GM Inside News Forum banner

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Pickups Each Gain 12 Percent in

3K views 42 replies 22 participants last post by  Ed753 
#1 ·
DETROIT — General Motors Co. (NYSE: GM) delivered 746,659 vehicles in the United States in the second quarter of 2019.

Crossover sales set a new second quarter record after sales grew year over year by 17 percent.
Sales of the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab and GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab were both up 12 percent year over year.
The Chevrolet Equinox and Traverse and GMC Canyon all delivered record second quarter sales.
Sales of every Buick crossover were up year over year, with the Envision posting a 28 percent sales increase. The Enclave was up 21 percent and the Encore was up 5 percent.
Buick deliveries were up 5 percent and GMC deliveries were up 10 percent.
The all-new Cadillac XT4 continues to lead its segment and the all-new Cadillac XT6 has begun shipping to dealers. Cadillac crossover deliveries were up 19 percent in total year over year, helping the brand grow both total and retail sales.
The Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe and GMC Yukon XL were each up more than 20 percent compared to a year ago.
Overall, GM deliveries during the second quarter were down 1.5 percent versus a year ago, in line with third-party estimates for industry sales. The company estimates that its retail market share was even with a year ago, with truck and crossover deliveries offsetting lower passenger car sales.

More Truck Capacity, More Crew Cabs, More Diesels

Starting this quarter, GM will lead the industry and begin breaking out deliveries of its full-size light- and heavy-duty pickups to give investors and other stakeholders a clear view of the company’s sales performance in these vibrant segments.

“The light-duty segment is the highest-volume part of the pickup market and we are expanding choice to make sure that we meet the needs of every customer,” said Kurt McNeil, U.S. vice president, Sales Operations. “Heavy-duty trucks, by contrast, are about 25 percent of full-size pickup sales. Our HDs are purpose-built machines for people who need maximum capability, and we are poised for significant growth.”

Light-Duty Launch Update (Chevrolet Silverado 1500, GMC Sierra 1500)

GM has installed new body shops, upgraded paint shops and reconfigured general assembly at its plants to increase capacity by 20,000 units compared with the outgoing model.
Based on the most recent data available, retail customers have registered more GM full-size light-duty pickups in 2019 than either Ford or Ram. GM light-duty registrations have also led Ford F-150 in 11 of the last 12 months.
The first new GM models to launch were the Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra crew cabs in late summer 2018. Sales of each were up more than 12 percent in the second quarter versus a year ago.
After two consecutive quarters of double-digit year-over-year growth, GM’s crew cab mix has risen from 60 percent of sales to almost 75 percent.
Full production of all cab styles started in March for both retail and fleet orders, and inventory is approaching target levels, especially for the most affordable regular and double cab models. Sales of these models were down year over year due to limited availability.
Customer demand for Chevrolet’s new Trail Boss models — the first full-size pickups equipped with a 2-inch factory-installed lifted suspension — have far exceeded expectations, so GM will double production. In addition, for 2020, Chevrolet will offer both Trail Boss models with a 420-hp, 6.2L V-8 engine.
More than 95 percent of all-new GMC Sierra 1500 crew cab sales are high-end trims including SLT, AT4 and Denali.
GM is introducing a new refined, very powerful and extremely fuel-efficient 3.0-liter Duramax diesel that is expected to be available later this quarter.

Continued at link: https://media.gm.com/media/us/en/gm/home.detail.html/content/Pages/news/us/en/2019/jul/0702-gmsales.html

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Actually, that is very interesting, especially considering that I didn't think that Ford EVER outsold GM in 1/2 ton truck sales. The gap used to be HUGE. Ford outsells GM in the HD market by a HUGE margin, and that is where they get the lead in truck sales.

Color me surprised that Ford F150 outsold the GM 1/2 ton trucks for retail sales for even 1 month. It would be interesting to see total sales for 1/2 ton trucks, and not just retail. Frankly, I would love to see it all broken down.

#6 ·
They're getting to be pretty clever wordsmith's at the GM PR department. Crew cab sales up, though every other metric is down. Thought the slump in sales was due to lack of quad cab availability?

Definitely not sure what the registrations quote means either... are they pulling DMV files now?

#17 ·
Definitely not sure what the registrations quote means either... are they pulling DMV files now?
GM is most likely using data from IHS Markit, which tabulates vehicle registration data. Their datasets include the following:

• Make, model, body type and technical details
  • Pricing and specification data
  • Owner registration type (private, fleet, rental)
  • Fuel and emissions details
  • Sales channel
  • Emissions details
  • 20 vehicle attributes
  • 7 years history
  • Geography down to the postal code
  • Owner demographics (in select countries)
  • 12-year forecasts are available separately

#9 ·
On the GM Media Page linked in the first post, there's a link on the RH side of the page for "Deliveries" to download a PDF.

Reactions: BlackGTP
#10 · (Edited)
Welp, now that GM breaks out the LDs we have -

1500s LD ONLY

2019 / 2018 % Unit volume change

Q1

Silverado 84,496 109,930 -12.46% -12,030

Sierra.... 31,304 28,810 +8.66% +2,494

GM SS 115,800 125,336 -7.98% -9,536

Q2

Silverado 109,930 118,077 -6.90% -8,147

Sierra.... 42,911 45,042 -4.70% -2,131

GM SS 152,841 163,119 -6.30% -10,278

H1 (YTD JUNE 2019 )

Silverado 194,426 214,603 -9.40% -20,177

Sierra 74,215 73,852 +00.49% +00,363

GM SS 268,641 288,455 -6.87% -19,814

Those are still significant numbers in spite of the negatives - and that's said with out regard to the strong news behind them. ( Qualitative improvements. )

Furthermore....

See, in the past, as has been suggested, a big part of the "Silverado" volume changes has been abut the HDs - which has been artificially and incorrectly thrown onto the new LD Silverado 1500s.

( Keep in mind though and or as well.... we still do not have MYR breakouts plus Sierra Classic / Silverado 'LD' K2XXs versus new T1XXs.)

The rest.... is in fact acceptably explained ( to a point ) by GM's various Press Releases - although that does not mean one has to agree with the way they are playing Ball - not by a long shot.

Then there is the topic area of 'Trends'.....

Reactions: Ed753
#15 ·
Was difficult to find my 19 Denali Ultimate. Dealers that had stock weren't willing to transfer. Like, really? They started production last July/August? (not sure exactly) When I first considered a GMC sierra I was told the color I wanted was on constraint (pearl white) Then they got held up on some other thing (can't recall what but it was on the GM forums) with truck sitting in rail yards for 30-60 days. Seemed the entire rollout of the new model had flaws.

Anyway, I sure hope they roll out the HD's better than they did the 1500's and they get proper selection all over the country.

#20 ·
Based on the most recent data available, retail customers have registered more GM full-size light-duty pickups in 2019 than either Ford or Ram.

GM light-duty registrations have also led Ford F-150 in 11 of the last 12 months.

That's an interesting quote...
Yep.

Both parts.

More GM 1/2 Ton Retail Registration than Ford or FCA for perhaps January thru June 2019.

More Total GM 1/2 Ton Registration ( Fleet and Retail ) than Ford in 11 of the the last 12 months so including July 2018 thru June 2019.

I think people are perhaps combining the two statements in a way not written.

Reactions: jzchev28
#31 ·
GM also counts small business commercial fleet buyers as retail sales as they don't qualify for those big fleet discounts, these buyers over at Ford are normally counted as commercial fleet sales...

Does this possibly change the way we view comparisons of figures.

#21 ·
What is a Silverado MD? 4500 and above?

I wasn't aware new HD's were shipping yet. "Trucks began shipping to dealers in the second half of June, with availability expected to grow throughout the third and fourth quarters." (GM Media)

#41 ·
Here are the monthly numbers for June I was able to put together. I will note, these numbers are off a bit, in some cases a lot. The numbers GM reports to databases each month (which I collect from reliable sources) don't add up anywhere near to what they report in their quarterly reports (as you can see with Volt being at -161). I came to these figures by subtracting my found April/May totals from GM's reported Q2 numbers.

I wish I knew how to rectify the differences, but I'm at a loss of how to. Sorry guys.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.