Day 1: Rebirth At Volkswagen

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Day 1: Rebirth At Volkswagen

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,037 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Day 1: Rebirth At Volkswagen

The New York Times
    June 5, 2019

Volkswagen is sorry. But it’s not exactly saying so in a new ad campaign.

The world’s largest automaker has been on something of an apology tour since 2015, when it was publicly accused of using illegal software in its diesel cars to dupe pollution tests. The company was slammed with criminal charges, lawsuits and billions of dollars in government fines.

Volkswagen Group was sorry again in March when its chief executive officer, Herbert Diess, posted an apology on LinkedIn after making remarks that echoed the Nazi-era slogan “Arbeit macht frei.” The expression, which means “Work sets you free,” appeared on the gates of Auschwitz and other concentration camps.

With the new marketing push, the company wants to move on from its self-inflicted wounds.

“We’ve offered thousands of apologies,” said Scott Keogh, who became chief executive of Volkswagen’s American unit in November. “For us, this wasn’t about the apology — we’ve been doing that. This is the reassessment of the brand, of the company, and how we want to move forward.”

In the print and video ads, released in the United States starting on Wednesday, Volkswagen nods to the scandal before shifting focus to its coming line of electric vehicles and other projects. Communication experts said the company might have a hard time bringing skeptics on board as it tries to pull off this U-turn.

“It is difficult for Volkswagen to run advertising on the environmental front, because that’s exactly where they got into trouble,” said Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Northwestern University.

In one of the new commercials, snippets of news broadcasts about the scandal are followed by the strains of Simon and Garfunkel’s “The Sounds of Silence” and the appearance of a Volkswagen employee, swathed in shadow, who is meant to represent the company’s “soul-searching,” Mr. Keogh said. Eventually, a glowing Volkswagen I.D. Buzz, an electric minivan planned for production in 2022, cuts through the gloom. The video ends with these words: “In the darkness, we found the light.”

The “Rebirth” campaign was designed by the agency Johannes Leonardo, which counts Adidas and Google among its clients. The commercials will run a few weeks before giving way to a series of ads meant to hammer home the notion that a company recently caught cheating is now embracing environmentalism and setting aside what it calls “self-interest.”

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 1,186 Times in 639 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Cadillac XT5 - 16 Traverse

Re: Day 1: Rebirth At Volkswagen

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    I have always admired VW marketing (and VW products)....
    Good marketing yes - don't care for any of their products though.

Poor reliability is mostly what I think about when I think VW.

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,783 Times in 1,037 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Quote Originally Posted by kool1 View Post
    Poor reliability is mostly what I think about when I think VW.
    Jaguar and VW do not have the best reputations for reliability, this is true. However, each has made great strides and each offers one of the best warranties in the business. My Jaguar comes with a 5 year, 60,000 mileage package that includes bumper to bumper coverage, roadside assistance and complete and free maintenance (yes - for all five years). The VW plan goes 6 years or 72,000 miles and is also bumper to bumper (no maintenance however).

I have two years in my Jaguar F-Type with not one single problem.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

damnitgmi (06-05-2019),richmond2000 (06-05-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Opel Corsa GSI

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Jaguar and VW do not have the best reputations for reliability, this is true. However, each has made great strides and each offers one of the best warranties in the business. My Jaguar comes with a 5 year, 60,000 mileage package that includes bumper to bumper coverage, roadside assistance and complete and free maintenance (yes - for all five years). The VW plan goes 6 years or 72,000 miles and is also bumper to bumper (no maintenance however).

I have two years in my Jaguar F-Type with not one single problem.
    VW has not the best reputations but they are not that bad. It can't be only marketing why the sell such amount of cars worldwide. They are doing something right that others don't. Still I don't like the brand but I respect them for their success.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

When I think VW I think electrical gremlins and bad ignition coils like bad onions in the grocery store - they spread.

I'd have had an Audi in my garage years ago if they weren't garbage after the warranty. Or heck even during the warranty.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fastbal1 For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (06-05-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,790 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    When I think VW I think electrical gremlins and bad ignition coils like bad onions in the grocery store - they spread.

I'd have had an Audi in my garage years ago if they weren't garbage after the warranty. Or heck even during the warranty.
    When did any manufacturer last use ignition coils? As I recall, they were all capable of failure regardless of brand - but cheap/easy to replace.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Might be a cross pond difference in the language, but they still use ignition coils. Coil on plug is still an ignition coil.
    Last edited by SVT74; 06-09-2019 at 08:27 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to SVT74 For This Useful Post:

fastbal1 (06-08-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,122 Times in 1,708 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

I think they have a really freakin' long warranty.

Co-worker bought an Atlas because it:
    1) Had ample space.
    2. Freakin' long warranty.

I'll take "Not paying for 72 months" over "We're Toyota any we don't break, but you're paying after 36 months if it does."
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ruperts Trooper View Post
    When did any manufacturer last use ignition coils? As I recall, they were all capable of failure regardless of brand - but cheap/easy to replace.
    The things that replaced the distributor cap/rotor. Theres an ignition coil on each spark plug on modern cars. Not sure what you call them in England but they’re ignition coils here.

And the ones in my 2009 Honda Accord V6 still function perfectly at 160,000 miles. In fact I most cars they tend to last 150k+ miles. Except for VWs. I’ve seen em need a tow at 50,000 miles and have a 3 week wait from VW for them.

And some can be $200.00/each. So no they ain’t cheap neither.

Chevrolet VOLT Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,433 Times in 2,248 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    I think they have a really freakin' long warranty.

Co-worker bought an Atlas because it:
    1) Had ample space.
    2. Freakin' long warranty.

I'll take "Not paying for 72 months" over "We're Toyota any we don't break, but you're paying after 36 months if it does."
    The problem with a long warranty is that some things that should be premature failure become wear and tear items. Years ago I had a service manager tell me that my 18 month old Ford had a Power steering leak and that the hose was perished so I had to pay, it was clearly leaking from a bad swage joint. I dread what would happen if this was found five years in on a seven year warranty.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,790 Posts
    My Ride
    VW Touareg 3.0 V6 TDI

Quote Originally Posted by fastbal1 View Post
    The things that replaced the distributor cap/rotor. Theres an ignition coil on each spark plug on modern cars. Not sure what you call them in England but they’re ignition coils here.

And the ones in my 2009 Honda Accord V6 still function perfectly at 160,000 miles. In fact I most cars they tend to last 150k+ miles. Except for VWs. I’ve seen em need a tow at 50,000 miles and have a 3 week wait from VW for them.

And some can be $200.00/each. So no they ain’t cheap neither.
    Ah - you include coil packs, GM Opel/Vauxhall ones aren't known for longevity either.

17. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information