move?

Still sounds to me like some spin...
    All they did was sell 3% less which 173K or so and got $1,800 more average for each vehicle.
    That was good business..

GM sold 18% more but offered more incentives and that was good business too

not saying anymore than that, it just what happened for both...
    Last edited by jpd80; 02-06-2016 at 05:37 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

jalberda (02-07-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
    Last year was likely the best opportunity GM is going to have to show better fiscal results than Ford for various reasons, not the least of which was Ford bringing an aluminum intensive F-150 on line and all the costs, delays, and complications involved in that rather radical process. Despite that opportunity GM did not deliver in terms of besting Ford. Almost everybody but the fool is indicating that Ford is the stock to buy here, and for good reason, Ford has realistically been the better buy here since 08 and will likely stay that way for quite some time.
    Can you imagine a rampant Ford this year chock full of F150 inventory on a mission to sell as many as they can,
    the run out and run in of Alloy Super Duty could be an interesting time to pick up some impressive bargains
    as the change over wil be way less disruptive. I sense Ford is not going to hold back with truck sales....

I just wish Ford had the new Expedition & Navigator there to sell, those two would really knock it out of the park..
    Still, if Ford don't spend early and quickly, we don't see those new products as soon as people expect...

Cash-flow issues at GM are largely due to the fact that the new boss in the Rencen really is just the old boss with long hair, lipstick, and a coach bag. As such they still have most if not all of the same internal issues they did pre-reorganization, and that is a big problem.
    An iron fist in a velvet glove...i'm sure Mary Bara is trying her best to bring change..
    Last edited by jpd80; 02-06-2016 at 05:58 PM.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,059 Times in 3,643 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    Because rental car companies are mainly the only ones buying the Dart, Sebring, & 200. That's why it makes all the sense in the world to write them off and let someone else make them.

There's much more profit in fleet sales than Rental
    That's my point though, kill those sales and just sell to retail, they can't be selling 100% of production to rental. Mazda makes a profit on low volume, FCA should be able to as well. And killing those rental sales gives them all the space to ramp up Jeep production.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 645 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by analogbubbles View Post
    I'd like to see the fleet breakdown for Camaro vs Mustang. Historically the Mustangs been quite a bit higher and I suspect that's never been truer than it is right now.
    Rented a brand new Mustang earlier this year on a business trip to OKC. It didn't absolutely suck like Mustangs of the past, but I definitely wouldn't buy one.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

In any regard, I'm pretty sure that Mustang fleet sales have been steady at 23% for the last few years.
    That seems a little up but probably driven by renter requests for the vehicles and any fleet dumping.
    Last edited by jpd80; 02-07-2016 at 02:44 AM.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    07 Vette Cruze 2015 Colorado

GM has not deviated from their goal and that is to build the best cars at the best value in the world. Keep that focus, GM! I proud of you.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Al465 For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (09-07-2016)

b4z
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2006 Pontiac GTO, 2014 SRX

GM must still have some inefficiencies or overcapacity if they cant show a better profit, but the motley fool just needs to fold up shop and go away.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 GTO, 2013 VOLT

I would expect GM to be crushing Ford, they got all their debt wiped clean and 50 billion in cash handed to them, should we expect anything less.
    In have to give Ford credit for doing as well as they are, considering their debt wasn't wiped clean and they didn't screw their stock holders.
    Goldman Sachs , AIG , Wells Fargo, Berkshire Hathaway , UAW, & SEIU.......Todays organized crime mobs

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TORRED1 For This Useful Post:

pcsario (02-10-2016),SP1966 (05-19-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 3,115 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse

When all is said and done, General Motors vehicles are so well engineered, its difficult for anyone to test drive one against a rival and not get the GM vehicle.
    The Value, driving characteristic and technology equation is totally off the charts in comparison to rivals.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (09-07-2016)

doh
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 doh's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    When all is said and done, General Motors vehicles are so well engineered, its difficult for anyone to test drive one against a rival and not get the GM vehicle.
    The Value, driving characteristic and technology equation is totally off the charts in comparison to rivals.
    And wasn't it a pretty purple sunset last night!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to doh For This Useful Post:

erasmus (02-08-2016),Pisswilly (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    GM is being rewarded for giving buyers what they want and are probably closer to having its production right sized for the current market. Ford's defensive strategy means it doesn't have the ability to expand quick enough to take advantage of the best selling conditions in years, it's screaming along in third gear where GM is in overdrive........

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

SP1966 (05-19-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

GM's rental fleet only cars are a smart move.

Thanks
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

The big areas where GM gapped Ford are:
    1. Full sized trucks, Ford's F150 changeover probably costing 100K sales, maybe more.
    2. Full sized Utilities - Ford's Expedition and navigator are just too old now and lack enough appeal.
    3. Mid Sized trucks - Ford's avoidance of Ranger has probably cost it another 100K sales.

Look at those three items and there's probably another 300K annual sales there for the taking,
    the only thing is that Ford probably lacks the production capacity to completely fill that deficit
    but we will see it make good on F Series this year, new large Utilities next year and Ranger after that.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Black Impala

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    That's my point though, kill those sales and just sell to retail, they can't be selling 100% of production to rental. Mazda makes a profit on low volume, FCA should be able to as well. And killing those rental sales gives them all the space to ramp up Jeep production.
    I do not know much about FCA production facility's but do they make Jeep products at the same plant's as the 200 and Dart or can they be added to these places

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information