Breaking: Ford To Move Focus Production; Declining Compact Sales To Blame?

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Breaking: Ford To Move Focus Production; Declining Compact Sales To Blame?

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,598 Times in 1,250 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Breaking: Ford To Move Focus Production; Declining Compact Sales To Blame?

Automotive News

July 9, 2015

Article Quotes:

Ford Motor today said its Michigan Assembly Plant will stop building the Focus and C-Max in 2018, in a sign that the automaker sees slow demand for small cars to continue in the foreseeable future.

Ford did not say where it would move Focus and C-Max assembly or which vehicles would replace them at the plant in Wayne, Mich. Both the Focus and C-Max are due to be redesigned for the 2018 model year.

“We actively are pursuing future vehicle alternatives to produce at Michigan Assembly,” Ford said in a statement, “and will discuss this issue with UAW leadership as part of the upcoming negotiations.”

UAW leaders, who are scheduled to formally open talks with Ford on July 23, posted a letter to their members on Facebook saying they are “extremely confident” that Ford would assign a new product to Michigan Assembly and “maintain a full production schedule” at the plant.

"We currently are reviewing several possible options for the Focus and C-Max and will share details once our studies are complete,” Ford spokeswoman Kristina Adamski wrote in an email.

Because Michigan Assembly is one of Ford’s only U.S. plants with any significant excess capacity, the announcement likely means they are headed to Mexico or overseas.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    My Ride

Re: Breaking: Ford To Move Focus Production; Declining Compact Sales To Blame?

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    Because Michigan Assembly is one of Ford’s only U.S. plants with any significant excess capacity, the announcement likely means they are headed to Mexico or overseas.
    The Focus may be off to join Fiesta production in Mexico. The question thus remains: What does Wayne get...More F-150 production, or perhaps the reincarnation of the Ranger?

Ford can not ignore the success of the Colorado for much longer.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6 Premium Member mkwelbornjr's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2019 VW Golf R

Its a shame that Americans don't appreciate the Focus ST.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mkwelbornjr For This Useful Post:

AndreaCristiano (07-15-2015),b4z (07-09-2015),guionM (07-09-2015),JeffInDFW (07-09-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 richmond2000's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,025 Times in 1,430 Posts
    My Ride
    2014 RAM 1500 HEMI

The Focus may be off to join Fiesta production in Mexico. The question thus remains: What does Wayne get...More F-150 production, or perhaps the reincarnation of the Ranger?

OR could we be getting a "global" car NEW to US IE ECOSPORT?

Back!
    Thanks

The Focus may be off to join Fiesta production in Mexico. The question thus remains: What does Wayne get...More F-150 production, or perhaps the reincarnation of the Ranger.

100k units per year of a vehicle that will burn CAFE credits like Marlboros when the fuel economy belts start to tighten? Oh yeah, I'm betting Ford can ignore that kind of success pretty easily. Personally, I wouldn't expect to see Ranger on our shores unless and until the Territory shows up. Combined you have an argument, otherwise......

I'm betting you are correct on Focus moving to Mexico though. The UAW doesn't screw them together any tighter than they do south of the border, they just charge a lot more money for the trouble.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,709 Times in 982 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mkwelbornjr View Post
    Agree, the Focus leave under the shadows of the Civic Type-R/Si and Golf GTI.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

Evo69 (07-09-2015)

Back!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Stéphane Dumas View Post
    Agree, the Focus leave under the shadows of the Civic Type-R/Si and Golf GTI.
    I agree with the latter, but to be fair the GTi is a more 'mature' car and, as such, appeals to a broader audience IMO. As for the former.....The Civic Si has seen it's glory days come and go, also IMO.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to syr74 For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (07-11-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by syr74 View Post
    100k units per year of a vehicle that will burn CAFE credits like Marlboros when the fuel economy belts start to tighten? Oh yeah, I'm betting Ford can ignore that kind of success pretty easily. Personally, I wouldn't expect to see Ranger on our shores unless and until the Territory shows up. Combined you have an argument, otherwise.
    The Focus will become profitable with Mexican production, and with the margins on pickup trucks, Ford will figure out a way to deal with CAFE fines - perhaps as MBUSA does - just pay them and charge more. Note the gas guzzler tax on the Chevy SS for example.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

63impala (07-13-2015)

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Quote Originally Posted by mkwelbornjr View Post
    I like the car, but I believe that the gas tank is too small and the range per tank was unacceptable.

I thought that I read that there were big changes afoot with the Focus: AWD and expansion of the model line. I would love to see a new Bronco

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Burr For This Useful Post:

dbc30531 (07-10-2015),Dequindre (07-09-2015)

Back!
    Thanks

The Focus will become profitable with Mexican production, and with the margins on pickup trucks, Ford will figure out a way to deal with CAFE fines - perhaps as MBUSA does - just pay them and charge more. Note the gas guzzler tax on the Chevy SS for example.

I agree regarding Focus; in fact I was surprised when they moved Focus production to Wayne in the first place. I'm still skeptical on the mid-size pickup short of Territory coming over as well. Though, I have to say, I'm a little surprised Ford doesn't just replace the Explorer with a rebadged, U.S produced Everest (I said Territory initially, my apologies) and call it a day. There is very little to be lost there and quite a lot to be gained IMO.

3.0 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by richmond2000 View Post
    OR could we be getting a "global" car NEW to US IE ECOSPORT?
    It sure as hell won't be the Ecosport as currently sold. Ford need a new product from the ground up to compete in that segment in the U.S.. They are learning that lesson right now with the Ecosport in Europe - what works in third world countries doesn't work elsewhere.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 62Lincoln For This Useful Post:

jalberda (07-10-2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,596 Times in 965 Posts
    My Ride
    です

What a shame. And manufacturing was making a comeback!

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

If we get a new administration after 2016 that is not hell bent on climate change, CAFE rules will probably be changed. Ford is building a new plant in Mexico so my bet is production is going there.

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pontiacgt02 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (07-09-2015),Dequindre (07-09-2015),DetroitIron (07-10-2015),Ed753 (07-09-2015),JeffInDFW (07-09-2015),mbukukanyau (07-10-2015),TheCarGonzo (07-09-2015)

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

I'm thinking more F150 production or smaller than Escape SUV.

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Until the Colorado/Canyon sales have shown sustained success, I suspect Ford to leave the Ranger where it is at.

If we get a new administration after 2016 that is not hell bent on climate change, CAFE rules will probably be changed.
    When have you known an administration to soften CAFE rules? Ain't gonna happen. Future CAFE rules may not be so severe but existing CAFE rules will probably not change no matter what administration is in office.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shoot For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (07-11-2015),KingElvis (07-09-2015)

26. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information