Buick Enclave Order To Production Ratio Is 7:1; 3rd Shift To Be Added At Plant

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buick Enclave Order To Production Ratio Is 7:1; 3rd Shift To Be Added At Plant

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,629 Times in 994 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Buick Enclave Order To Production Ratio Is 7:1; 3rd Shift To Be Added At Plant

Link: http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070724/gm_production.html?.v=1

GM Adds Shift at Crossover Plant, Cuts Production at Truck Plant

DETROIT (AP) -- General Motors Corp. will add a third shift and about 500 temporary workers at its plant near Lansing where it builds crossover vehicles, but it also is cutting jobs and pickup truck production at a plant in Pontiac.

GM said the Pontiac downsizing is due to a slumping pickup market nationwide, and the increase at the Delta Township plant near Lansing is due to rising demand for the Buick Enclave, Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia crossover vehicles.

About 500 temporary workers laid off earlier in the summer likely will get a chance to return to the Delta Township plant when the third shift is added Sept. 4, but the details must be worked out with the United Auto Workers, GM spokesman Tom Wickham said Tuesday.

The Delta Township plant, which now employs about 2,800 hourly workers, makes the eight-passenger crossover vehicles which came out in April. Sales of all three took off in June, GM said, with dealer orders for the Buick seven times more than the plant could produce on two shifts.

"There are places in the country that dealers haven't even seen one yet," said Pete Nico, GM's vehicle line director for the crossovers. "The trucks are pulling in, and the customers are walking away with them. When dealers do see a shipment arrive, they don't have anything to leave on their lots."

Sales of crossovers, which have sport utility vehicle attributes but are built on more fuel efficient car underpinnings, are growing rapidly as the market shifts away from gas-guzzling truck-based vehicles.

The Delta Township plant, which opened last year, can make just over 44 vehicles per hour, GM said.

Article continues at link.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Buick Enclave Order To Production Ratio Is 7:1; 3rd Shift To Be Added At Plant

A refreshing change in GM news, wouldn't you say?

Memo to all Buick dealers...let's not get crazy with markups, and whatever you do; NO FAKE CONVERTIBLE TOPS!!

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 genjy's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Buick Enclave Order To Production Ratio Is 7:1; 3rd Shift To Be Added At Plant

Quote Originally Posted by Perian
    A refreshing change in GM news, wouldn't you say?
    I wonder why people start liking Buick all of a sudden... very peculiar.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by genjy
    Because they finally put out a good looking, compelling product. It's amazing how that works.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 968 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Its all about product.

Doesn't matter what brand of product. Just produce a beautiful product priced very competitively and with good ride and handling there is no contest..

People just want to buy the great product!

Thats what its about. GM has hit a homerun with the Enclave. Now its also hitting homeruns with the CTS too..

Solstice ?Homerun!

Sky ? Homerun

2008 malibu? Homerun!

2009 Camaro? Homerun!

It just keeps running to be the worlds most successful...(even without the public perception from past efforts)

Thats why all of GM's products need to be homeruns on every launch!

I've been a pro GM guy for many years.

As an owner of a corvette Z06 its hard not to be!

These are all great products for their respective segments!
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

Thanks
    My Ride
    16 Traverse LT/ 08 Malibu 2LT

The Buick is a nice looking rig, I have seen a few of them on the road now. I prefer the Outlook but it's nice. I just hope adding the Chevy version doesn't over supply the market, I have a bad feeling about.

Thanks

Nice to hear some news about production. I still can't get over how popular the Enclave is. I wonder if the Outlook and Acadia are experiencing similar sales increases.

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Braunschweig, Germany, West Lafayette, IN, Chicago, IL
    Thanks

I wonder if any of these people coming in to buy the Buick Enclave decide to purchase something else from the Buick, Pontiac, GM dealership instead of ordering and waiting for the Enclave. Some people are impatient and I am curious to see if that led to an increase in sales for other cars on the lot.

Either way this is great news for Buick and GM and hopefully they both take it to heart. Stop making excuses, built a class leading car and it doesnt matter who you are, people will line up to buy it. I just hope GM doesnt get lazy and forget to keep updating the Enclave until its too late......

Thanks

Congrats to Buick and the Enclave.

Quote Originally Posted by dindak
    I just hope adding the Chevy version doesn't over supply the market, I have a bad feeling about.
    As for a Chevy 4th. This is what GM was avoiding. Dont start to do it again.

Althought adding more shifts for the enclave is good. Will GM just keep the shift to fill orders? Or start to churn out thousands more than needed and stock the PBG dealerships with Enclaves and have a fire sale at the end of the year?

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mcool's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06
    Its all about product.

Doesn't matter what brand of product. Just produce a beautiful product priced very competitively and with good ride and handling there is no contest..

People just want to buy the great product!

Thats what its about. GM has hit a homerun with the Enclave. Now its also hitting homeruns with the CTS too..

Solstice ?Homerun!

Sky ? Homerun

2008 malibu? Homerun!

2009 Camaro? Homerun!

It just keeps running to be the worlds most successful...(even without the public perception from past efforts)

Thats why all of GM's products need to be homeruns on every launch!

I've been a pro GM guy for many years.

As an owner of a corvette Z06 its hard not to be!

These are all great products for their respective segments!
    I'd add the 900s to that list despite the shrinking market. All the brands will face a smaller SUV and P/U market, but GM has fielded class-leading product that I am seeing more often on the road with each day. I'd add the G8 to the list of products I expect to be a hit... as long as GM gives it some market push it didn't provide for the GTO. On the G8's arrival, Pontiac needs to push all its ads with the G8 and Solstice dynamically outperforming cars that cost far more.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 mcool's Avatar
    Thanks

The Buick is a nice looking rig, I have seen a few of them on the road now. I prefer the Outlook but it's nice. I just hope adding the Chevy version doesn't over supply the market, I have a bad feeling about.
    If GM were taking less time with the Chevy Lambda, I too would be concerned. If it were a thoughtless rebadge of the Acadia, for example, I think we'd already have seen some images and mules running around, and the on-sale date would be sooner. As it is, I tend to think GM is going to exploit the best of the trio's engineering while providing the most-distinctive styling it can given the circumstances. They know they have a hit and the underpinnings are sound, so Chevy ought to spend some dough getting the product the most unique styling it can.

Thanks
    My Ride

I just hope adding the Chevy version doesn't over supply the market, I have a bad feeling about.
    The Chevrolet Traverse will source from Spring Hill and be in dealers in late 2009. Rumor has it that it will be a SWB, five and six passenger version of the Lansing triplets.

I wouldn't worry too much!

Thanks

amazing what happens when you make something people want
    please nice people in cyberspace dont buy that Toyota Hidden Content

1.8 Liter ECOTEC
    Braunschweig, Germany, West Lafayette, IN, Chicago, IL
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mcool
    I'd add the 900s to that list despite the shrinking market. All the brands will face a smaller SUV and P/U market, but GM has fielded class-leading product that I am seeing more often on the road with each day. I'd add the G8 to the list of products I expect to be a hit... as long as GM gives it some market push it didn't provide for the GTO. On the G8's arrival, Pontiac needs to push all its ads with the G8 and Solstice dynamically outperforming cars that cost far more.

The newer cars coming out of GM are either class leading or right there, the marketing for these vehicle is just horrible. I hope they do a better job pushing the G8 than they did the Aura. GM needs to get aggressive with their ads and make it blatantly obvious how much better their cars are then Toyota, Honda, BMW, or whatever the vehicle was built to compete against.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar SUPERBADD75's Avatar
    Thanks

wow.... build a compelling product and watch it fly off the lots. who would have thought?

if GM can continue building vehicles that stand out, that offer things consumers want (Bluetooth, Nav, video systems, safety. etc.), perform well, and look good doing it, then they'll survive. if they turn back to doing things the old GM way, they'll fade. good job so far, but let's keep it up.
    Acura: Because if you want a really nice Honda, there's only one choice.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." --Albert Einstein
    - 2008 Trailblazer LT3
    - 2009 Mustang V6 5M Premium/Pony Pack

SUPPORT AMERICA: BOYCOTT WAL-MART

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information