Cadillac Sales Plunge as Lincoln Gains - Page 17

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac Sales Plunge as Lincoln Gains

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Re: Cadillac Sales Plunge as Lincoln Gains

Quote Originally Posted by 63GrandSport001 View Post
    Platform sharing isn't a bad thing unless the platform that is being shared is a bad one....
    And that right there, is a key GM advantage -

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGTP View Post
    Lincoln CUV's, I can see younger, upscale people buying (mostly women). I'd say they are targeting women with the Matthew M. ads...

Lincoln cars, I can only see older people buying with the traditional styling. They haven't done anything that I'd think anyone younger would consider.
    Hmmm..... think it is about guys 'like' or who think of themselves, or want to identify with, or aspire to something like MM as presented in the ads.

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    I was pointing out how Volvo focused on putting out great product and marketing. Now Chinese owned, which is enough to put people off, they are making Cadillac look like clowns with their inept leadership.
    That's the point, boy, and my rants are spot on. Deal with it.
    The Volvo XC90 is exactly what Lincoln could have done - easily.

Literally.

But not on the ( very ) cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by sfbreh View Post

China numbers look good. Do I see...... CT6 selling better in the US than China?
    Good eye although ..... not likely ??? really so significant in several senses.

Not sure of all of it, though.

Gotta' look @ both Mo. and YTD.

And a little more other area specifics might pin it all down.

Canadian is super easy and Chinese ain't all that hard although....

Still....

So for instance, as you spotted....

Global CT 6 May 2016 Mo.

USA / Other ( incl. Canada and China ) / Total

697 / 422 / 1,119

One and done even though we didn't use the China number. USA > China.

--

Same but May 2016 YTD;

....USA + Canada / Other / Global Total / Global Unit change v. previous Mo. / Global % change v. previous Mo.

May YTD 1,036 + / 1017 - / 2075 / +1,119 / + 99.465 %

April. YTD 339.. /. 617 /. 956 /. + 561 / + 42.025 %

March YTD 39.. /. 356 /. 395 /. + 395 /. na

--

So.... lemme' get Canada - back in a bit .....

Well need to keep looking but in the meantime..... revised above.

USA / Canada btw, were for CT 6 as;

March 35 + 4 = 39

April 285 + 15 = 300

May 697 + ?? = 697 +
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 06-08-2016 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Corrected back statement in front of USA > China
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Quote Originally Posted by desmo9 View Post
    Welburn retiring wont hurt. Very and overly confident guy considering it's been under his design oversight that Cadillac has declined. I suspect this has something to do with his departure. The specs of the cars are solid, it's a design problem completely. Way too much bling in a market that's become less about opulent style in the mainstream luxury segments.
    Too much? If anything, current Cadillac sedans are too muted. Meanwhile, the bold and brutal Escalade continues to print money.
    My blog: Hidden Content

Back!
    Thanks

China is a worthwhile discussion if we are looking at the long term, but short term profits in China are exceptionally thin and, realistically, success in the North-American market is critical to the short-term and mid-term financial outlook for both Cadillac and Lincoln.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Jesda's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,516 Times in 1,159 Posts
    My Ride
    MX5, STS

Quote Originally Posted by desmo9 View Post
    Way too much bling in a market that's become less about opulent style in the mainstream luxury segments.
    Too much? If anything, current Cadillac sedans are too muted. Meanwhile, the bold and brutal Escalade continues to print money.
    My blog: Hidden Content

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member paul8488's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,186 Times in 2,403 Posts
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by AMERICA 123 View Post

USA / Other ( incl. Canada and China ) / Total

697 / 422 / 1,119
    697 is more than half of the global volume last month. CT6 sold better in the US than China. It couldn't be easier, sfbreh was right.

How one could take 3 paragraphs and 10 calculations and still come to the wrong conclusion is a mystery for the ages...
    Automotive stories and pictures for the rest of us:

Hidden Content

Thanks
    Thanked 1,574 Times in 1,093 Posts
    My Ride
    The Toyota Rat Catcher

Yep, that's how I wrote it originally - got it messed up when I added all the other.

Will change it back.

Thanks - for that.

As to the rest of what was posted and you insulted for whatever reason.....

Sfbreh will get it and why..... and that is who the reply was to, yes ???

Seriously though, just feel free to ignore my posting.

It's never been done with you mind unless as a direct reply.

Do it for GMI's sake -

It really appears....... based on your incessant ad hominem attacks and nonsensical posting as well as your demonstrated and repeatably so inabilities with certain things .... well well beyond your reach.

Matter of fact, lets do this.

I'm going to use the ignore function for the very first time and for many more than you...... and why don't you do the same with regard to here .
    Last edited by AMERICA 123; 06-08-2016 at 04:13 AM.
    "From tech stocks to high gas prices, Goldman Sachs has engineered every major market manipulation since the Great Depression — and they're about to do it again."
    "The world's most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money."
    "If America is circling the drain, Goldman Sachs has found a way to be that drain — " Matt Taibbi

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar zl-1's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
    I too doubt the wisdom of toning down Art & Science designs too much: if Cadillac keeps down that road it will need a new design language yesterday as A&S doesn't work unless it's for sharp (in the blade sense of the word sharp) looking vehicles.

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

I don't 'ignore' people. I'm an adult, not a 5 year old who sticks his fingers in his ears. You were posting nonsensical garbage and I pointed it out, you said you'd change it, seems reasonable to me.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Oh, and take private responses to private message if you don't want other people reading what you're writing. You've been posting here for a decade, you know how it works.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

Quote Originally Posted by b4z View Post
    It's pricing, package pricing and option pricing.
    Yes it is.

The price of the current CTS is at least 20% more than the previous CTS. That just doesn't fly in my books.

I would have bought otherwise.
    Last edited by dindak; 06-08-2016 at 09:45 AM.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2015 Buick Regal 2.4

^Post for the day!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to johnls_39 For This Useful Post:

Oscuro (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Oscuro View Post
    What people on these forums (armchair analysts) need to do is be consistent with their messages and mind-set. Do forum goers and the real analysts, for that matter, want to see Cadillac competing with Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, and Audi as top tier or do they wish Cadillac to compete with Lincoln, Buick, Volvo, and Acura? We cannot have both. We cannot have Cadillac selling CTSs, a world (read 5series, E-Class, A6, and GS) beating vehicle for the price of the 3Series, C-Class, and A4.
    Mercedes sells big volume AND expensive. So does BMW. And Lexus. And Audi. There's a happy medium to be struck, for sure, but the fall of the Alpha cars is not healthy, and wasn't planned. It'll take a generation to correct that, but I hope that GM is looking harder at the reasons than GMi Cadillac fans, who tend to shrug it off.

Hidden Content

16. The Following User Says Thank You to paul8488 For This Useful Post:

CJH (06-08-2016)

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

To pricing. Cadillac is doing an excellent job in weeding out value shoppers from actual luxury ones.
    Fine, if that was planned then so be it, they're doing a very good job of it.

I took a gander at the new XT5 and CT6 the other day...
    They look spectacular, saw both in the airport in Shanghai yesterday and even if I couldn't climb in, I think they look great. After just a few months on the market both are off to a very impressive start. I'm not the least bit concerned about those two.

Hidden Content

Thanks
    My Ride
    1983 Opel Corsa TR coupe

The idea of price is irrelevant in real luxury. Sales being equated to luxury, or rather desirability being equated to sales must also be coupled to available choices
    Of course it isn't. Cadillac has vehicles starting in the low to mid 30s, these aren't top-end luxury cars, and need to have a value portion to their equation. Cadillac plans on adding a sub-ATS and sub-XT5, so this is going to become even more pronounced in a few years. And that's not a bad thing, if they're excellent 30 grand luxury vehicles they can be a big boost to Cadillac's bottom line.

We're not taking Rolls, Bentley, and Maybach here, and as long as they plan to go even lower than they are today, I don't see how they can 'forget about pricing'.

Hidden Content

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 jamiepeterson2's Avatar
    Thanks

Cadillac redesigned several models to make them more appealing to younger customers, but the primary buyer continues to be older men. Unfortunately younger buyers tend to have lower incomes than the older men who currently prefer Mercedes or BMW. This means Cadillac is in a bit of a bind: their customers are loyal (60% would buy another Cadillac), but they are aging. 60% who purchase the Cadillac XTS are 65 or older. Sooner or later Cadillac must pursue new demographics because their primary customer base will no longer be around.

Cadillac's primary buyers may have the most discretionary money available to them, but that doesn’t mean much when saving is a struggle. If the 65 plus age demographic must keep working just to pay for healthcare or basic needs, then there isn’t much of a chance that they’re going to be able to afford a new Cadillac any time soon. From a younger viewpoint, Cadillac may be appealing, however young workers tend not to have high paying jobs, which means a Cadillac is out of their price range.

In order for Cadillac to alter their demographic profile, they must do two things: lower the cost of a vehicle so that it isn’t equal to a full year’s wages and target those who have a graduate degree.

Average selling price of a new Cadillac ranges from $46,000 to $54,000. Median earnings for young adults with a bachelor’s degree is $48,500. The average salary of a 25-34 year old worker with a master’s degree is about $59,600.

So, just who should Cadillac be targeting?
    SoHo-cialites in NYC who will never own a car?? JdN messed up big time here. I agree with his overall plan, but I think he is missing out on a few of the links to get there. Cadillac is just not relevant to the people he is intending to reach; and at the same time he is alienating his fertile field of faithful followers. If the tight rope breaks, he is a goner and so is Cadillac.
    Last edited by jamiepeterson2; 06-08-2016 at 12:37 PM.

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread Information