Car Magazine. XE vs 4 Series and C Class.

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Car Magazine. XE vs 4 Series and C Class.

SKH
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,701 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

Car Magazine. XE vs 4 Series and C Class.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member Envoy4Life's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,498 Times in 3,761 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Cadillac CTS Performance

Re: Car Magazine. XE vs 4 Series and C Class.

IMHO it's a flawed comparison test because they used the 4 Gran Coupe. That made no sense to me.

That said, C Class please. I just can't get past the XE's interior.
    Current:

2016 Cadillac CTS4 2.0T Performance

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

Hidden Content Originally Posted by Greg.Botts Hidden Content
    LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

Amphibian (07-02-2015)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,012 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

XE is for me. I prefer the jaguar.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

paul8488 (07-06-2015)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,050 Times in 1,889 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Cadillac CT6

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy4Life View Post
    IMHO it's a flawed comparison test because they used the 4 Gran Coupe. That made no sense to me.

4 series GC is 99% the same car. It's vaid enough

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    4 series GC is 99% the same car. It's vaid enough
    It's bigger, isn't a conventional sedan, and doesn't compete with the other two. A 335i sedan would have made it a fair comparison.

That said, the 335i still would have finished last.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

LOL at all the FORD fans in this thread thinking they got a one up. This is the Yukon Denali and trust me it's going to blow away the Navigator. Escalade is gunning for RR/Bentley level of interiors and beyond. I've talked to someone about this on another site that confirmed it Navigator isn't even being bench-marked at Cadillac too low for them.
    ^GOLD^

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 7,532 Times in 3,813 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Cadillac ATS - Black

Funny how they complain about the Jag's bland styling on China AND the USA!

Of the Jag and Merc I myself would pick the Jag just because the Mercedes doesn't look good from most angles, flat out awkward sometimes. To me part of luxury is no-compromise style, the Merc's style is compromised.

And I hadn't realized the Merc has a column shift. I supposed for some on GMI that will be the hallmark of saying "I'm luxury" and should applaud Mercedes for being true to its roots. Yet GM does it on the Escalade and it is tacky.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Butz (07-03-2015)

SKH
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,733 Times in 1,701 Posts
    My Ride
    LR Discovery '17 SiliconSilver

XE for me please. I just can't get past the C's awkward exterior.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

'Angry' headlights? Check. Amorphous grille shapes? Check. 3-port lower fascias with huge gaping outer holes? Check. 5-spoke rims? Check. Unimaginative LED treatments? Check. Sigh? Check.

BMW gets older & older looking as other brands move stylistically forward. Oh; not these other two, but some.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

The C looks like an overstyled Japanese creation.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Amphibian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,162 Times in 762 Posts

C-Class for me. It's comfortable and refined yet not sloppy. Plus that interior. I don't personally have a use for a serious "sport" sedan, but rather a luxury sedan that's competent overall.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Amphibian For This Useful Post:

Envoy4Life (07-02-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    And I hadn't realized the Merc has a column shift. I supposed for some on GMI that will be the hallmark of saying "I'm luxury" and should applaud Mercedes for being true to its roots. Yet GM does it on the Escalade and it is tacky.
    Trollolololololol. Seriously?

I don't like column shifters personally, but the Escalade's shifter is ripped straight from a 1500 pickup:

You genuinely think that the one in the Escalade isn't tacky and out of place?

Not only is it tacky and out of place, but it's downright unacceptable for something as expensive as an Escalade.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Envoy4Life For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (07-03-2015),mgescuro (07-05-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride

Trollolololololol. Seriously?

I don't like column shifters personally, but the Escalade's shifter is ripped straight from a 1500 pickup:

You genuinely think that the one in the Escalade isn't tacky and out of place?

Not only is it tacky and out of place, but it's downright unacceptable for something as expensive as an Escalade.
    So if the Cadillac used the same shifter and the Chevy a different one, then it would be ok? Other than the odd angle of the shifter on the GM trucks (which I don't care for) I don't see what about the Mercedes one is a bastion of taste. Both are black plastic, that's about it.

So you are saying negative things about GM and calling a competitor better on a GM site, and you call me a troll? I think after over 7,000 posts I deserve better than that.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to BlackGTP For This Useful Post:

Butz (07-03-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    So if the Cadillac used the same shifter and the Chevy a different one, then it would be ok? Other than the odd angle of the shifter on the GM trucks (which I don't care for) I don't see what about the Mercedes one is a bastion of taste. Both are black plastic, that's about it.

Please don't call me a troll.
    No, it most certainly would not be okay. The one in the Cadillac looks totally out of place in an otherwise nicely finished interior.

It's cheap, it's chintzy, and it doesn't belong in there. The Mercedes one isn't exactly fantastic, but it certainly is better and easier on the eyes as well. It also doesn't move like the Escalade one. You just bump it up and down to change gears. The Escalade one physically moves like the one in the Silverado I posted, as it's the same shifter and uses the same parts, hence the cheap, low rent appearance. Again, out of place in a car of that caliber.

Sorry, that post came across as trolling to me. Nothing personal dude, chill. You brought up the Escalade's column shift, which you know is a highly debated topic on here (), so expect something to flare up from that.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you had noticed or not, but this entire thread has nothing to do with GM at all. It's Jaguar vs. BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz. And comparing a something from compact sedan in this comparison test to a full size SUV? Come on. So dissing a GM product in a non-GM thread that you brought up got scrutinized.
    Current:

2006 GMC Envoy SLT 4x4

^GOLD^

Hidden Content

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar balthazar's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2004 Silverado 2500HD DM

MB's shifter certainly looks very cheap. Why is the 'window' in it so amorphously shaped, does anything show up in the left-hand 50% of it or is that lens taken from the parts bin of another model?

No doubt there are many who believe that MB shifter has NO PLACE being in a car of that price tier and marketed image.

Thanks
    My Ride

No, it most certainly would not be okay. The one in the Cadillac looks totally out of place in an otherwise nicely finished interior.

It's cheap, it's chintzy, and it doesn't belong in there. The Mercedes one isn't exactly fantastic, but it certainly is better and easier on the eyes as well. It also doesn't move like the Escalade one. You just bump it up and down to change gears. The Escalade one physically moves like the one in the Silverado I posted, as it's the same shifter and uses the same parts, hence the cheap, low rent appearance. Again, out of place in a car of that caliber.

Sorry, that post came across as trolling to me. Nothing personal dude, chill. You brought up the Escalade's column shift, which you know is a highly debated topic on here (), so expect something to flare up from that.

Oh, and I'm not sure if you had noticed or not, but this entire thread has nothing to do with GM at all. It's Jaguar vs. BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz. And comparing a something from compact sedan in this comparison test to a full size SUV? Come on. So dissing a GM product in a non-GM thread that you brought up got scrutinized.
    Perhaps I was extra crabby last night.

However, this is GMI, and to me the purpose of "competition news" is to understand what competitors are doing (bad or well) and apply that to GM. And that applies to the column shifter in the Merc; the very fact one is on an MB product bears scrutiny and doesn't matter that the Merc and Escalade are in different segments. As far as I know this is the only other non-GM shifter out there on a luxury product, why not compare it?

Just my thoughts, and you are right this is a touch topic - it isn't worth turning this into a 10 page debate over something I always laugh at because I don't think it's a big deal (and neither do all the people who buy one).

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information