Former GM Exec Tells What It Took To Improve Quality

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Former GM Exec Tells What It Took To Improve Quality

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,037 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Former GM Exec Tells What It Took To Improve Quality

Road & Track magazine
    June 14, 2019

Bob Lutz Talks Panel Gaps and Why Every Detail Matters

How important gaps and flushness in the real world? The body and its apertures are all just as functional with uneven gaps on either side of the hood or deck. In fact, the Detroit Three, until about 15 years ago, routinely delivered cars and trucks with appalling gaps, often as wide as 8mm on one side, 2mm on the other. As long as there was no chipped paint from the door hitting its frame, it was fine.

I once described one American employer's cars as "looking like a squadron of related panels going down the road in loose formation." But again, does it really matter? Customers may not visit showrooms with gap gauges, but they do unconsciously register the harmony and "one-ness" of a car with gaps so narrow that it looks like a seamless shape. It's a visual manifestation of precision, care, and thus, quality.

Volkswagen, in the eighties, was the first Western producer to out-do the Japanese in assembly precision. I asked then-CEO Ferdinand Pich how they did it: "I got all the production execs in a room and told them they had six weeks to achieve consistent 4mm gaps or they'd all be fired. It was easy!" I humbly suggested this, er, "leadership style" would not be appropriate in the US, and thus, never tried it.

But upon my return to GM In 2001, I found that shaming worked just as well. I had assembled most of the GM products at the proving ground and flanked them with role models from Germany (surprisingly not the best), Japan (better, but second) and Korea (the world's best.) I lead the cluster of proud GM execs from car to car until the enormous, Harley-jacketed Joe Spielman—then president of assembly—literally grabbed me by the collar and said "Enough of this crap! Just show me what you want, and I'll get it for you, guaranteed!" The initial story was that it would take time, and millions for new assembly equipment, which I was ready to approve.

Strangely, within a few months, all GM vehicles were within striking distance of the world's best (and still are today.) And I never saw the request for capital. Years later, I asked Spielman how that had happened. "Well," he explained, "when we discussed it with the lower-level operating supervisors and the skilled-trade hourly folks, they told us they could do it... it's just nobody has ever asked for it before, so they didn't think it mattered."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,037 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Former GM Exec Tells What It Took To Improve Quality

I once described one American employer's cars as "looking like a squadron of related panels going down the road in loose formation."
    Who doesn't love Bob Lutz?

4. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-14-2019),1999 White C5 Coupe (06-14-2019),DequindreToo (06-14-2019),Evo69 (06-14-2019),jzchev28 (06-14-2019),ksss (06-16-2019),Murrow (06-15-2019),NoStopN (06-16-2019),rand49er (06-15-2019),richmond2000 (06-15-2019),Rumpole (06-16-2019),yamahr1 (06-15-2019),Z284ever (06-14-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,055 Times in 655 Posts

"Well," he explained, "when we discussed it with the lower-level operating supervisors and the skilled-trade hourly folks, they told us they could do it... it's just nobody has ever asked for it before, so they didn't think it mattered."
    And Management was at the Lead. The whole 80's "You will drive what We build" attitude of GM.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 634 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post

Shareholders?
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

Hidden Content

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,507 Times in 3,763 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

If GM wants better quality control and better interiors, hire me. I'm down.

I'll gladly give up flying to help bring my former favorite car company in the world back to the top, where it belongs.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

1.4 Liter Turbocharged ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Cadillac ATS AWD V6

Bob needs to be sent to Tesla:

10. The Following User Says Thank You to rougeriver For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (06-14-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Now move to the interiors and fire all the current bean-counter. Just because you saved a few $ on a trim or an engine part doesn't mean it's all good. The repercussions down the road will cost more at the end of the fiscal year.
    I always believed that their engineers are the best in the industry, but they got "killed" by the bureaucracy, cheapness, clueless management and politics.
    Stop the crap with 10 engines paired with 5 transmissions on 15 trim levels ! One 8 speed seems to be working fine for Ram/Challenger. I see Toyota selling 14 year old tech for the same price as the brand new Silverados.

I'll buy another GM in a heartbeat, if you fix them ! Most reliable cars I ever drove - 1991 Buick Roadmaster (~500.000km) and 2008 Chevy Cobalt (165.000km)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to canadian.bacon For This Useful Post:

tnmats (06-17-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 4,021 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    Now move to the interiors and fire all the current bean-counter. Just because you saved a few $ on a trim or an engine part doesn't mean it's all good. The repercussions down the road will cost more at the end of the fiscal year.
    I always believed that their engineers are the best in the industry, but they got "killed" by the bureaucracy, cheapness, clueless management and politics.
    Stop the crap with 10 engines paired with 5 transmissions on 15 trim levels ! One 8 speed seems to be working fine for Ram/Challenger. I see Toyota selling 14 year old tech for the same price as the brand new Silverados.

I'll buy another GM in a heartbeat, if you fix them ! Most reliable cars I ever drove - 1991 Buick Roadmaster (~500.000km) and 2008 Chevy Cobalt (165.000km)
    Bureaucracy gone unchecked. It will kill ANYTHING. Private, government, whatever.

This is a sad tale of a totally disconnected "management team" sitting around twirling on their thumbs Upstairs congratulating each other. "Nobody asked." JHC.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-14-2019),Evo69 (06-14-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Shareholders?
    Exide Batteries?

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,904 Times in 1,890 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post

Sadly, GM could stand to have a few more like him today still.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,597 Times in 3,202 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion
    Reuss has dropped the materials ball.
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 06-14-2019 at 10:14 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

tnmats (06-17-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,440 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Sadly, GM could stand to have a few more like him today still.
    Why? He had some pretty good Ls out there as well. He just managed to put out some great Ws as well. He just made GM rethink what it meant to build a car to a standard. I loved my 2000 Formula but it's quality was an absolute joke and the bad part is GM knew the issues but just didn't care to fix them.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (06-14-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 4,021 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I've worked the line. If I had been putting together stuff that left the line looking like a squadron of related panels going down the road in loose formation I'd have said something to someone.

"Hey boss. These cars look like . Why don't we tighten things up a bit, so at least they're symmetrical?"

This speaks not only to disassociated top management but to all the lower level guys, from bolt-spinners on up the chain of incompetence and apathy.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,621 Times in 1,161 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I've worked the line. If I had been putting together stuff that left the line looking like a squadron of related panels going down the road in loose formation I'd have said something to someone.

"Hey boss. These cars look like . Why don't we tighten things up a bit, so at least they're symmetrical?"

This speaks not only to disassociated top management but to all the lower level guys, from bolt-spinners on up the chain of incompetence and apathy.
    add in LOW morals and a lot of the assemblers are there to get the check and NO FURTHER
    the OLD question do you DRIVE WHAT YOU BUILD?

I wewnt to the Harley Davidson engine plant years ago and up front there was a parking lot for HARLEYS ONLY - right next to the gate in and it WAS FULL of hogs NEW ones OLD ones ETC

23. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (06-15-2019)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post

THis is what happens when you come to work, not to do something, but to collect a paycheck. Having known several people who worked for GM and Chrysler in both line and managerial positions during the 70s and 80s, I heard a lot about "mailing it in

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Z16monte For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-15-2019),Neanderthal (06-15-2019),richmond2000 (06-15-2019)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information