Car Names Don't Make Sense Anymore. And Cadillac is the worst offender.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car Names Don't Make Sense Anymore. And Cadillac is the worst offender.

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,033 Times in 997 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Car Names Don't Make Sense Anymore. And Cadillac is the worst offender.

Car Names Don't Make Sense Anymore
    The Germans are responsible for this mess, but Cadillac is probably the worst offender.
    BY JASON CAMMISA
    JUN 23, 2020
    Road & Track

Face it: The idea of putting a badge on a car is silly. Does your garage door have a badge on it? No. Everyone knows it’s a garage door. And nobody cares how wide it is, how quickly it opens, or which kind of helper spring it uses. Yet car companies slap badges all over their products in an attempt to broadcast different facts about them to the public, which probably doesn’t care.

Forty years ago Cadillac learned the hard way that it should never place its badge on something that hadn’t earned it. The Cimarron was a rebadged Chevrolet Cavalier, a substandard economy car that now makes regular appearances on listicles of the worst cars of all time. Badge engineering an expensive “luxury” version without any actual engineering—or additional content—was a blatant insult to Cadillac’s own customers, a ploy so disingenuous that it almost killed the whole brand. Luckily, Cadillac hasn’t done anything so egregious since. But it did recently begin applying questionable badges to its otherwise fine products. I recently drove an XT6 with a “400” badge. Upon seeing it, I thought perhaps I’d missed the memo that Cadillac had installed a 400-hp version of the ATS-V’s twin-turbo V-6 in the new SUV.

CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita č come un albero di Natale..c'č sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

steve333 (06-30-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

5.3 Liter Vortec V8
    Thanks

Re: Car Names Don't Make Sense Anymore. And Cadillac is the worst offender.

Like Yogi Berra once said "It's deja vue all over again" .
    Barry
    '04 Nocturne Blue Saab 9-3 2.0T, 1997 Catera (11/96 - 6/13)
    '13 Black Diamond / Black Regal T

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dovetonsils For This Useful Post:

StarCruiser (06-25-2020),Stéphane Dumas (06-25-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,544 Times in 1,904 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Get off my lawn, you dadgum metric system!!
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

Hidden Content

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-24-2020),Neanderthal (06-24-2020),StarCruiser (06-25-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 665 Posts

You know, of all of the dead horses to beat, this is the worst. “Car names don’t make sense” is even more meaningless than car names.

And actually Cadillac’s names plenty of sense.

Car journos are clearly bored with far fewer car reveals and first drive events, so they pick random nonsense like this to whine about.

The absolute stupidest thing to go on about.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

10. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-24-2020),bmwboy2007 (06-25-2020),CadillacSA (06-25-2020),criticalmass (06-26-2020),richmond2000 (06-25-2020),Scrambler (06-25-2020),sledgehammer777 (06-25-2020),VS Ute 5Litre (06-25-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Robert1969 View Post
    You know, of all of the dead horses to beat, this is the worst. “Car names don’t make sense” is even more meaningless than car names.

Car journos are clearly bored with far fewer car reveals and first drive events, so they pick random nonsense like this to whine about.

I agree with you. Boring times and this BS. Must be Covid-19 side effects.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

Robert1969 (06-25-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 9,335 Times in 4,568 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

I share the same sentiments. Plus this false confusion over the V can go away now and the Cimmaron was 40 years ago, time to let it RIP.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-24-2020),CadillacSA (06-25-2020),eklauss (06-25-2020),Robert1969 (06-24-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,749 Times in 2,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    I share the same sentiments. Plus this false confusion over the V can go away now and the Cimmaron was 40 years ago, time to let it RIP.
    I'm somewhat embarrassed any more but I'll say it anyway. I actually liked the Cimarron way back then, especially after they tried to make it not look so much like a Cavalier. lol.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

BlackGTP (06-25-2020),eklauss (06-25-2020),Robert1969 (06-25-2020),rockyspaw (06-25-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2020 Camaro/Now on hold. :(

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    I'm somewhat embarrassed any more but I'll say it anyway. I actually liked the Cimarron way back then, especially after they tried to make it not look so much like a Cavalier. lol.
    Psssst...don't tell anyone.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IROCNROL1 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-27-2020),BlackGTP (06-25-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 665 Posts

After they added the V-6 it got much better reviews.

What I hate most about the occasional Cimarron retrospectives is how dishonest writers have to be to make the Cimarron sound bad. If you have to use hyperbole the make the case that the car was a bad idea, maybe it wasn’t as bad as you say.

I saw article mocking the fact that the Cimarron had a four speaker sound system, as though that wasn’t above average for the time. I have seen them mock the thirteen inch wheels, again, as though out of the norm for the era. I have seen them mock the fact that the V-6 produced 129hp — as though that was somehow unusual for the time. The BMW 325es had exactly 120hp.

I have even seen modern car writers dismiss favorable reviews of the Cimarron from the 1980s as though car writers today have a better grasp on what was competitive for the 1980s than car writers actually writing in that era. And I am sure that 90% modern car writers probably never sat inside a brand new Cimarron.

Look people: if whatever car you think is the worst car ever really was the worst car ever then you can keep all of its specs and performance numbers in its proper historical context and it will still feel like the worst car ever.

I am not here to tell you that the Cimarron was a pre-modern ATS. But after the first year the Cimarron increasingly improved and became a nice fairly refined car that was considerably less expensive than its rivals.

Here’s a Popular Mechanics article comparing the Cimarron to the BMW 325es and the Mercedes 190E. It was fairly competitive, the quietest car in the segment, and although the model tested was the automatic it’s acceleration split the difference between the two Germans.

The braking was far better than the BMW’s and only a couple feet of stopping distance behind the Mercedes with it’s ABS system. As far as its handling and maneuverability, it hung with or topped the Germans.

And even going from 82-83, Motor Week noticed big improvements:

It wasn’t just Popular Mechanics and Motor Week that began to warm up to the Cimmaron. Here’s The Morning Call with raves for the Cimarron.
    Last edited by Robert1969; 06-24-2020 at 11:19 PM.
    I am on the border of genius and crazy. I keep trying to cross over into genius, but ICE keeps sending me back to the crazy side of the border.

20. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Robert1969 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-27-2020),BlackGTP (06-25-2020),eklauss (06-25-2020),richmond2000 (06-25-2020),rockyspaw (06-25-2020),StarCruiser (06-25-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

I get why Caddy went this route, they are primarily interested in coming up with some logic to denote a performance hierarchy. The circuitous route they take to justify the number is dumber than usual, but ultimately it means Caddy wants you to think about performance when you buy their cars. That will come into play as a brand focused on electrification rather than engine displacement. Displacement is also an irrelevant indicator of performance, a Caddy 3.6L is certainly not faster than the 3.0L.
    Last edited by BORG; 06-24-2020 at 11:15 PM.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-27-2020),BlackGTP (06-25-2020),richmond2000 (06-25-2020)

GMI Staff Member FenwickHockey65's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,701 Times in 1,396 Posts
    My Ride
    '03 GMC Envoy/'07 Ford F-150

I think the current Cadillac naming convention is stupid, but it does make sense.
    Hidden Content
    2003 GMC Envoy SLE
    2007 Ford F-150 XL SuperCab (State-issued)
    2014 Dodge Charger Pursuit (State-issued)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FenwickHockey65 For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-25-2020),Robert1969 (06-25-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 Mr.Buttons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,198 Times in 681 Posts

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Buttons View Post
    I'll give you $10 if you watch/listen to the entire 10 hours in one sitting (you can get up 3 times for the bathroom).

27. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-27-2020)

Banned
    Thanks
    My Ride

After they added the V-6 it got much better reviews.

What I hate most about the occasional Cimarron retrospectives is how dishonest writers have to be to make the Cimarron sound bad. If you have to use hyperbole the make the case that the car was a bad idea, maybe it wasn’t as bad as you say.

I saw article mocking the fact that the Cimarron had a four speaker sound system, as though that wasn’t above average for the time. I have seen them mock the thirteen inch wheels, again, as though out of the norm for the era. I have seen them mock the fact that the V-6 produced 129hp — as though that was somehow unusual for the time. The BMW 325es had exactly 120hp.

I have even seen modern car writers dismiss favorable reviews of the Cimarron from the 1980s as though car writers today have a better grasp on what was competitive for the 1980s than car writers actually writing in that era. And I am sure that 90% modern car writers probably never sat inside a brand new Cimarron.

Look people: if whatever car you think is the worst car ever really was the worst car ever then you can keep all of its specs and performance numbers in its proper historical context and it will still feel like the worst car ever.

I am not here to tell you that the Cimarron was a pre-modern ATS. But after the first year the Cimarron increasingly improved and became a nice fairly refined car that was considerably less expensive than its rivals.

Here’s a Popular Mechanics article comparing the Cimarron to the BMW 325es and the Mercedes 190E. It was fairly competitive, the quietest car in the segment, and although the model tested was the automatic it’s acceleration split the difference between the two Germans.

The braking was far better than the BMW’s and only a couple feet of stopping distance behind the Mercedes with it’s ABS system. As far as its handling and maneuverability, it hung with or topped the Germans.

And even going from 82-83, Motor Week noticed big improvements:

It wasn’t just Popular Mechanics and Motor Week that began to warm up to the Cimmaron. Here’s The Morning Call with raves for the Cimarron.
    I'll have to watch these videos later - thanks for posting. I didn't start reading the car mags until at least 1986, maybe a little later, so never read or saw any reviews of the maligned Cimmaron. So the myth of horribleness has grown bigger than the actual vehicle.

Just like that idiotic "Cadillac trying to be Audi" comment written by one writer and picked up by the rest of the industry. Repeat the same drivel enough and it becomes true (same goes for CUE).

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-27-2020),eklauss (06-25-2020),Robert1969 (06-25-2020)

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2001 Trans Am Black

Dear lord, a 22 second quarter mile. Might as well just list the 0-60 as "eventually"
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am
    2016 Chevy SS Sedan
    2017 Chevy Traverse
    2019 Chevy Colorado

Past:
    2016 Chevy Traverse
    2012 Buick Regal GS
    2010 Chevy Traverse
    2003 Cadillac Seville SLS
    2003 Chevy Blazer M5
    1989 Pontiac Firebird

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHRATA01 For This Useful Post:

bballr4567 (06-25-2020),BORG (06-25-2020)

32. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information