In Ford-Jeep battle for off-road cred, Chevy Blazer sits it out

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In Ford-Jeep battle for off-road cred, Chevy Blazer sits it out

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

In Ford-Jeep battle for off-road cred, Chevy Blazer sits it out

"Pity the poor Chevrolet Blazer".

More at the link...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ad/5478580002/

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,127 Times in 1,622 Posts

Re: In Ford-Jeep battle for off-road cred, Chevy Blazer sits it out

Quote Originally Posted by bongos2u View Post
    "Pity the poor Chevrolet Blazer".

More at the link...

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ad/5478580002/
    Well that is a kick square in the nuts...and deservedly so. But at least we're getting a 10,000hp Electric Hummer so it isn't a complete loss
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

4. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (07-27-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,372 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Just another example of GM not wanting to play in the specialty vehicle segment. They could have avoided all the backlash if they would have chosen a different name besides Blazer.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (07-27-2020),jzchev28 (07-28-2020)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 4,279 Times in 2,765 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by sdotjeezy View Post
    Well that is a kick square in the nuts...and deservedly so. But at least we're getting a 10,000hp Electric Hummer so it isn't a complete loss
    They deserve it too. Fools running the place these daze is how I feel about them. The world really needs a 10,000 hp electric Hummer too
    Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Just another example of GM not wanting to play in the specialty vehicle segment. They could have avoided all the backlash if they would have chosen a different name besides Blazer.
    Exactly, but then the issue of trying to gain ground from a totally new name for something. All this could have been avoided as well if GM would've put forth a little more effort and at least tried to copy the "Trail Rated" systems under the weaker Jeep offerings. But alas it isn't so and with GM never will be.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,336 Times in 733 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

I wonder if the very positive reception of the Bronco will force GM to move the Hummer release date forward? If they can get it out say in summer 2021 that would be only a few months after Bronco hits the streets. Less if Bronco is delayed.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 TruckMan's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,840 Times in 1,372 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sierra Denali 6.2L

Do people seriously think that the EV Hummer is going to be a competitor to the Bronco and Jeep? I have seen nothing to substantiate that. I think the EV Hummer is going to be a Tesla competitor. GM has nothing to compete in this segment. And I doubt they ever will. This whole issue is because of GM's miss-use of the name Blazer. They probably didn't know Ford was working on a hard-core, off-road Bronco and got caught with their pants down reusing the name. And now they look stupid. I don't think they intended it to actually be a hard-core off-road vehicle. Maybe a Grand Cherokee or Cherokee, but not a Wrangler competitor.
    GMI Site Rules: 11. "Trolling", or making posts with the sole intention of creating problems on the forums is obviously against the forum guidelines. We define trolling as a member that appears to have the sole purpose of posting just to spite the majority of the site or cause flame wars in threads they participate in. PLEASE respect differing opinions on the site at all times!

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TruckMan For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-27-2020),Extreme4x4 (07-28-2020),jzchev28 (07-28-2020),richmond2000 (07-28-2020)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TruckMan View Post
    Do people seriously think that the EV Hummer is going to be a competitor to the Bronco and Jeep? I have seen nothing to substantiate that. I think the EV Hummer is going to be a Tesla competitor. GM has nothing to compete in this segment. And I doubt they ever will. This whole issue is because of GM's miss-use of the name Blazer. They probably didn't know Ford was working on a hard-core, off-road Bronco and got caught with their pants down reusing the name. And now they look stupid. I don't think they intended it to actually be a hard-core off-road vehicle. Maybe a Grand Cherokee or Cherokee, but not a Wrangler competitor.
    Agreed...the Hummer is more a CyberTruck competitor than anything.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Agreed...the Hummer is more a CyberTruck competitor than anything.
    If i was GM boss, i would make the Hummer brand come back with Hummer EV and the Colorado based Hummer H3 ( H3T , H3 ) which will be doing exact fit against jeep.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by uvikrama View Post
    If i was GM boss, i would make the Hummer brand come back with Hummer EV and the Colorado based Hummer H3 ( H3T , H3 ) which will be doing exact fit against jeep.
    If I were running the show, I would've led off with a Model Y competitor...get volume at a more attainable cost...put more butts in GM EV seats than the next guy. Watch how much success has w/ the Mach E vs the Hummer EV, and pay attention to what happens after that.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (07-27-2020),Extreme4x4 (07-28-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,658 Times in 5,169 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

I don't see the need for an uproar that GM doesn't have a Wrangler. Where's Ford's Corvette competitor? They've had 50 years. Where is FCA's Suburban? Been waiting longer than 50 years. Where is Lincoln's CT4 competitor? GM is working on a $200k+ luxury vehicle - haven't heard a peep about FCA/Ford entering that segment. GM has a lot of cool vehicles that the domestics don't have. You can even say "why did it take so long for Ford to enter the Wrangler segment?". In this case GM doesn't have a competitor, which sucks as it is a very cool segment, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If GM sees Ford doing well, they'll make a competitor.

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-27-2020),1999 White C5 Coupe (07-27-2020),dannyg (07-27-2020),jzchev28 (07-28-2020),mbukukanyau (07-27-2020),richmond2000 (07-28-2020),TruckMan (07-27-2020),wallus13 (07-27-2020)

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar BORG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 577 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

It is easier to see what you don't have than what you do have.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-27-2020),BlackGTP (07-27-2020),richmond2000 (07-28-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,569 Times in 4,180 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

So, The blazer is making money for Chevrolet quietly and people think Chevrolet is not in the fight? At the end of the day, this is a money fight, and Blazer is a parts bin product selling for high dollars at a high volume.

I would call Chevrolet the clever one here.

The Bronco will not be on sale until 2022, realistically

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-27-2020),Evo69 (08-04-2020),Neanderthal (08-01-2020)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

If I were running the show, I would've led off with a Model Y competitor...get volume at a more attainable cost...put more butts in GM EV seats than the next guy. Watch how much success has w/ the Mach E vs the Hummer EV, and pay attention to what happens after that.
    I agree on that, GM is a looser on the games they founded. The best example was Voltec . They killed before prime time and now toyota started milking. Same is case of EVs : the worst EV a maker can make was Bolt and they did it ( never appealing to anyone but can say we made an EV )

Again for mgmt , its the smartest becuase they just used the existing platform , put a battery and motor and published as new platform (very smart move till tesla showed up model3 and made bolt look like a joke ) . Making Traverse EV was one of the best ideas they left ( people mover, 300 miles range , quick charge ) . The key part of toyota was they kept highlander hybrid for soo long so people trust it. GM failing that trust creation part and just add another brand name to make up the trust name.

The key here is "get right , scale big" .. i assume the same was before too but the pace increased h and barrier of entry decreased . I don't think ever even Cadillac will be able to compete Tesla or even Chevrolet ( least the time Elon is heading Tesla because he is prime sales guy of Tesla and none in GM has that charisma )

Ford is least trying .. Toyota will again do the same like they did with plug-ins ,will get their sure share .. they have more attributes attached to products than GM in their buyers eyes.
    Last edited by uvikrama; 07-27-2020 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,488 Times in 791 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse
    I think GM blew it with the Blazer. It's fine but it's not what it could have been.

I hope GM has an ace up it's sleeve with Hummer but I don't have a great feeling.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,279 Times in 2,765 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I don't see the need for an uproar that GM doesn't have a Wrangler. Where's Ford's Corvette competitor? They've had 50 years. Where is FCA's Suburban? Been waiting longer than 50 years. Where is Lincoln's CT4 competitor? GM is working on a $200k+ luxury vehicle - haven't heard a peep about FCA/Ford entering that segment. GM has a lot of cool vehicles that the domestics don't have. You can even say "why did it take so long for Ford to enter the Wrangler segment?". In this case GM doesn't have a competitor, which sucks as it is a very cool segment, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. If GM sees Ford doing well, they'll make a competitor.
    As much as it pains me to thank you for this post, IT IS TRUE. Also we might be able to say kudos to Ford for at least at this point, having the balls to give it a go. Ford GT such as it was and wasn't. Toyota even let the FJ Criuser, such as it was, die. Something else comes to mind also, back in the day IH had a Travelall. https://www.google.com/search?q=ih+t...hrome&ie=UTF-8

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (07-27-2020),Extreme4x4 (07-29-2020),jzchev28 (07-28-2020),mbukukanyau (07-27-2020),richmond2000 (07-28-2020)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information