Detroit needs to eliminate "employee discounts for everyone" and adopt permanent ...

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit needs to eliminate "employee discounts for everyone" and adopt permanent ...

Thanks

Detroit needs to eliminate "employee discounts for everyone" and adopt permanent ...

...price cuts.

Can't post the whole or part of the article as per legal notice on the website. Is an interesting read though. You can read the article here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 4,021 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Re: Detroit needs to eliminate "employee discounts for everyone" and adopt permanent ...

GM products have been absurdly overpriced for years. I think the giant is awakening, as a result of the employee pricing concept.
    Another area I wish The General would exert effort is in making dealerships more user-friendly. I was in Arkansas recently, I saw a write-up of one of the up and coming Toyota dealers, Landers I believe. Landers is very big and very savvy. Their new Toyletta dealership has a coffee bar, a shop, and if I recall correctly a playground for kids. Shades of McDonalds + Starbucks + a minimall. Hullo?
    I was recently in a Chev/Pontiac/Buick dealership near Philadelphia, and it was like Sherman, the Wayback Machine!! I thought it was 1980 again. Service and parts looked like a caveman's home (with apologies to Geiko), and the folks there were about as advanced. The floor looked about as boring as a dealership can look.
    And I, an experienced and reasonably savvy buyer, still get that sinking feeling when I pull into a dealership that has three or four white-shirt-mit-tie sharks circling around the front door, usually smoking and stinking up the place.
    Again, indicators show GM may actually have caught on regarding pricing. Better now than post-bankruptcy. If they would take a look at their competitors' standard equipment (abs, side bags, squirrel control: check the new Sonata) and the one item they could and should, today, put in EVERY vehicle they sell--separate temp controls for driver and passenger--they could be competitive again. There is a reason that those beds with separate comfort controls for two sides are selling like hotcakes. GM used to put this on many vehicles. Same with ABS.
    And as a writer recently mentioned in Automotive News, lay off 90% of GM's "styling" department, and beg some of the retirees from the 50s and 60s to come back--this might require a number of reincarnations--on payroll and once again design vehicles that lead the way. I refer specifically to the sad, badly-named, and anonymously-styled LaCrotch, and the more-Camry-than-Camry 2006 Impala. I bet if you swapped logos on the Camry and the 06 Impala, 99% of either Toyota or Chevy customers wouldn't know the difference.
    Actually, given current trends that portend a return to the base and primitive, LaCrotch might be a far more marketable name than the stupid LaCross.
    Realistic pricing: A Beginning. Now send GM management to the Dr. Phil show for a week...
    There is still hope!
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

7.0 Liter LS7 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Kia Soul Turbo/ 2018 CX-5

Re: Detroit needs to eliminate "employee discounts for everyone" and adopt permanent ...

The article and the responses to it make some good points:

1. With the rise of the internet and the way consumers purchase in general...the time for legitimate no-haggle pricing is here. The reason I think Saturn hasn't taken off with it is the lack of products. For year and years..they basically offered ONE single sub compact. It would be very hard to do, but whatever manufacturer can implement a one price, no haggle policy across it's entire line will have a HUGE advantage (providing people think it is legitimate, not like Oldsmobile a few years ago. It needs to be advertised and have no "exceptions").

As for how it is going to work...well you will have negative feedback, and lawsuits, from dealers. But to make it work you have to simply say to each dealer, the manufacturer will give them a set ammount of money for each car they sell, and then let them make thier absurd profit off of body work and other service work, maybe even accessories (a lot of non-enthusiasts would love to be able to buy and have installed aftermarket parts at a dealership).

2.Employee discounts for everyone are a good idea in one respect...it is clearing out old 2005 model year inventory as the 06's hit the lot.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 2,101 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

I think what Gm is discovering that the "no haggle" employee dsicount is making consumers VERY happy.

What would be a good idea, i think is to adopt the Saturn philosophy of no-haggle pricing... BUT to also price the car very VERY competitively in the market. That way... when the time comes to give some money back.. the discounts are just a few hundred $'s... not thousands.... which just looks bad.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 griswold44's Avatar
    Thanks

The "Employee Discounts" better be over by the end of July.

Thanks

Its nice to hear so much support for no-haggle pricing, I hope they do it eventually. I've bought eight new cars in the last seven years, and every time it gets more annoying going through that whole process.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plane
    Gris - Some context here would be helpful. ????
    So what if GM keeps employee pricing on the 2005's for the rest of the year?
    What if all the 2005's are sold out? What then?
    What does GM have to lose?

The only real problem GM will have is what to do with all those Tacoma and Tundra trade-ins.
    too bad it ends august 1st, my local GM big dealership has its lot half full of
    dodges fords but not too many toyotas, YET

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by plane
    Gris - Some context here would be helpful. ????
    So what if GM keeps employee pricing on the 2005's for the rest of the year?
    What if all the 2005's are sold out? What then?
    What does GM have to lose?

The only real problem GM will have is what to do with all those Tacoma and Tundra trade-ins.
    I've got the perfect comeback for that, but I'm going to get flamed by other people if I say it, so I'll just laugh my ass off in front of my computer. Maybe I can get ricers-shaft-big3 to say it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 327
    too bad it ends august 1st, my local GM big dealership has its lot half full of
    dodges fords but not too many toyotas, YET
    Don't get your hopes up.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

heres the perfect lead to the gm employee discount. From the great success of this campaign we are going to lower the prices of our vehicles. There will be no more rebates no more games you pay something like the same price as our employee's. No haggle pricing. Gm makes their cars the right price without rebates with no haggle they will sell. Plus if they do it when new models come out that are excellent they will have a great vehicle at a great price and you can say bye bye toyota. They can say something like that. Our employee discount plan was the introduction of the new prices of our cars.
    Last edited by oachalon; 07-16-2005 at 09:47 PM.

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Oh what a feeling!
    oh go away to your toyo boards- you prob work for a toyo dealer, no?

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC GMinTheDriveway's Avatar
    Thanks

Not too many Toyotas are getting traded in because the sheep that own them are all in 66 month leases and are so far upside down they will be stuck with them for years to come.
    Currently in the driveway:

2005 GMC Canyon Z85 Crewcab
    2002 Saturn SL2
    2000 Saturn SL2
    1969 Chevrolet Camaro 350
    1968 Firebird 400 Coupe
    Non-GM
    2004 BMW Z4 3.0i
    2002 BMW 325Ci convertible

Gone but not forgotten:
    2005 Pontiac GTO Supercharged 487RWHP/490RWTQ

Thanks

Good article. Thats basically what me and nearly everybody else on this board has been saying since the incentives began. Too bad GM didn't get the memo.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar Kennyboy's Avatar
    Thanks

But aren't GM going to lower thier prices next year. Good article through, 30,000 for a Chevy Suburban and jack down the price with incentives and gimmicks. That should help resale values alot.

Thanks

Re: Detroit needs to eliminate "employee discounts for everyone" and adopt permanent

Great article. But eliminating all incentives is about as likely as chucking the current Federal tax code and initiating a flat tax. Ain't gonna happen.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information