Dealer Strategist Advises On Stocking Sedan Models - Page 6

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dealer Strategist Advises On Stocking Sedan Models

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Citation84's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

Re: Dealer Strategist Advises On Stocking Sedan Models

Quote Originally Posted by AutoCrazy View Post
    Station wagons, mini-vans, CUVs? I think you will be proven correct.
    Personal luxury coupes, pony cars,

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Citation84's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2005 Saturn ION 1

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    Why then do most of the makers of sedans, especially the smaller ones seem hell bent on that mantra? I tend to think that longer?, lower, faster?,sleeker is part of what did in the Chevy Cruze as per comparison to the first generation.
    Putting stupid, expensive to repair transmissions in entry level cars hasn't helped: Power Shift [Ford] DSG Dart and Fiat, Caliber CVT, Nissan CVT. Great idea for the economy segment. NOT.

Very discouraging as these are the cars most practical for my purposes. At least GM had to good sense to equip the initial Sonic and Cruze with basic sensible transmission, a lot more fit for purpose than using some half baked tech and getting customers to do the bloody beta testing for you.

Why squeeze out that last 10th of a gallon only to have your cutting edge tranny blow up at 60,000 miles.

And people think the Vega is the apex of bad engineering.

Yes, 1958Carnut: GM ruined the Cruze with that full swoop over re-styling.

I was at a customer clinic for the Volt and Cruze and thought the Cruze looked like a million bucks. It still does. Unlike what followed.
    Last edited by Citation84; 10-17-2019 at 12:08 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,850 Times in 4,726 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Quote Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
    A lot of the utility of an ordinary sedan has been edited out for that 4 door sport coupe nonsense. Bad visibility, low stance, rear seat headroom if one slumps [Chrysler could have called the 200 a 4 door coupe and gotten away with the lousy rear seat room] close passenger, coupling, asinine console eating up space.

Additionally though they look like hatchbacks they have none of the usefulness. A big mistake [Like the Leyland/Austin Princess of the 70s].

I have been looking at these CUVs: Trax, Renegade, Fiat 500X and L, Encore. But why ? What I have has 15 cubic ft of trunk room, fold down rear seats, good ride height and entry and exit. I can add rear view camera, have a Garmin for navigation and am getting a new stereo system soon. Maybe I can add cruise.

They can play their games. I won't participate, I think. Starve the beasts.
    Add a Soul to your shopping list and you're ahead of the game!

I was at the local KIA dealer yesterday getting my alignment checked on their new $25,000 Magic Machine. I drove the lot when finished, about a zillion Fortes in dark grey, white, white, grey, grey, grey, white white white, grey grey grey grey grey, white red red red red, white white white grey...

Must've sold most of the utes. Less than adozen Souls, a few Sorentos, NO Tellarudes, smattering of Sportages.
    BTW I went to the KIA site and they advertise $32,000 starting price for the base Tellarude.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,924 Times in 1,366 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

road & track has an article in this months "magazine" about the VW Golf sportwagon compared to the tiguan that is based on the Golf
    and why the sportwagon is DOA
    different look but makes sense
    WE the car driver is NOT the manufacturer's "customer" the DEALER is and they BUY what is easy to sell and Dealers ORDER dull coloured SUVS because they are easy to sell then they PUSH the manufacturer to offer discounts on the easy to sell / well stocked models and voila a "feedback loop" and the stickshift sedan / hatch is history

the article also points out with discounts the Tiguan is CHEAPER to buy then the GOLF same for the Volvo estate VS XC90 SUV and AUDI Avant is 1/3 MORE per month then the SUV equivalent

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Citation84 View Post
    Putting stupid, expensive to repair transmissions in entry level cars hasn't helped: Power Shift [Ford] DSG Dart and Fiat, Caliber CVT, Nissan CVT. Great idea for the economy segment. NOT.

Very discouraging as these are the cars most practical for my purposes. At least GM had to good sense to equip the initial Sonic and Cruze with basic sensible transmission, a lot more fit for purpose than using some half baked tech and getting customers to do the bloody beta testing for you.

Why squeeze out that last 10th of a gallon only to have your cutting edge tranny blow up at 60,000 miles.

And people think the Vega is the apex of bad engineering.

Yes, 1958Carnut: GM ruined the Cruze with that full swoop over re-styling.

I was at a customer clinic for the Volt and Cruze and thought the Cruze looked like a million bucks. It still does. Unlike what followed.
    Is that why when I rented the first Gen Cruze I was so impressed with it vs the 2nd Gen which was blahhhh to me? I thought they changed the engine(s).

Banned
    Thanks

I don't know if it is regulations or designers, or both, but modern sedans have very little utility. Remember when sedans used to fit 6 adults? Now people who need utility are forced to buy crossovers. Road conditions have also worsened, potholes never seem to be fixed and where I live roads get flooded often, so ground clearance have become a necessity.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Self Reliance View Post
    I don't know if it is regulations or designers, or both, but modern sedans have very little utility. Remember when sedans used to fit 6 adults? Now people who need utility are forced to buy crossovers. Road conditions have also worsened, potholes never seem to be fixed and where I live roads get flooded often, so ground clearance have become a necessity.
    I had a 6-passenger 2004 Impala. Since the mandatory coolness of a floor shift/console has changed design, no more 6-passenger sedans. Personally I'd take a column shifter over a pretend-stick-shift any day but cool is cool and trendy is trendy.

Have the potholes gotten worse since The Occupation started?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a manís character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

Self Reliance (10-20-2019)

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I had a 6-passenger 2004 Impala. Since the mandatory coolness of a floor shift/console has changed design, no more 6-passenger sedans. Personally I'd take a column shifter over a pretend-stick-shift any day but cool is cool and trendy is trendy.

Have the potholes gotten worse since The Occupation started?
    Pre-occupation there were no potholes, so I'd say yes.

Thanks
    My Ride

Pre-occupation there were no potholes, so I'd say yes.
    You're going nowhere fast. And yes, there were plenty of potholes, horses broke their legs all the time in them. Try getting over the "occupation." You're free to move anywhere you like.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Banned
    Thanks

You're going nowhere fast. And yes, there were plenty of potholes, horses broke their legs all the time in them. Try getting over the "occupation." You're free to move anywhere you like.
    What are you on about? Of course everyone is free to move anywhere they like.

Chevrolet VOLT
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,854 Times in 2,498 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

There were also a lot of broken wagon wheels before that

Thanks
    My Ride

What are you on about? Of course everyone is free to move anywhere they like.
    Eh? You're confused? You are the one living in occupied territory. Some people just won't be satisfied. As I said elsewhere, you're in past your pay grade. Sit back and try to process for a few days. You'll be glad you did!

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    There were also a lot of broken wagon wheels before that
    Dang! And I HATED that. Wagon wheels ain't cheap. Especially the tubeless variety.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 3,559 Times in 1,910 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisNJ View Post
    Is that why when I rented the first Gen Cruze I was so impressed with it vs the 2nd Gen which was blahhhh to me? I thought they changed the engine(s).
    1st Gen Cruzes are not all created equal.
    They look very good for the price, but I hated the seats in the Eco and thought all of the gassers were gutless.

All of my cars have 6-speed autos. I don't think I miss the extra gears.
    Last edited by eaton53; 10-20-2019 at 05:48 PM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    1st Gen Cruzes are not all created equal.
    They look very good for the price, but I hated the seats in the Eco and thought all of the gassers were gutless.

All of my cars have 6-speed autos. I don't think I miss the extra gears.
    I don't know what drivetrains those rentals had, but I rent cars a lot, and I used to ask for the 1st gen Cruze cause it was so much better than the others. Then the new body style (gen2) came around and I didn't like it as much.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread Information