Despite new NAFTA, Trump slaps Canada with 10% aluminum tariff

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Despite new NAFTA, Trump slaps Canada with 10% aluminum tariff

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,315 Times in 788 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 F150 XLT FX4 Crew Magma

Despite new NAFTA, Trump slaps Canada with 10% aluminum tariff

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/ne...sa/3313739001/

Washington — Just one month after the replacement for the North American Free Trade Agreement took effect, the Trump administration is re-imposing a 10% tariff on aluminum imports from Canada.

In a proclamation signed Thursday, President Donald Trump said that he is setting aside a previous commitment to exclude Canada and Mexico from tariffs on foreign steel and aluminum he implemented in 2018 under a section of law that allows the president to unilaterally impose tariffs to protect the nation's security.

Trump said he is doing so because Canadian aluminum imports have "increased substantially in the twelve months following my decision to exclude, on a long-term basis, Canada from the tariff" imposed in 2018.

"Imports of non-alloyed unwrought aluminum from Canada during June 2019 through May 2020 increased 87 percent compared to the prior twelve-month period and exceeded the volume of any full calendar year in the previous decade," Trump said in the proclamation.

"Canada was taking advantage of us, as usual," Trump said during a speech in Ohio. "I signed it and imposed because the aluminum business was being decimated by Canada. Very unfair to our jobs and our great aluminum workers."

The 10% tariff on foreign aluminum, along with a 25% tariff on imported steel, were imposed by Trump under a section of federal law — Section 232 of the Trade Expansion Act of 1962 — that allowed him to place levies on foreign steel and aluminum under the guise of protecting the country from a national security threat.

The U.S. Mexico Canada Agreement requires automakers to produce cars with 75% of parts originating from the United States, Canada or Mexico — up from 62.5% — within five years to qualify for duty-free treatment. The U.S. was expected to include Canada and Mexico from steel and aluminum tariffs once the agreement was signed.

Detroit automakers declined to comment, deferring to the lobbying groups in Washington who decried the move to re-impose tariffs on Canadian aluminum by Trump.

“This move will place American Automakers at a competitive disadvantage with our global competitors, while hurting the hundreds of thousands of workers we employ at a time when the industry can least afford it," the American Automotive Policy Council, which lobbies for Ford Motor Co., General Motors Co. and Fiat Chrysler Automobiles NV, said in a statement. "Instead, we should let the USMCA’s groundbreaking steel and aluminum requirements achieve their intended effect, rather than reimposing tariffs on key trading partners.”

Autos Drive America, which lobbies for foreign-owned automakers, added: "New tariffs on aluminum imports from Canada will not aid in (economic) recovery and are not justified on national security grounds.

"We urge the immediate reconsideration of these tariffs so the industry can continue to ramp up production, make the significant adjustments required by the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement and continue to provide competitively priced vehicles to American consumers," the group said.

The administration’s move to re-impose tariffs on aluminum from Canada is "a step in the wrong direction," said the U.S. Chamber of Commerce.

“These tariffs will raise costs for American manufacturers, are opposed by most U.S. aluminum producers, and will draw retaliation against U.S. exports — just as they did before," the Chamber said in a statement. "We urge the administration to reconsider this move."

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Despite new NAFTA, Trump slaps Canada with 10% aluminum tariff

I know this was brought up before, and Welcomed by some.

"More American Jobs" have been Stated, "Good for American Jobs".

Let me ask everyone. "When was the last time You purchased RAW ALUMINUM?" In fact there is currently a Shortage of many Soft Drinks, I searched all over the closest City last week for a particular (American) brand name, sold out locally. Only to find it was Sold Out there also. Stating "Packaging Issue" a Shortage of Aluminum Cans.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    I know this was brought up before, and Welcomed by some.

"More American Jobs" have been Stated, "Good for American Jobs".

Let me ask everyone. "When was the last time You purchased RAW ALUMINUM?" In fact there is currently a Shortage of many Soft Drinks, I searched all over the closest City last week for a particular (American) brand name, sold out locally. Only to find it was Sold Out there also. Stating "Packaging Issue" a Shortage of Aluminum Cans.
    Beer makers are also getting hit. Read an article that was talking about how some beer makers can't find cans. Article says problem is twofold. First, aluminum. Second, pandemic is causing more can use since people are drinking at home instead of from taps at bars.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (08-10-2020),richmond2000 (08-10-2020)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,152 Times in 3,957 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

I am no foreign exchange trade expert, I am wondering, is there a reason Canada can produce this stuff much more cheaply than we can? Or are they playing games?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Ed753 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    CTS-Vagon/11/BD/VetGS/19/white

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    I am no foreign exchange trade expert, I am wondering, is there a reason Canada can produce this stuff much more cheaply than we can? Or are they playing games?
    Aluminum production cost is directly proportional to electricity cost. It is why Alcoa used to build their own power plants. Canada has lots of cheap hydro.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vagon11 For This Useful Post:

InCogKneeToe (08-10-2020),mbukukanyau (08-10-2020),Neanderthal (08-10-2020),richmond2000 (08-10-2020),Ruperts Trooper (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,856 Times in 1,475 Posts

This is stupid...im getting tired of this BS
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sdotjeezy For This Useful Post:

dslay04 (08-10-2020),samesun (08-10-2020)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Vagon11 View Post
    Aluminum production cost is directly proportional to electricity cost. It is why Alcoa used to build their own power plants. Canada has lots of cheap hydro.
    So much Electricity. That Canada sells the US (East Coast) power at Below Wholesale Rates.

No complaints or threats of Tariffs there.

Canada has to Grow a Pair, and just flick the Switch OFF. See if the US has a New Vision of Fair Trade then.

I am sure Grateful I purchased my Washington State Built Aluminum Boat in 2017 before all this BS started.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

this is stupid.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

sdotjeezy (08-10-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (08-10-2020)

Thanks

Higher cost for consumers here we come.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to roadkillz For This Useful Post:

VS Ute 5Litre (08-10-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,001 Times in 4,804 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

What's the point of this? Just let Canada be Canada.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride

There is need to have local aluminum and steel production, Canada is free to squeeze where they can, however, the US Government Has an obligation to look out for US National Interest, especially where defense is related. Is Canada importing from Chainah and adding Value then dumping into the United States?

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    My Ride

How is Canadian Aluminum jeopardizing the United States Defense? Are we secretly planting COVID in Raw Aluminum? Maybe Small Pox's.

It is Alcoa in Trump's Pocket, that has the problem. That and Cheap Hydro Power. Australia is the Largest Producer of Bauxite Ore, therefore should be the Largest Producer of Aluminum, if Shipping means anything to the costs.
    Last edited by InCogKneeToe; 08-10-2020 at 05:09 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InCogKneeToe For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (08-10-2020),Vagon11 (08-10-2020)

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Sad that Trump is going after Canada during a pandemic, especially considering that we are close allies. What I see as the real reason though, is that trump needed to shift focus from his falling poll numbers, especially in red states, and paint us as evil and must be punished. His simple-minded followers eat that stuff up. No worries as Canada’s response made me smile. Trump has made America a laughing stock.

“Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland says Canada will impose dollar-for-dollar tariffs on U.S. metals products after U.S. President Donald Trump announced new tariffs on some Canadian aluminum products yesterday.” -from CBC National

23. The Following User Says Thank You to samesun For This Useful Post:

Vagon11 (08-10-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

How is Canadian Aluminum jeopardizing the United States Defense? Are we secretly planting COVID in Raw Aluminum? Maybe Small Pox's.

It is Alcoa in Trump's Pocket, that has the problem. That and Cheap Hydro Power. Australia is the Largest Producer of Bauxite Ore, therefore should be the Largest Producer of Aluminum, if Shipping means anything to the costs.
    There is a lot of anti American sentiments over there with the Trudeau boy administration. Your trade reps have not been representing Canada well with this Kudlow administration, yet Canada choses the same administration again, so they made their bed over there, no, now they complain when its time to lay on it...

Steven Mnuchin, Larry Kudlow, Pompeo and Trump are New Yorkers man, you send some sisters that think looking cool on CNN is going to win Canada any favors?

Or that little dude with Indian Traditional Garb dancing while Trump is watching on Airforce 1.. its not going down well for Canada for sure...
    Last edited by mbukukanyau; 08-10-2020 at 06:46 PM.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (08-10-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) VS Ute 5Litre's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,551 Times in 1,581 Posts
    My Ride
    MY16 Holden Colorado LS-X Man

Expensive Electricity in Aus mate

Mainly coal power some Hydro and wind/solar thats it
    Who the hell approved this abomination? Hidden Content

I bet it was some dumbarse in Detroit Hidden Content

27. The Following User Says Thank You to VS Ute 5Litre For This Useful Post:

InCogKneeToe (08-10-2020)

28. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information