Dealer Strategist Advises On Stocking Sedan Models - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dealer Strategist Advises On Stocking Sedan Models

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,197 Times in 680 Posts

Re: Dealer Strategist Advises On Stocking Sedan Models

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    The ute trend got rolling with the MY 91 Explorer. It really gathered steam after the recession.
    My uber-trendy cousin switched from Accords to the '91 Explorer and eventually to the Pious line, which she still drives. What's IN has a lot to do with a lot. People want to fit in, be liked, conform. Trendy. Yes we can.

“Five percent of the people think;
    ten percent of the people think they think;
    and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”

― Thomas A. Edison

Try to find a better way to spend your mental dollars.

Yup. This trend has been rolling for a while. Part of it is "trendiness" and once that ball gets rolling, it's rolling. People buy what they want or think they want.

How you feel is not fact-driven data.

Find interior space data for those two vehicles and that will answer your question.

Sissy-mobiles? Great point of argument.
    I didn't know I was on a soap box (I am short) behind a podium (if i was; that would be because I have no pants or underwear on) making a case for an argument by dragging up stats and facts. I just merely expressing how I felt.

Don't be upset at me. I wasn't talking about you and your KIA Soul fetish...I like those.

So here have a winky and calm down before you cause your old heart to fail.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 hydrogen's Avatar
    Thanks

SUVs and CUVs have tremendous value compared to sedans, it's as simple as that. The modern four door sedan will become obsolete when SUVs/CUVs hit the showrooms with well developed, cost effective hybrid, possibly EV, powertrains. The new Rav4 hybrid is definitive proof that the sedan architecture is ancient technology, excluding luxury segments because it's fashion not value and economy.

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    And what makes it worse is that I feel,none of them are any better than the sedans that are being killed off by them.

My mother's new Kona doesn't feel any more roomy or "practical" (God I hate that word)to use than my 92X Aero. Yeah it may sit a little higher (The Kona) to make it easier for old rickety butts to get in and out of,however other than that I don't see a real improvement over a sedan,hatch back, or wagon.

CUV's are in my eyes are sissy-mobiles (HR-V and Pathfinder I'm looking at you two). Then again ease of ingress and egress is probably is what all it takes these days cause it sure ain't there in looks for a lot of these CUVs.
    It's all about that "feel good" thing. And these new SUV and CUV thingies do exactly that for the better part of automotive shoppers these daze(sic). Practical as to carry more "stuff", you sit higher so the better to see you my dear, and a lot have AWD for that peace of mind in inclement weather. They also have a presence out on the road that mere cars cannot project. Don't you ever PO a soccer mom in an SUV, it could get ugly .

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    It's all about that "feel good" thing. And these new SUV and CUV thingies do exactly that for the better part of automotive shoppers these daze(sic). Practical as to carry more "stuff", you sit higher so the better to see you my dear, and a lot have AWD for that peace of mind in inclement weather. They also have a presence out on the road that mere cars cannot project. Don't you ever PO a soccer mom in an SUV, it could get ugly .
    Haha! I love pissing off soccer moms!. Especially those who are more stout than a linebacker,they are some of the worst,but the best to piss off.

Back to the CUV epidemic, Hey to each their own...I get why they are popular, don't care that they are. My wife likes them and buys them I don't and won't.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Buttons For This Useful Post:

LuxuryLover (10-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Ed753 View Post
    How much you pay for that gem?
    $27K... it has every option except for massaging seats.
    A 5-year/40K mile (the wife drives 7K miles a year) warranty was $1700.

Warranty is Ally (former GMAC) that covers all non-wear items.
    I bought the car at a Dodge dealer and the warranty at the Cadillac dealer that services it.
    Last edited by eaton53; 10-06-2019 at 11:52 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 4,672 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I didn't know I was on a soap box (I am short) behind a podium (if i was; that would be because I have no pants or underwear on) making a case for an argument by dragging up stats and facts. I just merely expressing how I felt.

Don't be upset at me. I wasn't talking about you and your KIA Soul fetish...I like those.

So here have a winky and calm down before you cause your old heart to fail.
    I said nussink about a soap box. Maybe you're thinking of the Soap Box Derby?

My point was who gives a flip about what other people drive? If the UTE, or PUT, or coupe, or Tesla, or Lexus, or Cadillac, or ________ (fill in blank) trend upsets you, put down the bottle, put down the joint, get into a support or therapy group, and try to adjust to the world as it is.

I find your old people jokes hilarious. When people have nothing else to say they say that.

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
    SUVs and CUVs have tremendous value compared to sedans, it's as simple as that. The modern four door sedan will become obsolete when SUVs/CUVs hit the showrooms with well developed, cost effective hybrid, possibly EV, powertrains. The new Rav4 hybrid is definitive proof that the sedan architecture is ancient technology, excluding luxury segments because it's fashion not value and economy.
    There will always be people who want sedans. Sedans fit their needs, they're not trendies like half of UTE buyers are IMO. Why must a UTE have a hybrid or 'lektrik drivetrain to make a sedan "obsolete"? UTEs have been rolling for 30 years or so, they're winning the sales wars.

What happens if gas spikes to five bucks a gallon all of a sudden?

Speaking of trendies, someone on here mentioned a few associates who were on the Tesla3 bandwagon. He asked one why he bought it, "Oh because everyone else is getting one," or something like that. So go...The Days of our Lives.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

LuxuryLover (10-08-2019),richmond2000 (10-07-2019)

Thanks

I said nussink about a soap box. Maybe you're thinking of the Soap Box Derby?

My point was who gives a flip about what other people drive? If the UTE, or PUT, or coupe, or Tesla, or Lexus, or Cadillac, or ________ (fill in blank) trend upsets you, put down the bottle, put down the joint, get into a support or therapy group, and try to adjust to the world as it is.

I find your old people jokes hilarious. When people have nothing else to say they say that.

There will always be people who want sedans. Sedans fit their needs, they're not trendies like half of UTE buyers are IMO. Why must a UTE have a hybrid or 'lektrik drivetrain to make a sedan "obsolete"? UTEs have been rolling for 30 years or so, they're winning the sales wars.

Speaking of trendies, someone on here mentioned a few associates who were on the Tesla3 bandwagon. He asked one why he bought it, "Oh because everyone else is getting one," or something like that. So go...The Days of our Lives.
    My you're full of the Grumps...Look I don't care what other people drive either,but when it affects what I want to drive then I have a bit of a problem.

Why are we going back and forth about this?. You're starting to get petty and snippy for no real good reason.

If every sedan is replaced by something as ugly as the C-HR I don't care I'm not in the market and won't be.
    Last edited by Mr.Buttons; 10-06-2019 at 05:32 PM.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,749 Times in 4,672 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

My you're full of the Grumps...Look I don't care what other people drive either,but when it affects what I want to drive then I have a bit of a problem.

Why are we going back and forth about this?. You're starting to get petty and snippy for no real good reason.

If every sedan is replaced by something as ugly as the C-HR I don't care I'm not in the market and won't be.
    Pot, meet kettle. I'm done.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man’s character, give him power.--Unattributed

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."--Benjamin Franklin

"The freedom of Speech may be taken away, and, dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep, to the Slaughter."--George Washington

Hidden Content

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (10-07-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Chevrolet and Dodge

My two local Chevrolet dealerships have 603 new Chevrolets in stock. A total of 46 of those are cars. 557 (92+%) are trucks/SUVs/CUVs. One of the dealerships is 97% "non-cars". That one has 1 frickin' new 'Malibu on the whole lot. One!

121 of the 603 total are new Equinoxes while only 10 are new Malibus! There are total of 255 new Silverado 1500s to be had in my mini-metro area.

It is nuts IMO. The Asians will get all the car sales.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AutoCrazy For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (10-07-2019),LuxuryLover (10-08-2019)

Thanks

Pot, meet kettle. I'm done.
    Good.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I don't know if it'll matter. It's not like the old days where SUVs got less than 20 mpg.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Hidden Content

18. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

posaune (10-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,151 Times in 648 Posts
    My Ride
    2015 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I don't know if it'll matter. It's not like the old days where SUVs got less than 20 mpg.
    True, but any technology that increases crossover MPG will increase sedan/hatch more esp. at highway speeds. You can’t get around the fact that SUVs are heavy with lousy aero. That means worse handling, worse acceleration, worse braking, worse MPG.

For example the Rav4 hybrid is 41/38...terrific for a rolling brick...but the Camry hybrid is higher at 51/53. Highway is almost 40% better.

https://www.toyota.com/camryhybrid/

But hey its your money and obviously many many people prefer SUVs!
    Last edited by dannyg; 10-07-2019 at 07:46 AM.
    Current ride: 2015 Chevy Sonic 1.8L 5sp manual sedan
    Previous ride: 1998 Subaru Legacy Wagon AWD 2.2L 5sp manual
    Next ride, pre-pandemic: Maybe a 2021 2.0T CT4, weekend car, keep the Sonic as DD
    Next ride, post-pandemic: Keep driving the Sonic!

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dannyg For This Useful Post:

gkr778 (10-07-2019),richmond2000 (10-07-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by dannyg View Post
    But hey its your money and obviously many many people prefer SUVs!
    People are already paying way more for them than sedans. If they get decent mpg, it may continue.
    A recession would be a different story. People may not buy something different, they may just stop buying.

We're already seeing the beginnings of it... sales are slowing.
    Some brands may disappear. FIAT, they're done. Americans don't want Italian cars even if they're good, Alfa.
    But the one not many mention that's really circling the drain is Infiniti. It is going south real quick.
    Last edited by eaton53; 10-07-2019 at 08:17 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Hidden Content

22. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

LuxuryLover (10-08-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

I really don't care what other people drive, not even Prii fans. With the exception of the now defunct New Beetle. I always hated it for some reason. They took Uncle Adolf's original brilliant idea (his only one, it seems) and modernized, watered down, and sissified it. Yes, I said SISSIFIED it! What REAL MAN (such as myself) would drive a car that's accessorized with eyelashes on the headlights and a flower vase on the dash? That's what I thought.

Anyway, I'm through venting now. Which brings up another sore point that I won't get into. Much. I firmly believe the steam engine automobile was victimized by a collaboration of Dinosaur Juice and Electrical advocates way back in ought whatever. Sorta like poor old Preston Tucker's visionary vehicle.
    Last edited by IROCNROL1; 10-07-2019 at 08:52 AM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (10-07-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen View Post
    I disagree with you, and I hope you're wrong.
    For me, once the big sedans went away in the 90's, I went with trucks, as a lot did. Mostly to get big, V8, RWD.
    To me, anything FWD is just a dressed up minivan. I don't even like AWD, but RWD based AWD is still better than FWD based AWD, to me.
    I now find myself very happy indeed driving the 300 V8 RWD. I am also happy to see some manuf. going to RWD based vehicles (Ford Explorer). My whole family drives RWD based vehicles, 4 of them V8's.
    There is something about enjoying the drive to me, and I do.
    I had a theory a couple years ago, that after a lot of manuf. started dropping sedans, that if FCA kept the triplets going (contract to 2021), they would see an uptick in sales, and so far it looks to be happening, even with an old design. The latest figures I can get showed the Charger had some of best few months in the past 5 years.
    Long live the V8 RWD sedan. My favorite.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ChrisNJ For This Useful Post:

LuxuryLover (10-09-2019)

27. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information