Detroit News Story on Youngstown/Lordstown

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit News Story on Youngstown/Lordstown

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2008 HHR SS

Detroit News Story on Youngstown/Lordstown

I don't believe for a second that this plant was perfect. They weren't. BUT, they deserve better than this. Their first-time build quality was better than Tesla will be for a while yet. Starved for investment from GM for years, they remained competitive. So sad for these people, some of them still friends after years of hard work together. This story deserves visibility.

The whole community is feeling it.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/bu...ts/1736344001/
    Last edited by Chassis Guy; 07-18-2019 at 05:51 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chassis Guy For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (07-20-2019),Extreme4x4 (07-20-2019)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Re: Detroit News Story on Youngstown/Lordstown

This a shame. I'd hate to see Youngstown turn into another Detroit. We hear about low unemployment (a lie) and the economy doing so well but we don't hear about the pain some towns are still going through.

GM is 100% to blame. It's not 2008 with GM in bankruptcy. GM is making billions and coming out with new models targeted for non US plants, but exclusive US sales. No reason the new VSS-F platform is not being built in Lordstown.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (07-20-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 606 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse
    And GM now has no small car as market share continues to shrink.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to kool1 For This Useful Post:

Coloradokid (07-20-2019)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

If the small car market is shrinking, why did Toyota add a Corolla hybrid. Honda has 4 models of Civic. Looks like other car makers can still make money on small sedans/hatchbacks. I need a car for my kid. A Sonic the only option? I'm not impressed. GM is not getting my money.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

ClassyEldo (07-25-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2014 Chevrolet SS PBM

Why dont we wait and see how the new contract negotiations work out, however things do look very grim indeed.
    "The car's brilliant and ... a great surprise, pleasant surprise for all Corvette lovers everywhere ... a huge shock to our competitors ... because I don't think anybody was expecting something that good. What pleases me the most about it was that ... I can say this is the first car that's come out, that was done since I left.

-- Bob Lutz, former vice chairman and head of global product development at GM

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,120 Times in 3,878 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    If the small car market is shrinking, why did Toyota add a Corolla hybrid. Honda has 4 models of Civic. Looks like other car makers can still make money on small sedans/hatchbacks. I need a car for my kid. A Sonic the only option? I'm not impressed. GM is not getting my money.
    Small cars are low margin but they're gateway drugs to the company. GM has tossed that because when the world is 0-0-0 and half the cars are JohnnyCabs they will be Leading The Way In Chyyynnnaaahhh!!! with their all-lektrik all-JohnnyCab robo cars.

Oh, except they won't be because the commies have all the tech they need and why would they need a bunch of greedy capitalists diluting the purity of their happy collective?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-20-2019),ClassyEldo (07-25-2019),joey (07-21-2019)

Thanks

This a shame. I'd hate to see Youngstown turn into another Detroit. We hear about low unemployment (a lie) and the economy doing so well but we don't hear about the pain some towns are still going through.

GM is 100% to blame. It's not 2008 with GM in bankruptcy. GM is making billions and coming out with new models targeted for non US plants, but exclusive US sales. No reason the new VSS-F platform is not being built in Lordstown.
    Even poor Detroit is getting a new FCA plant and some large supplier plants. In Lordstown, it was GM and nobody else.

Thanks

The thing is GM could have done a lot more for Lordstown. I wish Workhorse well, but I find it inconceivable that such a small company that nobody even heard of can take over one of the largest car plants in the US. You figure a certain CEO making $22 million a year would have figured that out.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 652 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Chassis Guy View Post
    Their first-time build quality was better than Tesla will be for a while yet.
    Not exactly a bragging point. Everyone is building higher quality cars than Tesla, even several Chinese and Indian firms.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

17. The Following User Says Thank You to jesda1 For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (07-21-2019)

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,291 Times in 652 Posts
    My Ride
    E93, STS, MX5, CRV

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    Small cars are low margin but they're gateway drugs to the company. GM has tossed that because when the world is 0-0-0 and half the cars are JohnnyCabs they will be Leading The Way In Chyyynnnaaahhh!!! with their all-lektrik all-JohnnyCab robo cars.

Oh, except they won't be because the commies have all the tech they need and why would they need a bunch of greedy capitalists diluting the purity of their happy collective?
    Micro utes like the Encore, Trax, and Ecosport are rapidly taking the place of Cruze and Sonic.

People want the affordable entry level car but they want to sit up high. GM and Ford are delivering on market demand.
    "The Artist Formerly Known As Jesda"

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,120 Times in 3,878 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post
    Micro utes like the Encore, Trax, and Ecosport are rapidly taking the place of Cruze and Sonic.

People want the affordable entry level car but they want to sit up high. GM and Ford are delivering on market demand.
    I'd like to see the sales numbers. On those you mention plus Corolla, Civic, Elantra, Forte, plus one size down Rio and Accent, Elantra GT, Veloster. If the micro utes' sales data comes near to Cruz and the Ford equivalents, then good for them.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,805 Times in 1,836 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jesda1 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I'd like to see the sales numbers. On those you mention plus Corolla, Civic, Elantra, Forte, plus one size down Rio and Accent, Elantra GT, Veloster. If the micro utes' sales data comes near to Cruz and the Ford equivalents, then good for them.
    I'd like to see it as well. I think the import brands are offering a better alternative to Cruze and Sonic, therefore the micro utes from GM and Ford aren't really going to be up there as a proper alternative. I may be wrong though because the Encore has been Buick's best selling model take it for what it's worth.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Anthony Evans's Avatar
    Thanks

The manufacturing base needed to support manufacturing is gone. You could pay American workers $0 and it will still be cheaper to make things elsewhere. The expertise and skill set is gone, and will be very hard to bring back, and even then it will be all robots.

Shameless plug for ROBO fund. Do your research, but better embrace our manufacturing robotic overlords
    "Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary." —Karl Marx

Thanks
    Thanked 1,883 Times in 995 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 BMW 320i and '72 Nova

Quote Originally Posted by Coloradokid View Post
    The thing is GM could have done a lot more for Lordstown.
    One such action would have been to close or de-allocate Lordstown Assembly earlier than they did. Low capacity utilization has plagued GM's network of vehicle assembly plants for years.
    God and guns keep us strong. That's what this country was founded on. - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Thanks
    Thanked 1,126 Times in 606 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

My daughter was looking at a Cruze (Sonic is already gone in Canada) - now she is thinking Honda or Hyundia.

Young buyers have nothing to buy as an entry level car from GM.

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast