Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York - Page 3

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,652 Times in 3,702 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Re: Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    Absolutely.
    GM needs to recognize why it failed in the market and put steps in placeto permanently rectify the problem.
    That's the sign of a well run business.
    Mgescuro, I think you need to sit down and draft a letter to this Man about Cadillac.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    Big mistake. Not many adults will want to buy a Sonic. Goofy name, goofy gauges, too small, etc etc.
    GM needs to wise up and wake up at the same time
    lol, reading that they don't want an SS version for the Malibu and the Cruze but a sport version of the Sonic was like waking up from a weird dream. It's like: "What!?".

I really hope GM won't turn into a comical company. I know the Sonic may have some potential for various reasons but ignoring the Cruze and Malibu in favor of a car that looks like a small jelly bean...really?
    AWD wagons
    The Opel Astra and VW Scirocco need to be in North America.
    Feeling Good by David Burns

How Greece voted NO to austerity:
    Hidden Content

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by germeezy1 View Post
    All of that is available on the Zeta platform...

Really, could you direct me to a North America dealer where I could test drive one?

Its only available if you can actually BUY one.

Quote Originally Posted by Buick61 View Post
    Has it really only been 7 years? We must be halfway through the second generation of the NA Zeta platform by now. Looks like I'm going out to the dealer to see the MCE on that RWD Buick sedan everyone's talking about!
    Ya and according to the latest interview with Mark Reuss...
    Unless the economics improve, we might have to wait 7 more.

What did Mark say?

It’s always a possibility. We look at that stuff like every week, we really do. The world changes so quickly that you never wanna be blind to how fast that changes and how you react to it.
    So three months ago, before gas prices spiked, might such a car have had better odds of seeing the light of day?

Exactly. That’s my point. You’re seeing the world change again. We’re gonna still have a lot of those big episodes around the world.
    Translate that into English... he is saying... Maybe, but not now, gas, the dollar and the economy are all an issue with this car...
    Last edited by Titanic; 05-03-2011 at 12:30 PM. Reason: merged consecutive posts
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 798 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fakeout View Post
    lol, reading that they don't want an SS version for the Malibu and the Cruze but a sport version of the Sonic was like waking up from a weird dream. It's like: "What!?".

I really hope GM won't turn into a comical company. I know the Sonic may have some potential for various reasons but ignoring the Cruze and Malibu in favor of a car that looks like a small jelly bean...really?
    The Cruze really needs a variety of Models-Coupe, hatch, SS or Sport Model.
    More importantly they have to keep the Cruze current and that means making some changes yearly if necessary. If the Sonic has the same exact engines as the Cruze that is a mistake. A sub-compact should not be faster than a Compact.
    So, now that the Sonic has the Cruze engines, the engines in the Cruze need to be improved. In 2012, NOT 2013

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Premium Member Extreme4x4's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,025 Times in 1,303 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Ford Explorer Sport

So, the competition for the ST Focus, will be the "Super" Sonic. The competition for the ST Fiesta, will be............... the "Super" Sonic. The competition for a hot Fusion model will be............... the "Super" Sonic.

Alrighty then.

Is AWD going to be an option for the Malibu, or do all midsize AWD buyers still only have Ford and Subaru to choose from??

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

I have no resentment.

My Vette and CTS meet and exceed my expectations.

JB
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Canuck's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    09 CTS 3.6DI AWD, 05 Envoy

Thanks for posting the interview. It is good to read Reuss's comments. I am happy he didn't share any surprises such as importing a Zeta sedan as a Chevy, or a RS Cruze.

Save the announcements for auto shows and when the cars are ready to be sold.

Zeta sedan rumors are rumors.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by steve333 View Post
    The Cruze really needs a variety of Models-Coupe, hatch, SS or Sport Model.
    More importantly they have to keep the Cruze current and that means making some changes yearly if necessary. If the Sonic has the same exact engines as the Cruze that is a mistake. A sub-compact should not be faster than a Compact.
    So, now that the Sonic has the Cruze engines, the engines in the Cruze need to be improved. In 2012, NOT 2013
    I don't object to the use of the same platform and engine in different cars. What I do find amazing for a large company like GM is if they say:
    We don't have a large RWD vehicle.
    We don't have a minivan.
    We don't have a compact, mid-size station or large wagon.
    We don't have a 2 seater convertible.
    We don't have an AWD CUV.
    We don't have a ...

I know they're going to say: "Oh, but there needs to be a business case for it. We now have to be a profitable company. We're responsible to our shareholders, government,..."

No minivan? Really? How about: "This sounds absolutely insane for a car company, please do something about it!" I mean even the decision not to bring Orlando in the US defies logic. What the hell is going to replace the HHR? And no panel version? I live close to a company that uses an HHR and a Pontiac Vibe to make deliveries etc. The Vibe is no longer sold and the HHR will be gone? People or even corporations have a use for these vehicles.

How about plugging those huge gapping holes instead of coming out with a Verano? OK, it might be sporty and quiet with a cool interior and exterior and all but cripes, we're getting out of the recession and it still looks like a crisis.
    AWD wagons
    The Opel Astra and VW Scirocco need to be in North America.
    Feeling Good by David Burns

How Greece voted NO to austerity:
    Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

Count me in now as one of the lifetime GM owners who have defected to the competition.

Except, by the time they get their product out the door (they're still maddeningly slow to market), the competition has moved on, leaving GM behind. Again. GM needs quantum leaps to keep its head up. Malibu seems to be that car. Except the exterior design is 3 years old.

Oh well. I'll sit on the sidelines, watching GM. But for now, Mercedes, Fiat, and Land Rover have more compelling product for me.
    The Malibu was introduced in 2008, and redesigned now for launch early next year. In this case, not so slow. Have you seen the car in person, or just passing judgment based on photo's? I saw it in person yesterday, and the photo's do not due the car justice. It is a truly handsome vehicle. The sculpted front end is awesome. Not to sunshine on anyones negafest, but the Malibu is a hot, totally modern, no excuses vehicle in person.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MalibuMan2010 View Post
    You won't be caught dead in a Regal GS.
    The Equinox LTX is too basic.
    Chevrolet has a negative image.
    The CTS Coupe is not luxury.

But...

a Pontiac G6, that fits you perfectly. Luxurious, Pontiac's positive image, not basic.

Or... if only you could get an Ion or Aura instead of a basic Cruze or Malibu.

Thanks for letting us know what GM's problem is.
    I think GM is definitely on the right path, with their new vehicles over the past few years like the Lambda Crossovers, the Equinox/Terrain, the Cruze, the Lacrosse/Regal, the current CTS and Malibu and of course the stunningly new Malibu but I'd like to see the new GM jump on issues right away instead of letting products stay for a few years with no changes or not add features that the competition has. I am talking about the lack of a rear center armrest in the current Malibu or a Navigation screen in that car and the Impala when those features are offered in the new compact Cruze. I find that so appalling.

Speaking of the Cruze, why would GM discontinue the rear center headrest on the 2012 Cruze when its offered by the competition ? How much of a weight savings can that be ? Why couldn't they find a weight savings somewhere else ? Don't cut visual things, find a weight savings in something hidden. I'd add back the rear center headrest and the rear center armrest on the Eco and find the weight savings somewhere else. Consumer Reports is ging to kill GM on this manuever.

4.6 Liter Northstar V8
    Thanks

No minivan? Really? How about: "This sounds absolutely insane for a car company, please do something about it!" I mean even the decision not to bring Orlando in the US defies logic. What the hell is going to replace the HHR? And no panel version? I live close to a company that uses an HHR and a Pontiac Vibe to make deliveries etc. The Vibe is no longer sold and the HHR will be gone? People or even corporations have a use for these vehicles.
    I think Ford hit the nail on the head with the Transit Connect. My friend has already bought 2 for his business and the employees love it as does the company that buys the gas. His beer distributorship's Transit Connects look much better than is competition's HHRs.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 798 Posts

I don't object to the use of the same platform and engine in different cars. What I do find amazing for a large company like GM is if they say:
    We don't have a large RWD vehicle.
    We don't have a minivan.
    We don't have a compact, mid-size station or large wagon.
    We don't have a 2 seater convertible.
    We don't have an AWD CUV.
    We don't have a ...

I know they're going to say: "Oh, but there needs to be a business case for it. We now have to be a profitable company. We're responsible to our shareholders, government,..."

How about plugging those huge gapping holes instead of coming out with a Verano? OK, it might be sporty and quiet with a cool interior and exterior and all but cripes, we're getting out of the recession and it still looks like a crisis.
    I agree, it seems as if they aren't even trying. They could have easily redone the HHR or at least bring the Cruze hatch or Orlando here. It boggles the mind.

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 'Vette Dude's Avatar
    Thanks

You know what I also resent? Every single brand that I've ever cared for or loved at GM has either been shut down or sold. I grew up on Pontiacs and Saturn.
    There is a LOT for me to resent at GM.

I won't be caught dead in a Buick. Chevy is to basic for me and has a negative image. I have no interests in GMC. And Cadillac isn't a luxury brand anymore.
    Pontiac and Saturn fit me perfectly.

I have no faith in their product pipeline. Certainly not Cadillacs. Buick is very dependent on the Chinese and the Chinese market, as they should be. I think the sky is the limit for them. But I still won't be caught dead in one.

I might seem like 1 man, but I my entire family is no longer GM. That's 4 aunts and 2 parents. They echo the same resentments. And look at the increasing number of imports over the years and the decreasing market share of GM. That didn't happen over night. GM has really alienated people.

It is a shame. But GM still has some deep problems that they current management hasn't bothered to tackle at this stage.
    I'm a realist.
    You know what, I drive a freaking Saturn Aura. I don't resent GM at all, the car is a less refined Chevy Malibu (But with the 3.5 Pushrod ). The only "unique" care they had really was the Astra. And that was a giant turd. Honestly GM shutting down Pontiac and Saturn had little effect on sales. Smart people realized that those two brands were built in their later years on Badge engineering.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 PA Dweller's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Extreme4x4 View Post
    Is AWD going to be an option for the Malibu, or do all midsize AWD buyers still only have Ford and Subaru to choose from??
    I get a very bad feeling GM is going to neglect to offer the AWD option on many of it's vehicles, once again the RWD fans will get more love....

Don't even get me started on the lack of high performance options in the Cruze and Malibu.
    Can you guess what he's going to do with the big fist? Hidden Content

2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC stratojet's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2002 Caddy View Post
    For the record, I like Mark, and I think he would make a fine CEO... The one quote that put it all in perspective was this one..

If you are in a company that does a reorg every year then you are in a world of hurt. Mark started work at GM in 1983... if he is speaking the truth (and I have no reason to doubt him) and GM has done a reorg/restructure/reduction/etc EVERY year since 1983... that explains A LOT... its amazing that they survived until 2009.
    I have worked for GM for the last 31 years and here's the chronology:

- 1981 : First crisis: all the new employees laid off : for a reason unknown I was spared

- 1982-1989 relative calm but many "reorgs" mostly caused by lunatic management who believed that our loss of market share was caused by our structure
    - In this period, we had countless motivation seminars, Wilson Learning and other consultants programs; It was the fad at the time. Costly and mostly useless. They were in the Saturn's vein.

-1991 another round of layoff , another crisis:
    GM was on the verge on bankruptcy. Many Zone offices closures.

- 1991 -2001: in this period, SUV's were king and saved GM . This was also the John Smale, Zorella Proter and Gamble philosophy, the power of the brand and all the BS.

- In this period, it was mostly business as usual, cutting cost in warranty, refusing repairs to irate customers; we were lead by the same military type management who liked to pretend that they had an open-door policy.

2001-2007: lots or retirements and hiring of new peoples. However, same stupidity of hiring College grads and MBA's without any interest or knowledge of the industry. Most of them are gone

2005 : Huge first quarter loss. Beginning of the end

2007: Wagoner presents his turnaround plan based on the GMT-900. Nothing is done to the core problems, legacy costs.

2009: Chapter 11 which really was necessary. Now GM has a chance. The only reason Ford escaped it is because the Planets were aligned and they could benefit from the two other companies going down. They were in a Dire strait themselves.

The last reorg was in 2009 and, from my point of veiw, I still believe that we could do the same job with less employees.

- The good signs are:
    1- Buzz words are still around: processes, defining moments, wow the customers, but at least the intention is to please the customers.
    2- Not one manager, not a single one dares to say insignificant words like synergy, teamwork, work as a team and all the BS.
    3- Everytime an old style manager tries to reintroduce the "Saturn"philosophy and rah-rah speeches, they are shot down by the employees.
    4- We do what we have to do for the customers. Our decision level is almost total.

We still have a long way to go. It will be one customer at the time. We have to admit that we will have to let go of some impossible to satisfy customers, which is not a bad thing. We should concentrate on the present and don't waste resources on chronic cases.
    Last edited by stratojet; 04-23-2011 at 11:06 AM.
    If you don't know what to tell your boss, do an action plan.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information