GM Inside News Forum banner

General Motors exec takes Chevy Volt to Capitol Hill today

5K views 91 replies 48 participants last post by  camaro_freak 
#1 ·
General Motors exec takes Chevy Volt to Capitol Hill today
David Shepardson / Detroit News Washington Bureau

Plug-in hybrids will be on center stage in Washington today as the Chevy Volt makes an appearance on Capitol Hill as part of General Motors Corp.'s effort to convince Congress to pass a more palatable fuel efficiency increase.
GM's No. 3 official, Troy Clarke -- head of North American operations -- is returning to the Hill today to meet with a about a dozen mostly undecided lawmakers. He also will show off a GM concept car, the Chevy Volt, in trying to explain why the company believes the long-term answer to energy independence is through biofuels and the electrification of the automobile, rather than spending tens of billions of dollars to meet 4 percent annual corporate average fuel efficiency.
The Volt -- which GM hopes to start production of in 2010 if battery technology evolves sufficiently -- would allow drivers to go up to 40 miles on an electric motor, while the vehicle also has a traditional internal combustion engine.
Clarke's visit comes two days about 100 auto dealers from the Detroit Three and Toyota blitzed Capitol Hill to support a fuel economy measure that is less onerous to automakers.

Continued at link... http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070719/UPDATE/707190446

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
rather than spending tens of billions of dollars to meet 4 percent annual corporate average fuel efficiency.
Are they going to throw up that straw man? Last I checked the Senate agreement did not require the 4% annual increases and they gave up on that part of it.

Also, this whole smoke and mirrors thing with the Volt really bugs me. Because at the heart of it you know that GM just wants to keep selling its profit-laden SUVs, Crossovers and Trucks while Lutz tells us that the Minicars we voted on here in the US weren't really meant for us, after all. And if they can sell Volts that amount to a drop in the bucket sales-wise, and use that as a distraction from what they REALLY want to sell (more fuel-inefficient large vehicles) and will keep selling, then they'll be happy.

It would be one thing if GM was going to Congress with a real car in showrooms like a next gen EV1. But this car is not real, and therefore Congress should view this with a very skeptical eye, unless and until Detroit agrees to equally radical plans to go all plug-in by a certain date.

Remember Ford's promise after promise to build a certain number of Hybrids by a date they keep pushing out? I see this talk of the Volt as the same thing. If it comes out as a sort of long-hooded mini-Camaro like the concept that is not practical to park and not particularly utilitarian without a useful hatch, I don't expect many Prius buyers to switch to it. If it tries hard to not look like an "alternative propulsion vehicle", then well, we've seen what's happened to cars like the Honda Accord Hybrid. And if sales are just so-so and only a tiny percentage of GMNA's sales, then what will have really changed?

Selling one car or a few variants of that one car, no matter how groundbreaking it is, is nothing more than a game of misdirection if GM's main priority still lies with the status quo of lining the Executives pockets with as much short term cash as possible by pushing "What Americans Want" (and what GM coincidentally heavily advertises to Americans and tempts them with fat rebates) - Big crossovers, trucks and SUVs that get far, far less than 35MPG or will have prohibitively expensive hybrid setups that will push them over the $40K mark, far out of reach of many Americans....but at least for now are profit-packed enough to keep GM afloat and turn their attention away from what they really need: more creative smaller cars with 4-cylinder engines that get 35-40MPG.

#7 ·
The point MrJamesMc is that the volt will be able to run on electric power for the 40 mile round trip that the majority of americans make in their daily commute to work. The engine then extends the range of the vehicle by recharging the batteries on the go. This allows for an extremely long range on a relatively small amount of fuel. The benefit to this type of system is that it allows for a myriad of different power plants to be used to recharge the batteries. So whatever the future holds for alternative fuels whether it be diesel, biodiesel, E85, or even hyrdogen, the Volt and the E-Flex architecture have the ability to easily adapt to whatever market the vehicle is being sold in, as well as whatever future fuel wins out in the coming years.

#8 ·
mbukukanyau said:
what for? They need to stop this sort of stuff and work on the damn car, to bring it to the market
I think the point is that the automakers don't want to waste money meeting the new standards that they could be spending on alternative fuel source applications.

#9 ·
K-1 said:
I doubt they stuffed all 500+ engineers in the car to commute to D.C.. Don't you think they can do both at the same time?
You are absolutely right! Toyota is certainly expending a lot of time and money on government and community relations and General Motors has to be competitive in this area also. It seems that government relations is a big factor in Toyota's plant placement. They don't place two plants in one state because they want to influence more governors, congressman, and senators. Placing plants in Mississippi and Texas did not make much sense from a logistics standpoint, but it did from a public/government relations standpoint.

#10 · (Edited)
Timekeeper said:
I think the point is that the automakers don't want to waste money meeting the new standards that they could be spending on alternative fuel source applications.
Right, because the first thing on GM's agenda is to build plug-in Suburbayukahoes, Silvieirras and Acadavoys. Not keep the same technology under the hood that's been paid for in those vehicles for as long as possible to maximize profits. We can trust GM to make alternative fuel / propulsion their top priority -- a higher priority than the status quo that keeps them afloat and profiting despite UAW/health care/retiree costs. Soon a whole line of efficient small cars and plug ins will just burst from the dams of GM's engineering centers and wash away the fuel inefficient gasoline powered big trucks, large crossovers and SUVs like a bad dream.

#12 · (Edited)
K-1 said:
Isn't that the goal of every corporation?
Exactly. And that's why the Volt talk is just smoke & mirrors to deflect from their most profitable bread & butter vehicles. The ones they really want to sell - to the public, not just congress or a PR firm.

My point is, GM needs a WW2 like technological do-or-die kick in the pants to really revolutionize their lineup, because profits will always come first if you leave it up to them. And 35MPG would do just that - a square hard kick in the rear. Then we'll no longer have to hear about how only Honda and Toyota offer fuel efficient cars.

Unless you buy the scare tactics that GM "cannot" compete with 35mpg. Even when they have a lot of potential help in the form of current Opel vehicles (for fuel efficient technology and space-efficient small cars), Brazil (for E-85 and small diesels & trucks) and Daewoo (for value pricing and profitable minicars - as well as inexpensive $1000 option diesels).

#13 ·
Ming said:
Right, because the first thing on GM's agenda is to build plug-in Suburbayukahoes, Silvieirras and Acadavoys. Not keep the same technology under the hood that's been paid for in those vehicles for as long as possible to maximize profits. We can trust GM to make alternative fuel / propulsion their top priority -- a higher priority than the status quo that keeps them afloat and profiting despite UAW/health care/retiree costs. Soon a whole line of efficient small cars and plug ins will just burst from the dams of GM's engineering centers and wash away the fuel inefficient gasoline powered big trucks, large crossovers and SUVs like a bad dream.
Your being a bit silly Ming. GM is going to build the vehicles they can sell with a profit margin. Right now those are trucks, SUV's, crossovers and Cadillacs. All of those cars are going to be getting dual mode hybrid systems and diesel powerplants over the next two years to improve fuel economy.

GM has also made many very positive strides in its large and midsize car portfolios with the impending arrival of the Zeta cars and this current/next generation Epsilon body cars.

I'm not saying I'm not happy about GM's small and city car development (or therefore lack of) but progress is being made. I've heard that GM has pulled alot of people off of the small car development and put them on the E-Flex/Volt project to try to get it out as soon as possible. The Volt is a compact car that's slightly larger than the Cobalt. If GM can get it to market at a reasonable price (i.e. below 25k) they will have a serious problem building those cars fast enough to meet demand.

#14 ·
Ming said:
Exactly. And that's why the Volt talk is just smoke & mirrors to deflect from their most profitable bread & butter vehicles. The ones they really want to sell - to the public, not just congress or a PR firm.

Just like the Prius is nothing but smoke and mirrors to distract the public from how inefficient Toyota's trucks and SUV's are.

Ming said:
My point is, GM needs a WW2 like kick in the pants to really revolutionize their lineup, because profits will always come first if you leave it up to them. And 35MPG would do just that - a square hard kick in the rear. Then we'll no longer have to hear about how only Honda and Toyota offer fuel efficient cars.

Unless you buy the scare tactics that GM "cannot" compete with 35mpg. Even when they have a lot of potential help in the form of current Opel (for fuel efficient technology and space-efficient small cars), Brazil (for E-85 and small diesels) and Daewoo (for value pricing and profitable minicars - as well as inexpensive $1000 option diesels).
I agree with you up to a certain point. I do think a 35MPG standard would force GM to do more in these segments and I do think the looming improvement in the CAFE standards is forcing GM to put as much into the Volt as they are doing right now.

GM is bringing over the Astra which should get 35-37mpg on the 2008 EPA mileage standards and the Corsa will come in 2011 when its redesigned for both Europe and the US. Opels are coming in the form of Saturn. Daewoo's are coming on Chevy lots (Aveo-which isn't really competitive).

What I don't understand is why GM hasn't brought the flexfuel biopower SAAB line up over from Europe yet. That would seem to be a no brainer to me...

#15 ·
mbukukanyau said:
what for? They need to stop this sort of stuff and work on the damn car, to bring it to the market
Uh, I doubt the #3 guy from GM has anything to do with the engineering of the car. I'm sure he can go and ooh and ahh the folks on Capitol Hill to show them that, yes, GM actually has a clue as to fuel economy.

Plus, I doubt GM is sending that many folks to Capitol Hill. They're mostly execs and PR types, there for "grip and grins" and photo ops.

#16 · (Edited)
sigma said:
Your being a bit silly Ming. GM is going to build the vehicles they can sell with a profit margin. Right now those are trucks, SUV's, crossovers and Cadillacs. All of those cars are going to be getting dual mode hybrid systems and diesel powerplants over the next two years to improve fuel economy.
Silly? I don't think so. Unreasonably passionate today about GM's ability to compete? Yes.

We just read the article that said: GM May Subsidize $10000 for its Two-Mode Hybrid Powertrain.

Where is the affordability - for GM or for us, if they eat even half of the cost?

GM's focus in the U.S. is increasingly pushing it into a niche where it offers large vehicles with expensive fuel saving technology, or none at all and just plain ol' pushrods at the low end (for trucks).

Then they pin all of their hopes on the Volt. The wonder-car.

Meanwhile they ignore the importation of GM global cars (Lutz says the Minicars could be produced here, but nothing about importing them as if that was not an option) as a solution as Toyota imports half of its US lineup.

I guess if I was a big large truck and humongo-crossover fan or rooting for the return of the EV1 I'd be much less "silly" today. ;)

But I've always been the odd GM fan in that I loved their FWD wagons and hatches from the 1980's that got them through the last oil crisis that are hardly anywhere to be found now in GM's lineup, and certainly not on GM's radar as a solution.

Seeing GM choose to move further away from that, pushing me more towards imports, is a letdown and a bit frustrating after all these years of supporting them.

#17 ·
Ming said:
Also, this whole smoke and mirrors thing with the Volt really bugs me. Because at the heart of it you know that GM just wants to keep selling its profit-laden SUVs, Crossovers and Trucks while Lutz tells us that the Minicars we voted on here in the US weren't really meant for us, after all. And if they can sell Volts that amount to a drop in the bucket sales-wise, and use that as a distraction from what they REALLY want to sell (more fuel-inefficient large vehicles) and will keep selling, then they'll be happy.
It doesn't matter what GM "wants to sell." They can want it all they want, but if it's not something the public wants to buy, none of that matters. People want, and often have genuine use for, larger vehicles in this country. I believe GM genuinely wants to make those vehicles as efficient as possible, if for no other reason than knowing they have stiff competition. And if they make good profits selling them, why is that drawing your disdain?

So by your implication, Toyota makes the Prius because they'd prefer people all buy those (possibly at a loss), rather than buy their latest Tundras and Sequoias where they also make big profits, but GM is going to make the Volt just to put up a "smoke screen" while they mysteriously coerce the public to really buy Suburbans, Escalades, and H2s. Yah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

#18 ·
Ming said:
Mr , cynic, don't forget the 2 mode hybrid for the Suburbayukahoevereirracadilookenvoyclave!
then when they can, bigger Eflex will step in................like you didn't already know!!!

#20 ·
Ming said:
Are they going to throw up that straw man? Last I checked the Senate agreement did not require the 4% annual increases and they gave up on that part of it.

It would be one thing if GM was going to Congress with a real car in showrooms like a next gen EV1. But this car is not real, and therefore Congress should view this with a very skeptical eye, unless and until Detroit agrees to equally radical plans to go all plug-in by a certain date.

Remember Ford's promise after promise to build a certain number of Hybrids by a date they keep pushing out? I see this talk of the Volt as the same thing. If it comes out as a sort of long-hooded mini-Camaro like the concept that is not practical to park and not particularly utilitarian without a useful hatch, I don't expect many Prius buyers to switch to it. If it tries hard to not look like an "alternative propulsion vehicle", then well, we've seen what's happened to cars like the Honda Accord Hybrid. And if sales are just so-so and only a tiny percentage of GMNA's sales, then what will have really changed?

Selling one car or a few variants of that one car, no matter how groundbreaking it is, is nothing more than a game of misdirection if GM's main priority still lies with the status quo of lining the Executives pockets with as much short term cash as possible by pushing "What Americans Want" (and what GM coincidentally heavily advertises to Americans and tempts them with fat rebates) - Big crossovers, trucks and SUVs that get far, far less than 35MPG or will have prohibitively expensive hybrid setups that will push them over the $40K mark, far out of reach of many Americans....but at least for now are profit-packed enough to keep GM afloat and turn their attention away from what they really need: more creative smaller cars with 4-cylinder engines that get 35-40MPG.
The main problem with it is simple: It's vaporware at this point.

It's also not a five seater midsized sedan like the Prius is.

The Accord Hybrid failed because it was a "muscle hybrid". People who buy muscle cars don't buy hybrids and vice versa. SUV hybrids have a similiar problem.

People will buy ordinary-looking sedans that are hybrids-the hybrid versions of the Civic and Camry sell OK, better than hybrid SUVs.

#23 ·
The fact is that the Volt is revolutionary, and I mean REALLY revolutionary. How much of the driving in the world is more than 40 miles/day? If every car used no gas whatsoever in those first 40 miles for the day, how much gas would the US save? More importantly, how much of a market is there for a car that can get an infinite mpg for those who don't drive much, yet still have the ability to drive cross-country? Obviously there is a market for the Prius. The Volt, if built successfully, would be MUCH more fuel efficient than the Prius.

On a similar note, this is a technology that GM wants to get ahead in, because once the technology exists, they can theoretically apply it to every single one of their vehicles--trucks, vans, SUV's, large cars, everything. The gas savings would be enormous--much more than raising the national fuel economy standards. However, the current legislation doesn't help them to achieve this, it hinders them.

#25 ·
yamahr1 said:
It doesn't matter what GM "wants to sell." They can want it all they want, but if it's not something the public wants to buy, none of that matters.

So by your implication, Toyota makes the Prius because they'd prefer people all buy those (possibly at a loss), rather than buy their latest Tundras and Sequoias where they also make big profits, but GM is going to make the Volt just to put up a "smoke screen" while they mysteriously coerce the public to really buy Suburbans, Escalades, and H2s. Yah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:
Toyota is still really a Japanese company. And the Prius is made in Japan and sold there as well. And its what the Japanese want there, and just happened to work here, too.

GM is not "mysteriously coercing" anything. But watch where they put their money during the Superbowl. 2 years ago:

GM: Hummer, Trucks
Toyota: Prius

Even if Toyota does want us to buy more Tundras, and I'm sure they do, they don't NEED to sell those vehicles to survive.

It's becoming increasingly apparent to me that a smaller, leaner GM into the future will mean the opposite when it comes to the size of the vehicles they primarily sell in the USA. And that holds no attraction for me. For you it may, but not me.

And a mini-Camaro Volt with the issues I outlined above is equally uninteresting to me. So I shrug and sigh as I realize that GM has moved away from what I want, towards a different kind of gotta-have, bigger-is-better, styling first kind of company, as inexpensive, fuel efficient and versatile cars like the Cavalier Wagon or 4-cylinder powered Pontiac 6000 Wagon have no hope of ever returning to a GM under Lutz and Wagoner.

#26 ·
notoriety said:
The fact is that the Volt is revolutionary, and I mean REALLY revolutionary. How much of the driving in the world is more than 40 miles/day? If every car used no gas whatsoever in those first 40 miles for the day, how much gas would the US save? More importantly, how much of a market is there for a car that can get an infinite mpg for those who don't drive much, yet still have the ability to drive cross-country? Obviously there is a market for the Prius. The Volt, if built successfully, would be MUCH more fuel efficient than the Prius.

On a similar note, this is a technology that GM wants to get ahead in, because once the technology exists, they can theoretically apply it to every single one of their vehicles--trucks, vans, SUV's, large cars, everything. The gas savings would be enormous--much more than raising the national fuel economy standards. However, the current legislation doesn't help them to achieve this, it hinders them.
What he said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.