GM Inside News Forum banner

General Motors to Bring Amazon Alexa to Millions of Vehicles

3K views 41 replies 21 participants last post by  Neanderthal 
#1 ·
General Motors to Bring Amazon Alexa to Millions of Vehicles
General Motors
September 25, 2019

Integration of Amazon Alexa In-Vehicle Experience Enables Drivers to Get Routing Information, Play Music, Control their Smart Home and More with Their Voice

DETROIT — General Motors is bringing millions of Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac owners the ability to add convenience and productivity to their daily drives through a new in-vehicle Alexa1 experience coming in the first half of 2020. Leveraging embedded available 4G LTE connectivity and GM’s updateable embedded app framework in the vehicle, GM will make Alexa available on model year 2018 and newer cars, trucks and crossovers with compatible infotainment systems2.

GM research shows that many customers prefer to use the same voice services they use in their home in their vehicles. The Alexa voice experience in GM vehicles leverages the Alexa Auto Software Development Kit, which gives customers access to standard Alexa skills and capabilities. This will also enable GM to create custom skills in the future that are relevant to the customer’s vehicle. This collaboration represents the broadest rollout of an embedded Alexa Auto experience to date, and provides a tailored voice experience for Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac drivers with properly equipped vehicles.

“GM’s updateable app framework and vehicle connectivity lets us provide customers with new technologies that enhance the ownership experience, even to customers with vehicles that are already on the road,” said Santiago Chamorro, vice president for Global Connected Services, GM. “Bringing the Alexa experience to our vehicles is an example of how we are listening to our customers’ feedback, and offering them the voice technology of their choice.”

Drivers can enjoy Alexa by using simple voice commands, all while keeping their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel: Check the news, control smart home devices like lights or thermostats, add items to their shopping cart, and access tens of thousands of Alexa skills. Additionally, GM is delivering several categories of Alexa features that expand on the in-vehicle experience, including:

Navigation – Ask Alexa to get directions to a specific address or point of interest, such as a vehicle dealer, or just ask for nearby coffee shops. Alexa seamlessly integrates with compatible, embedded navigation systems in the vehicle or available OnStar Turn-by-Turn navigation using natural language.

Media – Ask Alexa to play a specific song, artist, genre, or station, as well as audiobooks or podcasts. Alexa can fulfill the request by bringing up available streaming services.

Calling – Drivers can ask Alexa to call friends and family using their voice when they pair their phone via Bluetooth and share their contacts with Amazon.

“Customers already love using Alexa at home, and soon they can bring her with them on the go, whether they’re looking for a new car or own a compatible Chevrolet, Buick, GMC or Cadillac vehicle already on the road,” added Ned Curic, VP of Alexa Auto at Amazon. “We’re thrilled to be working with GM to help their customers stay more connected, more entertained, and more productive.”

This integration represents the latest collaboration between GM and Amazon. In 2018, GM launched in-car delivery with Key by Amazon and a series of Connected Car skills for Alexa, available on millions of eligible Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles in select cities. More information about how customers can set up Alexa will be shared closer to launch.

See less See more
#3 ·
Another spy device, 10x more powerful than NonStar. And people will suck this up like free money. I would not have Alexa on my property, period.

#7 ·
There are clearly people who aren't big fans of Alexa and similar devices/services (myself included).

That said, this is a great move for GM. For the people who do use these things and don't care about the potential privacy implications, this will be a huge step in positioning GM as a technology leader. I suspect the fact that this will be made available even in existing vehicles going back to 2018 will also generate a lot of goodwill.

#9 ·
We've had this discussion before so i'll keep it to a minimum...but I'll re-iterate my point from the previous discussion...I don't care if Google/Alexa/Siri is listening...what are they going to hear that can hurt me in any kind of way? Most I get from these assistants is well...assistance, I get a notification before I set off if there's any sort of traffic delay, automatic re-routing in advance, weather alerts....and a daily joke.

#12 · (Edited)
Correct. Toyota introduced Alexa integration with Entune 3.0. 2018 Camry was the first Toyota model to incorporate the feature.

Here is a list of vehicles whose infotainment system has integration with this particular spy device ("Alexa Auto"):

Audi
  • A6 2020+
  • A7 2020+
  • A8 2020
  • e-tron 2019+
  • Q3 2020+
  • Q7 2020+
  • Q8 2020+

Ford/Lincoln
  • C-Max 2016+
  • Ecosport 2018+
  • Edge 2016+
  • Escape 2016+
  • Expedition 2016+
  • Explorer 2016+
  • F-150 2016+
  • F-250 2016+
  • F-350 2016+
  • Fiesta 2016+
  • Flex 2016+
  • Focus 2016+
  • Fusion 2017+
  • Mustang 2016+
  • Ranger 2019+
  • Taurus 2016+
  • Aviator 2020+
  • Continental 2017+
  • Corsair 2020+
  • MKC 2016+
  • MKS 2016+
  • MKT 2016+
  • MKX 2016+
  • MKZ 2017+
  • Nautilus 2019+
  • Navigator 2016+

GM - refer to OP

Toyota/Lexus
  • 4Runner 2020+
  • Avalon 2019+
  • Camry 2018+
  • Corolla 2020+
  • Corolla Hatchback 2019+
  • C-HR 2020+
  • Highlander 2020+
  • Prius 2020+
  • Prius Prime 2020+
  • RAV4 2019+
  • Sequoia 2020+
  • Sienna 2018+
  • Tacoma 2020+
  • Tundra 2020+
  • ES 2018+
  • LC 2018+
  • LS 2018+
  • NX 2018+
  • RC 2018 +
  • RX 2020+
  • UX 2019+

#14 ·
Another tracking device... However, there are already so many tracking devices, microphones, etc. that I no longer care. Plus, there really isn't anything interesting going on with me to track anyway. I just jealous of the people who have issues with it, I assume they have more interesting lives than I, and need to hide what they are doing.

I wonder if the CIA/FBI gets special vehicles without any kinds of OnStar, Alexa, etc.?

#19 ·
personally I have "little use" for any of the internet enabled "assistants" BUT can see the VALUE in them if you have / use them
and HAVING your assistent in the car with you is a bonus I assume it can connect with your alexa calendar/reminders ETC so you could interact while in traffic and the internet connected voice command systems are better / smarter" than a "legacy" built in one would be and I find most voice command systems nearly useless

#20 ·
Orwell would probably be amazed at how easy this is.

Reactions: canadian.bacon
#23 ·
Oh hell no. If they must do this, they have to make it a stand alone option. Not everybody wants computers that spy on them.

Reactions: Citation84
#30 ·
With the 2020 election all about whether we'll be living in an Orwellian America or not, I'm just as concerned as the next person about it. But, I also feel that I could outwit any Alexa in my car based on my experience with one in our home. "Alexa. List the thousands of parts in my car while you contemplate the meaning of life." Either that or I'd bore someone to death listening in while I live my life. Bottom line: This deal between GM and Amazon doesn't worry me. Not yet, anyway.

Reactions: richmond2000
#33 ·
Drivewise® From Allstate
DRIVE DOWN YOUR INSURANCE COSTS.
Allstate gives you the power to lower your insurance costs with Drivewise. With personalized driving feedback that helps make you a safer driver, you could save money for your everyday safe driving. It could even help young drivers develop good driving habits to help keep them safe on the road.

You can also get a discount* off your auto policy just for signing up and remaining active in the program. Then, you can earn cash back** after your first 50 trips—and every six months after that—for your safe driving.

GET AN AUTO QUOTE
Drive with quality coverage on your side. Allstate auto insurance can help you stay protected on the road.

HOW TO EARN
Safe Speeds: Keep speed below 80 mph
Safe Hours: Limit late-night trips
Safe Stops: Limit hard braking
WHAT YOU EARN
3% discount* off your auto policy just for signing up and remaining active in Drivewise
Up to 15% cash back** after your first 50 trips—and every six months after that—for your safe driving
Allstate Rewards® points for completing safe driving challenges
HOW TO SIGN UP
Whether you're an Allstate customer or not, enrolling in Drivewise is simple.
https://www.allstate.com/drive-wise.aspx

Big Brother will protect you. AND GIVE YOU FREE MONEY! FREE MONEY!!:clap::clap:

#37 ·
Battle of the Bots! Girlfight!

Reactions: IROCNROL1
#36 ·
"technology and convenience" today and mandatory tomorrow !

This crap listens to everything you do and I am still amazed how people welcome this into their houses and now cars, where I am most private with what I do and say. You do understand they have people going though these recorded conversation "to improve your experience" , right ?

It's not that I have anything to hide, I have nothing I want you to know.

#40 ·
It's the principle of the matter. If people just blindly or blandly accept being spied upon "because I have nothing to hide," you WILL be spied on and your freedom will be gone before you realize it.

Reactions: Chassis Guy
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.