Ford Expected To Lead Upcoming Parade Of New Models

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Ford Expected To Lead Upcoming Parade Of New Models

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,016 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Ford Expected To Lead Upcoming Parade Of New Models

Detroit Free Press
    June 13, 2019

Automakers are preparing to launch a slew of new vehicles in the next few years, and Ford and Honda are at the leading edge of that effort.

The average of 40 new model launches per year from 2000-19 for the industry is slated to jump to 62 per year from 2020-23, according to an annual report from Bank of America Merrill Lynch.

For Ford, the product cadence begins "in earnest" with the 2020 Explorer and Escape and continues in 2021 with the new F-150 and Bronco. Both GM and FCA have new models planned, but they will trail the industry average for replacement rates.

Murphy said he does not see GM's situation as serious because the company is preparing to launch its heavy-duty pickups for model year 2020 followed by large SUVs for model year 2021. Beyond that, the company is focused on Cadillac, "with a stated goal to launch a new vehicle every six months through 2021," according to the report.

FCA will focus, not surprisingly, on Jeep, with Grand Cherokee and Grand Wagoneer for model year 2021, Cherokee and Wagoneer for model year 2022 and Compass and Renegade for model year 2023. The report noted, however, limited product plans for Dodge, Chrysler and Fiat, saying "we have to question FCA's longer-term commitment" to those brands, which echoes concerns raised last year when FCA rolled out its five-year plan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,727 Times in 1,016 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: Ford Expected To Lead Upcoming Parade Of New Models

For Ford, the product cadence begins "in earnest" with the 2020 Explorer and Escape and continues in 2021 with the new F-150 and Bronco.
    Interesting that the next Explorer/Escape, Aviator/Corsair are just a few months away. The Bronco could be icing on the cake come early next year.

Ford could be a much different company from a profit standpoint in six months or so. Look at the Wayne, MI assembly plant for instance - it went from producing thousands of money losing Focus units per week to the hugely profitable Ranger pickup. The new Explorer, Aviator, Escape and Corsair could bring huge movement to Ford's bottom line. The new full size SUVs from General Motors could also become a license to print money. And you wonder how and why FCA will keep Dodge and Chrysler going...

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 627 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Interesting that the next Explorer/Escape, Aviator/Corsair are just a few months away. The Bronco could be icing on the cake come early next year.

Ford could be a much different company from a profit standpoint in six months or so. Look at the Wayne, MI assembly plant for instance - it went from producing thousands of money losing Focus units per week to the hugely profitable Ranger pickup. The new Explorer, Aviator, Escape and Corsair could bring huge movement to Ford's bottom line. The new full size SUVs from General Motors could also become a license to print money. And you wonder how and why FCA will keep Dodge and Chrysler going...
    In the Auto Industry, it takes an average of 5 years "In Development" for a New Model. (GM's Camaro was like what 8-9 years).

This is what I have been arguing with those who feel todays "Wall Street Profits" are SO critical. "What is in the Works?" is Tomorrow's Profit.

GM's Wall Street Shuffle of late, could come crashing down in a Real Hurry, Especially, if they are on a "We are a Tech Company" path.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,509 Times in 1,161 Posts

A headline like this used to really pique my interest. New cars! Oh boy! Now it's just endless variations of an RAV4-like body. And trucks.

It's not just that I'm getting old. Some things really were better in the past.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ksr For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (06-13-2019),megeebee (06-13-2019),RedSkyBlackDream (06-13-2019),SP1966 (06-13-2019),tripowergto Jan2003 (06-13-2019),Vagon11 (06-13-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 594 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    . And you wonder how and why FCA will keep Dodge and Chrysler going...

I don't... I believe we are watching the slow death of Chrysler and Dodge... Ram and Jeep are all that will survive.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Ambalanche For This Useful Post:

megeebee (06-13-2019)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    18 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Ambalanche View Post
    I don't... I believe we are watching the slow death of Chrysler and Dodge... Ram and Jeep are all that will survive.
    Chrysler as a brand is basically dead already. The 300 and a minivan. That's it.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LowRider For This Useful Post:

Ambalanche (06-13-2019),megeebee (06-13-2019)

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,494 Times in 3,758 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Quote Originally Posted by ksr View Post
    A headline like this used to really pique my interest. New cars! Oh boy! Now it's just endless variations of an RAV4-like body. And trucks.

It's not just that I'm getting old. Some things really were better in the past.
    Spot on.

This is the first time in my life that there isn't a single new car that I truly want to replace my current car with after my lease ends.

I guess the Model 3, but it's not practical living in an apartment with one. Idk what to get!
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Ambalanche's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,187 Times in 594 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Sonoma Red GMC Sierra SLT

GM has a whole slew of new product coming so I don't know why they say it's going to trail the average...

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Isn't saying "expected to lead on new models" simply another way of saying Ford has the oldest current line up?

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '05 300C - '09 G8

Quote Originally Posted by LowRider View Post
    Chrysler as a brand is basically dead already. The 300 and a minivan. That's it.
    Chrysler will be fine if they turn the brand into it's all electric leader (see Tesla). Dodge will continue to do fine as a niche high performance brand. There you go - FCA American arm sorted out. Jeep and RAM already have their focus/purpose.
    RedSkyBlackDream

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,514 Times in 1,000 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

What happened to fords ev derivative of a four door mustang inspired vehicle..?

Wasnt that supposed ti break cover soon?

Id say chrysler and fiat should be buried in the USA...

Fiat dealers should become abarth, alfa and maserati dealers ...

Dodge has its short term product in line...challenger, durango and charger...add in the pacifica and call it a day ...

Gm has like 20 evs scheduled for introduction and production by 2022...add some cuvs to chevy gmc buick and cadillac ...

Ford inside news says
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RedSkyBlackDream View Post
    Chrysler will be fine if they turn the brand into it's all electric leader (see Tesla). Dodge will continue to do fine as a niche high performance brand. There you go - FCA American arm sorted out. Jeep and RAM already have their focus/purpose.
    I agree that the fix is simple but I would tweak the brands differently.

Replace the Ram brand name with Dodge making Dodge the pickup brand and rebadge the existing Dodge brand as Plymouth. People still think of Ram pickups as Dodge models anyway, and the next gen Challenger being named Barracude is tough to paint as a negative. People love the Challenger, but the Barracuda is an icon in the Mopar world.

Thanks
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    What happened to fords ev derivative of a four door mustang inspired vehicle..?

Wasnt that supposed ti break cover soon?

Id say chrysler and fiat should be buried in the USA...

Fiat dealers should become abarth, alfa and maserati dealers ...

Dodge has its short term product in line...challenger, durango and charger...add in the pacifica and call it a day ...

Gm has like 20 evs scheduled for introduction and production by 2022...add some cuvs to chevy gmc buick and cadillac ...

Ford inside news says
    The thought is it may be shown before the year is over.

19. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements