Commentary: GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well; minivan back in the works?!

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Commentary: GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well; minivan back in the works?!

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 898 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Commentary: GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well; minivan back in the works?!

GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well
    September 24, 2010
    RICK KRANZ

With bankruptcy in the rearview mirror, General Motors Co. has the pedal to the metal, developing several new vehicle programs.

In case you missed it, in the past seven weeks GM executives have revealed three new vehicles that have gotten the green light.

In early August, then-CEO Ed Whitacre announced that a Cadillac luxury sedan is planned.

The Cadillac will be a rear-drive, low-volume model. The media is reporting an expected six-figure price tag, possibly around $130,000 -- a Mercedes-Benz S-class, BMW 7-series competitor. The vehicle is aimed to continue Cadillac’s momentum in the United States, plus create buzz and credibility in Europe and China.

Additionally, Whitacre said a minivan has been approved. No details were given.

Sources tell me the minivan is about the size of the Chrysler Town & Country. This time GM has the right formula, they say. Past GM minivans were compromise vehicles, sized to appeal to North American and European buyers. They appealed to few buyers.

Presumably, the minivan will be sold by Chevrolet and Buick.

A few days before Whitacre’s comments, word came that GM is working on a new pickup being developed by the automaker’s subsidiary in Brazil.

Karl Stracke, vice president of global vehicle engineering, told Automotive News’ editors and reporters that it is a mid-sized pickup. The vehicle will be sold outside of North America.

MORE AT: http://www.autonews.com/article/2010...#ixzz10lDB0yqG
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,342 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Re: Commentary: GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well; minivan back in the work

Chevrolet...AND Buick?

Hmmmm...something makes me doubt the Buick part of that.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Sierra Dbl Cab Cardinal Red

Re: Commentary: GM’s new-product pipeline is alive and well; minivan back in the work

Sorry, but shouldn't the "mini-van" go to GMC and not Buick? Also, where's a replacement for the Savanna/Express, aren't their designs like 10+ years old (I believe the hardware under the hood has been updated)? I hope GM just blows us away with the amount of new product. Lord knows the past few auto shows have been snoozers for new stuff.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC chevySSfreak88's Avatar
    Thanks

PLEASEEE make the buick version look like this!

Thanks

No, the Mini van should go to Buick first, then Chevy and then GMC. There is a huge market of well, no other way to say it, but "old people" and they love mini-vans for the easy entry and large door. Buick would be the brand of choice in whats left of GM for these buyers.

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,504 Times in 1,342 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

Quote Originally Posted by Jkujo View Post
    Sorry, but shouldn't the "mini-van" go to GMC and not Buick? Also, where's a replacement for the Savanna/Express, aren't their designs like 10+ years old (I believe the hardware under the hood has been updated)? I hope GM just blows us away with the amount of new product. Lord knows the past few auto shows have been snoozers for new stuff.
    That's what I would think, but maybe they're cooking something up with that Business Concept for Buick. Who knows?

And Savana/Express are super old, but I don't think anyone really cares. They're mostly workhorses and family haulers anyways.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Minivan != cargo van.

Interesting development. Hopefully they can make the Buick rather stylish. Too bad they're missing out on making it a Rendezvous-sized replacement, which would have been a great way to give the Buick more distinction, recapture the pretty good market the Rendezvous had, and hit the tweener between Encore and Enclave.

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Sierra Dbl Cab Cardinal Red

Quote Originally Posted by matt.w View Post
    Minivan != cargo van.

Interesting development. Hopefully they can make the Buick rather stylish. Too bad they're missing out on making it a Rendezvous-sized replacement, which would have been a great way to give the Buick more distinction, recapture the pretty good market the Rendezvous had, and hit the tweener between Encore and Enclave.
    From what I've read something like that is in the works already. I would totally endorse it being called the Rendezvous. That was a good vehicle but it just sat on the vine and died because no one knew what to do with the stinkin' Aztek.

7.0 Liter LS7 V8 OLDSCHOOLGMFAN's Avatar
    Thanks

I like the Minivan info, GM needs to be back into that market. The fullsize vans are fine. That's a market segment where vehicles don't have to be re-designed every five minutes. It's based on things that REALLY matter like function and capability rather than trendy crap.
    '07 MONTE CARLO SS, '09 AVALANCHE LTZ. [/B]

Present non-Chevy gm fleet: '05 Pontiac Bonneville gxp, '09 Buick Lucerne Super, '11 Caddy DTS platinum.

Big vehicles, big V8s, big V6s, auto transmissions, flamboyant styling, lots o' torque, lots of room, lots of comfort, lots of straight-line speed, yup, that's what I love, PURE AUTO AMERICANA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Hidden Content

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

Quote Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
    Chevrolet...AND Buick?

Hmmmm...something makes me doubt the Buick part of that.
    Yeah me too. Maybe Chevy and GMC.
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Premium Member
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2009 Mazda 3 Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Jkujo View Post
    From what I've read something like that is in the works already. I would totally endorse it being called the Rendezvous. That was a good vehicle but it just sat on the vine and died because no one knew what to do with the stinkin' Aztek.
    What's in the works already is China-only and on the old U-body platform, or so I understand.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 ChevroletGuy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chevySSfreak88 View Post

PLEASEEE make the buick version look like this!
    Now that is hot!
    Taking Back America, One Chevy at a Time

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XCR440SP View Post
    No, the Mini van should go to Buick first, then Chevy and then GMC. There is a huge market of well, no other way to say it, but "old people" and they love mini-vans for the easy entry and large door. Buick would be the brand of choice in whats left of GM for these buyers.
    Just two minivans will do Buick and Chevy. I choose Buick because it will be the rich man's minivan and can be more easily distinguishable with Chevy by making it very luxurious, more so than GMC. If it were a cargo minivan, then I would give GMC a whack at it.

Cadillac is sport lux, so they should also sit this one out.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Quote Originally Posted by OLDSCHOOLGMFAN View Post
    I like the Minivan info, GM needs to be back into that market. The fullsize vans are fine. That's a market segment where vehicles don't have to be re-designed every five minutes. It's based on things that REALLY matter like function and capability rather than trendy crap.
    I agree GM needs to have a minivan as well as a new truck below the full size 900s. However the GM's full size vans are adequate not fine. Compare the Savana/Express to the Mercedes full size van. GM needs to improve the full size van.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 MyImpalaSS's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2010 Impala SS(Black on Black)

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
    I agree GM needs to have a minivan as well as a new truck below the full size 900s. However the GM's full size vans are adequate not fine. Compare the Savana/Express to the Mercedes full size van. GM needs to improve the full size van.
    1. Did you really compare Chevy to MB? I'm a huge Chevy fan, but comparing them to MB, come on now.

2. What MB van are you talking about?
    Current Cars:
    2010 Black Impala SS(my baby)
    2009 Gold Yukon Denali(wife drives it)
    2010 Black Hummer H3 Alpha(for my off-roading pleasure
    )

GM 4 LIFE!!!
    Nobody else does it better

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast