Cheetah: You can buy the company that produces the iconic muscle car

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: Cheetah: You can buy the company that produces the iconic muscle car

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 997 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Cheetah: You can buy the company that produces the iconic muscle car

Keep the Iconic Cheetah Muscle Car Alive by Buying the Company That Builds It
    All the molds, tooling, fixtures, and more required to build the Cheetah are for sale—now's the time to save it.
    BY CHRIS TEAGUE
    MARCH 8, 2020
    thedrive.com

If you've ever dreamed of owning a car company, now is your chance to step up and make it a reality. The small-scale coachbuilder responsible for producing the long-running but little-known Cheetah muscle car is up for sale, meaning it could be up to you to save the rascally V-8 bruiser’s future. Ruth Engineering and Ruth Restorations, the companies behind Cheetah Evolution, are getting out of the custom car business and are including all the necessary resources—sans a shop —in their sale of the company.

The Cheetah has a storied history as the car has been made by a few different groups over the years and was used extensively for racing in the 1960s. It can all be traced back to Bill Thomas, who aimed to take down Carroll Shelby’s Cobra some 50-plus years ago at tracks across America. This meant building a car that was lightweight and had big time power, typically from a Corvette V-8. The result was a squirrelly machine that had its flaws, sure, but was extremely quick on any given day that the driver could muscle his will into existence.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE

Image courtesy of, and credited to, hagerty.com:
    "La vita è come un albero di Natale..c'è sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Re: Cheetah: You can buy the company that produces the iconic muscle car

I've been told by reliable sources that for less than a grand I could own the Merkur car brand.
    Trademark is abandoned and has been for quite some time.

I have considered it... it would be fun to make a car show display out of the paperwork.
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (03-11-2020),Chassis Guy (03-11-2020),CJH (03-12-2020),mbukukanyau (03-11-2020),wallus13 (03-11-2020)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,655 Times in 3,703 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    [U][B]

Image courtesy of, and credited to, hagerty.com:
    That car looks like a real death trap. One mistake and you would be heading off the road into whatever...

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

I am a bit tired of the term muscle car being wrongly used, I know that for a lot of non Americans muscle car simply means American performance car.

I am a huge fan of the Cheetah, this car came in at 1,600 pounds back in the day and combined with a healthy V-8 engine made for an insanely fast car. To me the Cheetah represents everything right about a performance car, if the rear of my Z06 were to get hit I would consider a Cheetah kit car and drop the LS7 in it. This car back in the early 60s clocked 217MPH at Daytona.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to roadkillz For This Useful Post:

Chassis Guy (03-12-2020),CJH (03-12-2020),mbukukanyau (03-11-2020),richmond2000 (03-12-2020)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information