Electric solar car packs Tesla-beating range with the energy of a kettle

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric solar car packs Tesla-beating range with the energy of a kettle

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,563 Times in 4,087 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

The Helia is going places.

By Mike Brown on November 1, 2019

A new electric car, packed with solar panels, promises to offer double the range of a Tesla Model 3 while using the same amount of energy needed to boil a kettle.

Students from the University of Cambridge have developed the Helia, a four-seater electric vehicle built with the help of Formula 1 experts and a series of suppliers. Xiaofan Zhang, program director for Cambridge University Eco Racing, tells Inverse that the car uses 50 watt-hours per mile. The Tesla Model 3, by comparison, uses around 250 watt-hours per mile. That means where the Model 3 is advertised with a WLTP-tested range of 348 miles per charge, the Helia can reach over 560 miles per charge — and that’s without using the solar cells.

On Friday, the team announced its return from the car’s first international race. The Bridgestone World Solar Challenge saw 13 teams travel the 1,864 miles between Darwin and Adelaide in Australia. Electrical issues stopped the Helia from moving past the race’s first stage, but judges gave it a third-place prize for practicality.

“While the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge didn’t go exactly as we had hoped, it is still a tremendous achievement when you look back at the progress we have made over two years,” Zhang said in a statement. “The conditions this year were particularly challenging and this is the first time this model had competed. Nevertheless, Helia’s performance numbers showed her to be very competitive; it bodes extremely well for future events.”

Cambridge University Eco Racing has an impressive history. The 20-strong team of students was first founded in 2008. It built Affinity, a single-seat solar car that drove from Land’s End to John o’ Groats, the two furthest points on the island of Great Britain.

Just over a decade later, the team’s latest car packs an even more powerful punch. It can travel at 50 mph using just 2.5 kilowatts, around the power of a kettle. It has a top speed of 75 mph, making it suitable for the highway. It has an ultra-lightweight carbon fiber chassis that means the whole car weighs just 1,200 pounds. The Model 3, by comparison, weighs 4,072 pounds.

“It’s incredible to see how electric vehicle technology has developed so far in such a short space of time,” Zhang says. “These innovations have allowed us to build a four-seat car that is much faster, more efficient and practical.”

Although it’s chargeable from a conventional source, the Helia’s most unique feature is its five square meters of solar panels. These silicon solar cells boast 25 percent efficiency. It’s paired with a lithium-ion battery that offers higher energy density than most production cars. The team was able to get even more out of the components thanks to engineering expertise from its partners Formaplex, Bridgestone and Danecca.

While the panels failed to get the car across Australia at the most recent challenge, the team is aiming for future solar car competitions in Europe and beyond.

The project comes at an exciting time for the world of solar cars. Sono Motors is developing the Sion, a five-seater set to enter production next year that offers 158 miles of range, with solar panels adding an extra 21 miles of charge per day. Lightyear is developing the One, a more expensive vehicle that can run for 450 miles and add 7.5 miles per hour to the battery through its solar panels.

https://www.inverse.com/article/6061...-beating-range
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-03-2019),Self Reliance (11-02-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,969 Times in 1,932 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Re: Electric solar car packs Tesla-beating range with the energy of a kettle

How tough is it? Because it looks to me like maybe a good hail storm might be the end of that thing.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    How tough is it? Because it looks to me like maybe a good hail storm might be the end of that thing.
    LOLZ! Yeah, that's just the beginning. Especially if you don't live in Australia and have plentiful sunlight and flat roads.

It weighs 1200 lbs. It looks like it's maybe 50-55" high max. It's not a ute. I'd guess its cargo capacity is, shall we say, a bit limited. And will it boil a kettle, whatever in hell that's supposed to mean.

"Energy of a kettle." I've known a few kettles, and none of them had much energy.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

posaune (11-04-2019),rand49er (11-07-2019),Self Reliance (11-03-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 7,843 Times in 3,946 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Very cool, but a lot of technological hurdles to be able to get a workable/affordable version of this into the consumers hands. Carbon fiber needs to come down in cost, those batteries sound like they are even more expensive than the ones used in current electric cars, etc.. And as 1958carnut said, looks pretty flimsy - I imagine my wife slamming the door and the whole thing falling apart!

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar IROCNROL1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/next year, anyway.

I asked Elon what he thought of this upstart and he said "The Helia say!"

As for myself, I fervently hope this thing makes it. Then I won't have to put up with any more bitching about the poor rear visibility of a Camaro. The Helia I say!
    It sounded pretty good until I actually said it.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (11-04-2019),Mr.Buttons (11-04-2019),Neanderthal (11-04-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,192 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

now imagine that "car" with a SMALL diesel engine 90+ MPG?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to richmond2000 For This Useful Post:

Self Reliance (11-04-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    now imagine that "car" with a SMALL diesel engine 90+ MPG?
    You mean, like, talk about the real world? OMG!!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

IROCNROL1 (11-05-2019)

Walking
    Thanks

That's great. Though obstacles, nothing innovative can grow up or be accepted easily. I 'm looking forward to the road running with all solar cars.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,679 Times in 3,241 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

You know those people that bought the 100 mpg carburetor and killed it off? I believe they will buy this car and we will never hear of it again.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Self Reliance's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    You know those people that bought the 100 mpg carburetor and killed it off? I believe they will buy this car and we will never hear of it again.
    This is why patents need to be either abolished or reformed. You can't buy the patents and prevent people from developing a better technology, this is criminal. No one can own the work of human ingenuity, certainly not if they intend to lock people out of it.
    26 + 6 = 1

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,679 Times in 3,241 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by Self Reliance View Post
    This is why patents need to be either abolished or reformed. You can't buy the patents and prevent people from developing a better technology, this is criminal. No one can own the work of human ingenuity, certainly not if they intend to lock people out of it.
    I think you missed the whole thing... There is no 100 MPG carburetor...

19. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (11-05-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

He misses almost everything.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (11-06-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride

Correct. It's actually GDI.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    You mean, like, talk about the real world? OMG!!
    The real world, you say? Look just below this response and you'll get all of the real world you can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronslatly View Post
    That's great. Though obstacles, nothing innovative can grow up or be accepted easily. I 'm looking forward to the road running with all solar cars.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by IROCNROL1 View Post
    Correct. It's actually GDI.

The real world, you say? Look just below this response and you'll get all of the real world you can handle.
    And now a lot are going away from GDI. Guess it's the GD part, not working out so hot in the long run.

The speaker could be onto something if he's about three, and comes from an extremely long-lived line, expecting to be around for another 100 years or so. Give or take.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    And now a lot are going away from GDI. Guess it's the GD part, not working out so hot in the long run.

The speaker could be onto something if he's about three, and comes from an extremely long-lived line, expecting to be around for another 100 years or so. Give or take.
    Yeppers. Seems as a side effect port injection washes carbon deposits off the backsides of valves. Seems as a side effect, direct injection doesn't. One step forward, one step back.

As for Ronald, I'll try not to be too harsh on him. I'm guessing his parents put him to bed early enough that he doesn't realize Mr. Sol takes the night off too. Or it could be that Ron firmly believes driving should be banned at night because nothing good happens in the dark. Except perhaps baby making, and I doubt that the birds/bees thing has been explained to him either.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information