Cruze Plant Fallout: Falcon Transport Drivers Cease Driving Immediately After Closure

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruze Plant Fallout: Falcon Transport Drivers Cease Driving Immediately After Closure

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,501 Times in 1,088 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

Cruze Plant Fallout: Falcon Transport Drivers Cease Driving Immediately After Closure

Falcon Transport Drivers Told To Cease Driving Immediately After Apparent Closure
    FreightWaves.com
    April 29, 2019
    benzinga.com

Truck drivers for the flatbed truckload carrier, Falcon Transport of Youngstown, Ohio, said they received emails late April 27 stating the company was shuttering operations effective immediately.
    The carrier has 723 trucks and nearly 585 drivers, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration's SAFER system.
    Falcon Transport had significant exposure in the automotive sector, with General Motors being a primary account. Last December, General Motors announced that it would cease production at its Lordstown, Ohio, plant, a major client for Falcon Transport, according to news reports at the time. The plant stopped production of the Chevy Cruze in late March.
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE FOR FULL DETAILS

Last edited by nadepalma; 05-08-2019 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Reformatted; moved to newsticker

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,504 Times in 996 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Re: trucking company closed due to CRUZE going out of production

Saddened by all those affected by company closing.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks
    Thanked 2,958 Times in 1,627 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Simple lesson here...
    Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

There's a shortage of drivers.
    They won't have trouble getting work and may even be able to snag a nice signing bonus.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (04-30-2019),gkr778 (05-02-2019),Greg.Botts (04-30-2019),jzchev28 (04-30-2019),Neanderthal (04-30-2019),richmond2000 (04-30-2019),TruckMan (05-01-2019)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC Greg.Botts's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Cadillac CTS; 2012 Impala

Quote Originally Posted by eaton53 View Post
    Simple lesson here...
    Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.

There's a shortage of drivers.
    They won't have trouble getting work and may even be able to snag a nice signing bonus.
    very poor business decision

3.0 Liter SIDI V6 CMiatso DaBang's Avatar
    Thanks
    Not even that.. If those drivers drove any compact other than the Cruze in a daily.. And I said COMPACT.. Then they may have put themselves out of a job. The Cruze was an excellent compact car. there was no reason to choose a Civic or, for Godsake, a Corolla over it. It literally would be like working at McDonald's and everyday for lunch U run across the parking lot and buy a Whopper or Arby's. Seriously.. As a driver for a company that depended on the Cruze to the degree that if the Cruze died I'm lookin for work.. Everybody I knew would be at a Chevy dealership when it came time to buy a compact for the kid or whoever. Such is America.. We'd rather BS ourselves with nonsense about $1000 cheaper Hyundai we bought with unemployment money because we got laid off at the truck company that transported Cruze or Focuses. Smdh
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears. Hidden Content

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CMiatso DaBang For This Useful Post:

germeezy1 (05-02-2019),Lowboy (04-30-2019),mbukukanyau (04-30-2019),orville (04-30-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by CMiatso DaBang View Post
    The Cruze was an excellent compact car. there was no reason to choose a Civic or, for Godsake, a Corolla over it.
    The Gen 1 Diesel is much better than either.
    It's got a nice interior, is quiet (lots of sound deadening), rides well and gets mileage a Civic or Corolla can't touch.
    Plus it's not a gutless gas eco-box. It's got torque.
    Last edited by eaton53; 04-30-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

11. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

Lowboy (04-30-2019)

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 620 Posts

The Gen 1 Diesel is much better than either.
    It's got a nice interior, is quiet (lots of sound deadening), rides well and gets mileage a Civic or Corolla can't touch.
    Plus it's not a gutless gas eco-box. It's got torque.
    Just lacks Heat. Kind of important in Ohio.

And, to the belief that these Drivers, should be Driving Cruze's in their Everyday Life. Well Toyota is Canada's #1 Vehicle Manufacturer now.

So much for GM being #1 (Retail Sales) for Canada then.

From Oshawa
    OSHAWA, Ontario (January 3, 2019) — Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac dealers delivered 288,310 total sales for the full year of 2018 including 214,668 retail sales and 73,642 fleet sales, again making GM Canada the market leader for retail sales in Canada for 2018. Total sales for December 2018 were 13,855 vehicles including 10,691 retail and 3,164 fleet deliveries. https://media.gm.ca/media/ca/en/gm/n...103_Sales.html

Thanks
    Thanked 3,967 Times in 2,288 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Not even that.. If those drivers drove any compact other than the Cruze in a daily.. And I said COMPACT.. Then they may have put themselves out of a job. The Cruze was an excellent compact car. there was no reason to choose a Civic or, for Godsake, a Corolla over it. It literally would be like working at McDonald's and everyday for lunch U run across the parking lot and buy a Whopper or Arby's. Seriously.. As a driver for a company that depended on the Cruze to the degree that if the Cruze died I'm lookin for work.. Everybody I knew would be at a Chevy dealership when it came time to buy a compact for the kid or whoever. Such is America.. We'd rather BS ourselves with nonsense about $1000 cheaper Hyundai we bought with unemployment money because we got laid off at the truck company that transported Cruze or Focuses. Smdh
    Have drove a new generation Civic? I agree about all the others though. Civic and Cruze were at the top of the pack.

I'd also venture that many of these truck drivers drove trucks knowing what I know about the trucking industry. Either that or a sports car.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

Neanderthal (04-30-2019),richmond2000 (04-30-2019),ryannel2003 (05-02-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Quote Originally Posted by InCogKneeToe View Post
    Cruze Diesel doesn't have heat??
    It was chilly out here in Podunk today...
    Heat was coming out of the vents and the butt warmers (std. on the Diesel, which was the top trim on the Cruze).
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Have drove a new generation Civic? I agree about all the others though. Civic and Cruze were at the top of the pack.

I'd also venture that many of these truck drivers drove trucks knowing what I know about the trucking industry. Either that or a sports car.

Actually yeah. My ex gf's Bro had a red 2011 Cruse Rs (part of the reason my daughter wanted the black one she has) he loved the car, but wanted a hatch.. But ended up with a 2017 Civic hatch Sport cvt because when he bought the new Cruze hatch RS was nowhere to be found.. .. He began to hate it.. Because he said the gears always seemed to be fishing.. I drove it a few times and pushed it manually.. He, being a millenial, said it was too much work and ended up trading it in on a used Colorado.

As to the truck drivers... No. I was saying them or their family and friends
    My current crop is 2016 CTSV Fully loaded, 2016 Corvette Z06 3LT fully loaded, 2015 GMC Yukon SLT Fully loaded, 2014 Impala LTZ, fully loaded, 2011 Chevy Cruze (kid's) LTZ, fully loaded, 1966 Chevy Impala SS 396 4spd Muncie 3.73 gears. Hidden Content

6.0 Liter L76 V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 620 Posts

Cruze Diesel doesn't have heat??
    It was chilly out here in Podunk today...
    Heat was coming out of the vents and the butt warmers (std. on the Diesel, which was the top trim on the Cruze).
    Idling, they Don't produce any heat. Won't even defrost the windshield with 2 remote start cycles @ -20F.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Actually yeah. My ex gf's Bro had a red 2011 Cruse Rs (part of the reason my daughter wanted the black one she has) he loved the car, but wanted a hatch.. But ended up with a 2017 Civic hatch Sport cvt because when he bought the new Cruze hatch RS was nowhere to be found.. .. He began to hate it.. Because he said the gears always seemed to be fishing.. I drove it a few times and pushed it manually.. He, being a millenial, said it was too much work and ended up trading it in on a used Colorado.

As to the truck drivers... No. I was saying them or their family and friends
    A CVT that was always fishing for gears?? Sounds like someone doesn't understand cars too much.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2016 Camaro 1LT V6 M6

Idling, they Don't produce any heat. Won't even defrost the windshield with 2 remote start cycles @ -20F.
    Not many diesels will. They dont build up heat idling like gas engines. That's diesel 101.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to bballr4567 For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (04-30-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,811 Times in 3,723 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

I guess you're trying to say if you transport Cruzs you should drive a Cruz. That's ridiculous, and the sales generated by 500-odd drivers would have absolutely zero effect on overall Cruz sales over the years. Blaming the transport drivers for a decision made in Detroit is getting pretty far out there.

And if you work at McDonald's and eat at Burger King something's probably wrong with your taste buds.

I worked at a Ford factory and drove a Honda. The parking lot had every sort of vehicle parked in it, it was not all Fords all the time.

And, to the belief that these Drivers, should be Driving Cruze's in their Everyday Life. Well Toyota is Canada's #1 Vehicle Manufacturer now.

So much for GM being #1 (Retail Sales) for Canada then.

From Oshawa
    A CVT that was always fishing for gears?? Sounds like someone doesn't understand cars too much.
    I drove several Civic CVTs and the trans was never an issue. If your right foot spasms a lot perhaps there could be a problem. Otherwise, no worries.

Cars are for driving, not idling in the driveway.

If you must sit inside, get a plug-in engine heater. Easy peezey.

Not many diesels will. They dont build up heat idling like gas engines. That's diesel 101.
    Uh huh. Start car. Put in gear. Drive.

Though I don't recall any heat issues with my '99 Golf TDi.
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 04-30-2019 at 11:19 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

Life is hard; it’s harder if you’re stupid. John Wayne

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    I guess you're trying to say if you transport Cruzs you should drive a Cruz. That's ridiculous, and the sales generated by 500-odd drivers would have absolutely zero effect on overall Cruz sales over the years. Blaming the transport drivers for a decision made in Detroit is getting pretty far out there.

And if you work at McDonald's and eat at Burger King something's probably wrong with your taste buds.

I worked at a Ford factory and drove a Honda. The parking lot had every sort of vehicle parked in it, it was not all Fords all the time.
    No.. That's not at all what I was saying

23. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information