Car and Driver Writer Goes Missing

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Car and Driver Writer Goes Missing

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member Neanderthal's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,975 Times in 3,799 Posts
    My Ride
    17 Soul&/01 PT LTD/15 JD130

Car and Driver Writer Goes Missing

Last Updated Jun 10, 2019 11:59 AM EDT

A massive search is underway in Northern California for a longtime automotive writer who mysteriously disappeared while on a motorcycle trip near the Sierra Mountains. Police say they've recovered nearly all of Davey Johnson's belongings – including his motorcycle – but have no idea where he is.

Johnson's girlfriend says he had been on the road test-driving it for an assignment when he went missing Wednesday, reports CBS News' Jericka Duncan. Now, a team of 45 people, six dogs, two boats and a helicopter have been deployed to try and find him.

Jaclyn Trop says her boyfriend is known for being adventurous, but it's completely out of character for him to disappear for this long.

"There's just so many questions that we have," Trop said.

Trop last spoke to Johnson around 5 a.m. Wednesday morning. The 44-year-old had been testing out a motorcycle for a story, and Trop says he did not text her for several hours. According to Trop, he said his cell phone died and he had been dealing with difficult riding conditions.

"I'm so sorry I worried you," he texted. "Yes, I'm okay and alive, but I am wiped. I love you very much."

Trop said she didn't think he had a planned route and now she and investigators are trying to piece it together. Trop believes on Sunday, June 2, Johnson rode from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. The next day, he went from Las Vegas to Mammoth Mountain in California, and from there, on Tuesday, he headed to the Sonora Pass.

The Sonora Pass is the second-tallest highway pass in the Sierra Nevada, known for its winding, steep and sometimes icy roads, even in June. Trop says despite poor conditions, she believes Johnson made it over the pass by early Wednesday, the last time he was heard from.

"He texted a friend of his … to say that he was sitting in a creek at the rest stop, just enjoying himself," Trop said.

Johnson's bike was found by police Saturday parked at a rest stop in Calaveras County, California, at the foothills of the Sierra Mountain range. Trop says the next day his clothing, cellphone and laptop were found by a river about 50 feet away. His wallet is still missing.

Trop says she isn't giving up hope, but as each day passes, it gets harder.

"We always talked about having 40 years together, and we had a 40-year timeline and to have that cut short … is horrible."

Johnson is a respected contributor to Car and Driver Magazine. A spokesperson for the magazine said the entire team is eagerly awaiting positive news about his rescue.

Trop told us she and Johnson had only been dating a few months, but they planned on getting engaged in a few weeks.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/davey-j...ada-mountains/

Was the key in the bike? How does your phone go low when you're riding something that can charge your phone? Did he go for a swim?
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

Where liberty dwells, there is my country. Benjamin Franklin

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

Hidden Content Hidden Content Hidden Content

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 8,699 Times in 5,615 Posts

Re: Car and Driver Writer Goes Missing

Skinny dipping with Bigfoot gone horribly wrong. A crime of passion, no doubt.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Skinny dipping with Bigfoot gone horribly wrong. A crime of passion, no doubt.
    I figured something like that. Or interdimensional beings, as seen on Coast To Coast AM, have taken him on a tour of the 5th Dimension.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground. Thomas Jefferson

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 3,164 Times in 1,903 Posts

I see nothing funny about this.
    "The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it."

-George Orwell

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to megeebee For This Useful Post:

61BelAir (06-11-2019),Greg.Botts (06-11-2019),samesun (06-11-2019),Tomko (06-12-2019),wallus13 (06-11-2019)

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    4.3L Vortec

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    I see nothing funny about this.
    Indeed. I'm disappointed and a little creeped out by the replies so far.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bongos2u For This Useful Post:

Greg.Botts (06-11-2019),megeebee (06-11-2019)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,002 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Out testing a motorcycle?

I hate to say he is in a ditch somewhere after he went off the road and he is unable to use his cell phone and the phone is in such pieces it can not be tracked..

Its not looking good for this gentleman.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

4.6 Liter Northstar V8 rand49er's Avatar
    Thanks

Either he's honestly lost out there or he's depressed and did himself in. Sad. Let's hope it's not a publicity stunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Neanderthal View Post
    ... as seen on Coast To Coast AM ...
    Anybody else question this choice of TV shows to watch? Ha!
    2005 CTS-V, LS6, supercharged, L-T headers, etc SOLD !!!
    2011 Cruze ECO, 1.4T, 6-spd manual. (my DD) SOLD !!!
    2012 SRX, 3.6, AWD (wife's car)
    2017 Volt Premier Iridescent Pearl Tricoat (son has taken it over)
    2016 ATS Premium 6MT (my DD)

Thanks
    My Ride

It's called dark humor. It's one way to cope with bad news. Get used to it, it's used every day.

These facts don't add up to a good outcome for this guy. I still don't get why he'd let his cell get low when certainly that Honda 1000 has charging ports.

How cold is that stream? How swift? Won't end well.

18 hours ago:

Davey G. Johnson, 43, was last heard from when he texted a friend around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, saying that he was sitting near a creek before heading home, according to Car and Driver.

The motorcycle Johnson had been testing for Motorcyclist magazine — a black Honda CB1000R — was found parked on its kickstand at a rest stop, along with his helmet and gloves, shortly after midnight on Saturday, Car and Driver said. His phone, laptop and backpack were discovered by a nearby river.

Although several of Johnson’s belongings were found near the bike, his wallet was missing, according to CBS. Officials have warned that the state's waterways are running cold and fast as snow begins to melt and pour water into rivers and creeks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...on/1414905001/
    Last edited by Neanderthal; 06-11-2019 at 08:25 AM.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (06-11-2019),Citation84 (06-12-2019),richmond2000 (06-11-2019),ryannel2003 (06-11-2019),sfbreh (06-11-2019),The Handler (06-12-2019),TruckMan (06-11-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    '09 Ford Flex; '18 Mustang GT

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Out testing a motorcycle?

I hate to say he is in a ditch somewhere after he went off the road and he is unable to use his cell phone and the phone is in such pieces it can not be tracked..

Its not looking good for this gentleman.
    The motorcycle was parked at a rest stop, so he didn't run off the road somewhere.

Thanks
    My Ride

CD website update. BTW, his wallet was in his pants pocket. This is definitely weird. Poor guy is probably 50 miles downstream by now.

UPDATE 6/11/19: After concluding the search for the night on Monday, the Calaveras Sheriff and other involved parties requested additional resources for the search, which is continuing this morning. The GoFundMe raised $16,580, which will be donated to the Calaveras County Search and Rescue. Yesterday, the police found Johnson's wallet in a pocket in his motorcycle pants.

UPDATE 6/10/19: Search and rescue has continued through the weekend, with the Calaveras Sheriff's Department widening search this morning. The search effort is focused mainly on the river and Route 49, the nearby highway. A GoFundMe had been set up in support of the Calaveras County Search and Rescue operation, but it has now been put on pause after exceeding its goal.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2...rn-california/
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Neanderthal For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (06-12-2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,699 Times in 5,615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bongos2u View Post
    Indeed. I'm disappointed and a little creeped out by the replies so far.
    Too bad. He's dead and nobody here knows him, so what are you supposed to do? Weep hysterically in public, like a North Korean?

It's called dark humor. It's one way to cope with bad news. Get used to it, it's used every day.

These facts don't add up to a good outcome for this guy. I still don't get why he'd let his cell get low when certainly that Honda 1000 has charging ports.

18 hours ago:

Davey G. Johnson, 43, was last heard from when he texted a friend around 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, saying that he was sitting near a creek before heading home, according to Car and Driver.

The motorcycle Johnson had been testing for Motorcyclist magazine — a black Honda CB1000R — was found parked on its kickstand at a rest stop, along with his helmet and gloves, shortly after midnight on Saturday, Car and Driver said. His phone, laptop and backpack were discovered by a nearby river.

Although several of Johnson’s belongings were found near the bike, his wallet was missing, according to CBS. Officials have warned that the state's waterways are running cold and fast as snow begins to melt and pour water into rivers and creeks.

Doy.

Let me give the correct response: MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS MAN AND HIS FAMILY. LOOK DOWN UPON ME WITH MERCY, OH LORD OF THE FORUMS, FOR THOU ART A GREAT AND TERRIBLE LORD, WHOSE APPROVAL GRANTS ME RESTFUL SLUMBER.

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Either he's honestly lost out there or he's depressed and did himself in. Sad. Let's hope it's not a publicity stunt.

Anybody else question this choice of TV shows to watch? Ha!
    It's a radio show. Anything Art Bell did was better, including C2C.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sfbreh For This Useful Post:

CadillacSA (06-11-2019),Mr.Buttons (06-11-2019),Neanderthal (06-11-2019),ryannel2003 (06-11-2019),The Handler (06-12-2019)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,710 Times in 1,776 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

18 hours ago:

It happens all the time in my neck of the woods this time of year. People out for a good time get frivolous or whatever and end up in a creek along the Wasatch Front up north and that's the end of their mortal existence.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,986 Times in 1,637 Posts
    My Ride
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti

Car and Driver writer??
    Did they look up Honda's ass?
    1989 Merkur XR4Ti
    2014 Carlisle Ford Nationals - Merkur Club of America Preservation Award

2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum... Princess Buttercup IV
    2015 Chevy Cruze Diesel... Many thanks to VW for making this deal possible.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to eaton53 For This Useful Post:

Mr.Buttons (06-11-2019)

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 3,127 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Equinox V6| 2013 Traverse
    Illegals know where he is fershur

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post
    Too bad. He's dead and nobody here knows him, so what are you supposed to do?
    Weep hysterically in public, like a North Korean?

Doy.

Let me give the correct response: MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS GO OUT TO THIS MAN AND HIS FAMILY. LOOK DOWN UPON ME WITH MERCY, OH LORD OF THE FORUMS, FOR THOU ART A GREAT AND TERRIBLE LORD, WHOSE APPROVAL GRANTS ME RESTFUL SLUMBER.

It's a radio show. Anything Art Bell did was better, including C2C.
    Weeping hysterically in public is a good start. It should buy you at least one more day in this mortal coil.

Your prayer is touching and so appropriate. Linking the two Arts together is a nice touch, I'm sure the appropriate authorities Upstairs will appreciate that and take it into consideration during your admissions process many decades from now.

Quote Originally Posted by 1958carnut View Post
    It happens all the time in my neck of the woods this time of year. People out for a good time get frivolous or whatever and end up in a creek along the Wasatch Front up north and that's the end of their mortal existence.
    Going skinny dipping in a cold, swift-flowing stream while possibly under the influence of at the very least exhaustion, and possibly some external logic-disabling substances, is NEVER a good idea.
    2017 Soul &, Titanium

24. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast