Entire List Of GM Vehicles With IIHS Top Safety Rating: Cadillac XT6

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Entire List Of GM Vehicles With IIHS Top Safety Rating: Cadillac XT6

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,108 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Entire List Of GM Vehicles With IIHS Top Safety Rating: Cadillac XT6

IIHS
    February 12, 2020

Award applies only to vehicles built after October 2019.

Automotive News
    Only one Detroit 3 vehicle made the list -- the Cadillac XT6, for models built after October 2019.

Sixty-four cars and SUVs qualify for an award from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety under new criteria that prioritize the protection of pedestrians in addition to vehicle occupants.

To qualify for a 2020 Top Safety Pick or Top Safety Pick+ award, vehicles must have good ratings in each of the Institute’s six crashworthiness evaluations. They must also have good or acceptable headlights and available front crash prevention that earns advanced or superior ratings in both vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-pedestrian evaluations.

The “plus” is awarded to models that come exclusively with good or acceptable headlights, making it easier for consumers to find properly equipped vehicles. Of the 64 award winners, 23 qualify for Top Safety Pick+.

No minivans or pickups qualify for either award so far this year. That could change if automakers make midyear production changes and nominate the vehicle for testing.

“The headlight ratings that have been part of our awards criteria in recent years have pushed automakers to pay more attention to this essential equipment,” says IIHS President David Harkey. “However, finding vehicles with the right headlights can be a challenge for consumers. We wanted to reward automakers that have removed this obstacle.”

Six of the “plus” winners — the Genesis G70, Honda Insight, Hyundai Nexo, Lexus NX, Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid and Tesla Model 3 — aren’t sold with anything other than good-rated headlights. A good rating means headlights provide the best balance of visibility and lack of excessive glare for drivers of oncoming vehicles.

Good visibility is key to avoiding crashes in the dark. In the time it takes a driver to react to an obstacle under ideal conditions — 1˝ seconds — a car traveling 55 mph covers about 120 feet. Thus, headlights need to illuminate obstacles well before that. The difference between good-rated headlights and poor ones can be the difference between seeing an obstacle in time to stop and crashing into it.

Small cars
    Honda Insight
    Mazda 3 hatchback
    Mazda 3 sedan
    Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid

Midsize cars
    Mazda 6
    Nissan Maxima
    Subaru Legacy
    Subaru Outback built after October 2019
    Toyota Camry

Midsize luxury cars
    Lexus ES
    Mercedes-Benz C-Class sedan with optional front crash prevention
    Tesla Model 3

Large luxury cars
    Audi A6
    Genesis G70 built after December 2019
    Genesis G80

Small SUVs

Mazda CX-3
    Mazda CX-5 with optional front crash prevention
    Subaru Forester

Midsize luxury SUVs
    Acura RDX
    Cadillac XT6 built after October 2019
    Hyundai Nexo
    Lexus NX
    Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class built after July 2019; with optional front crash prevention

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Entire List Of GM Vehicles With IIHS Top Safety Rating: Cadillac XT6

“The headlight ratings that have been part of our awards criteria in recent years have pushed automakers to pay more attention to this essential equipment,” says IIHS President David Harkey. “However, finding vehicles with the right headlights can be a challenge for consumers. We wanted to reward automakers that have removed this obstacle.”
    Everyone deserves vehicle headlights that provide adequate and safe lighting. We have not paid enough attention to this in the past, but it is so important - especially for younger and older drivers. We have the technology now (LED components), why not fast track installation to every vehicle? Federal specifications and regulations are in need of a serious update for minimum lighting requirements. My neighbor has a new 2019 VW Golf, and the front headlights at night are incredibly poor to say the least.

While I am at it, ALL brake lamps should also be LED. There is just no valid excuse for this item to be optional (or not available ) on vehicles any longer.

One more thing: Congrats to Cadillac on the new XT6. A great looking vehicle, priced right and selling very well. You see them all over here in NYC and Long Island.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (02-13-2020),BlackGTP (02-13-2020),eklauss (02-14-2020)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 712 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Good thing GM is a "Tech Company"

Really, What Cars does GM still make?

Headlights have become forefront at Ford, F Series are Night to Day better on my 2019 than my 2013 was Both XLT's (before After Market HID). 2019 has Auto High Beams as Standard, to go with Pre Collision Braking as Std.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Curious, no Toyotas on the list and they come loaded with the safety stuff.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,635 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    They usually get hit with a poor rating for headlights so it kills the IIHS rating. Kind of funky but it's the way they do it now.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Later this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Everyone deserves vehicle headlights that provide adequate and safe lighting. We have not paid enough attention to this in the past, but it is so important - especially for younger and older drivers. We have the technology now (LED components), why not fast track installation to every vehicle? Federal specifications and regulations are in need of a serious update for minimum lighting requirements. My neighbor has a new 2019 VW Golf, and the front headlights at night are incredibly poor to say the least.

While I am at it, ALL brake lamps should also be LED. There is just no valid excuse for this item to be optional (or not available ) on vehicles any longer.

One more thing: Congrats to Cadillac on the new XT6. A great looking vehicle, priced right and selling very well. You see them all over here in NYC and Long Island.

Everything is a compromise. These fantastic headlights that illuminate the far side of the moon work great as long as you're behind them. They can easily blind oncoming drivers though. Especially if they're out of alignment. There are also a considerable amount of drivers who like to show them off by leaving them on high beam. Wonder if all this is factored into the safety ratings?

I've also noticed an annoying trend lately (on trucks and pickups) where people are installing a row of I assume LED light across the bottom of the grille. Even worse.
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (02-13-2020),BlackGTP (02-13-2020),buildacariwant (02-15-2020),eklauss (02-14-2020),mjd1001 (02-16-2020),Perian (02-13-2020),tnmats (02-25-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,635 Times in 2,618 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Everything is a compromise. These fantastic headlights that illuminate the far side of the moon work great as long as you're behind them. They can easily blind oncoming drivers though. Especially if they're out of alignment. There are also a considerable amount of drivers who like to show them off by leaving them on high beam. Wonder if all this is factored into the safety ratings?

I've also noticed an annoying trend lately (on trucks and pickups) where people are installing a row of I assume LED light across the bottom of the grille. Even worse.
    Those lightbars have been an absolute PITA here. However, the cops have made it a mission to give people tickets who have them on while on the road. It's a $275 moving fine.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-13-2020),buildacariwant (02-15-2020),eklauss (02-14-2020),Extreme4x4 (02-14-2020),gkr778 (02-13-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Especially if they're out of alignment. There are also a considerable amount of drivers who like to show them off by leaving them on high beam. Wonder if all this is factored into the safety ratings?
    Excellent comment.

From the IIHS website:

Nighttime visibility is critical to highway safety. About half of traffic deaths occur either in the dark or at dawn or dusk.

Few vehicles have headlights that do their job well. IIHS evaluations show that the on-road illumination provided by vehicle lights varies widely.

Some new types of lighting technology show promise. High-beam assist increases high-beam use by automatically switching between high beams and low beams, depending on whether other vehicles are present. Curve-adaptive headlights pivot in the direction of travel to improve visibility on curvy roads.

Good headlights shouldn't cause excessive glare. Properly aimed low beams light up the road ahead without temporarily blinding drivers of oncoming vehicles. IIHS headlight ratings take glare into account.

Headlight performance

IIHS ratings show that visibility provided by headlights varies widely.

The Institute released its first headlight ratings in 2016. Out of more than 80 headlight systems available on the 31 model year 2016 midsize cars that were evaluated, only one system received a good rating.

As of March 2019, 14 percent of headlight systems tested on model year 2019 vehicles received a good rating. More than half were rated marginal or poor because of inadequate visibility, excessive glare from low beams for oncoming drivers, or both.

About our headlight evaluations

Why does headlight performance matter? It takes 1.5 seconds for a driver to react to an unexpected event under ideal conditions (Green, 2000). At a speed of 55 mph, a car travels about 120 feet during this brief period. Once the driver applies the brakes, it takes more than 144 feet, on average, to stop at this speed (Jernigan & Kodaman, 2001).

The low beams of many headlight systems with poor ratings don't provide enough light for a driver going 55 mph on a straight road to stop in time after spotting an obstacle in his or her lane. They provide even less illumination on the left side of a straight road and when driving on a curve.

Glare is another common problem. Properly aimed headlights can illuminate the road ahead without getting in other drivers' eyes. It's also possible to have headlights that provide poor visibility and also cause excessive glare.

There are federal regulations on headlights, but headlights that meet the regulations don't necessarily have similar on-road performance. Under the standard, a headlamp is placed on a test rig, and light intensity is measured at different angles relative to the center of the lamp. Measurements are taken for visibility and glare, but the standard permits a large range of intensities and the angles can be adjusted within a relatively large tolerance.

In addition, once the headlights are put on a vehicle, the regulations allow a wide range of mounting heights and widths and don't say how they should be aimed. As a result, two vehicles could be equipped with the same headlights but have a large difference in the distances illuminated.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (02-13-2020),eklauss (02-14-2020),gkr778 (02-13-2020),IROCNROL1 (02-13-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 91fairladyZ's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2007 GMC Acadia SLT2 Silver

Quote Originally Posted by canadian.bacon View Post
    There are two. Camry and Lexus ES.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 91fairladyZ For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (02-13-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member jzchev28's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,370 Times in 1,224 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 Silverado Z71 Blue Topaz
    I was assured on GMI that the Traverse and Enclave were exactly the same as the XT6 so it's puzzling how they didn't get the award as well.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jzchev28 For This Useful Post:

91fairladyZ (02-14-2020),RamJet502 (02-13-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by jzchev28 View Post
    I was assured on GMI that the Traverse and Enclave were exactly the same as the XT6 so it's puzzling how they didn't get the award as well.
    The Cadillac XT6 and the GMC Acadia are made in the same production plant.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,655 Times in 4,272 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Agreed! The new Jeep Wrangler is a notable offender - absolutely blinding headlights. I'm not looking forward to the day when I encounter one with his high beams on and being one of those jerks that won't switch to the low beams.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-14-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

My Nissan Murano and the Ram 1500 Classic have simply abhorrent headlights, to the point they are on the unsafe side for night driving. Add some rain and you are in a world of hurt. One of the reasons we sold the Murano was this. The Ram aint any better, it's a shame they all cheap out like that.
    On the other hand, the '14 Corolla and the '19 Mustang have amazing headlights making driving at night a breeze. I can't afford to pay for the upper trims to get decent headlights, so I make do with that I have.
    I'm glad they are finally picking up on this.

Thanks
    My Ride
    18 Regal GS / 04 Canyon Z71

Just because a car has LED headlights doesn't mean they're any good.

The Corolla comes standard with LED headlights, but two different levels - "base LED" and "high-grade LED". It missed the "Top Safety Pick+" rating because the base LED headlights only received a "Marginal" rating. Even the "high grade LED" only got an "Acceptable" rating, still below a "Good" rating.

https://www.iihs.org/ratings/vehicle...oor-sedan/2020

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BahamaTodd For This Useful Post:

eklauss (02-14-2020),gkr778 (02-13-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,107 Times in 1,075 Posts

Ha, the only thing the XT6 is good at....crashing. good job GM you've made a truly crash worthy vehicle!
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

26. The Following User Says Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (02-16-2020)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast