Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York - Page 12

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

Thanks

Re: Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

Mr. Reuss,

I have been away from these boards for a while due to time constraints with a five year old and a four month old keeping me busy (and tiring me out) and was stunned when I came across this thread.

Firstly, let me say that I am highly impressed that a member of top management at GM takes the time to peruse these forums. In my opinion, this forum is a rich source of feedback for yourself and GM as a whole. Those of us who are members here are generally by definition "GM heads" and passionate about GM, and it is that passion that will come to the forefront when GM does well, and just as much, if not moreso, when we feel GM is missing the boat on an issue. So thank you for taking the time to read what we have to say (both positive and negative).

I have owned GM cars since the day I got my very first car when I was 16 (a 1986 Cavalier). My grandfather worked his whole life for GM at the Fisher Body plant in Ewing NJ (since closed and demolished). I'm proud to say that out of all my family members I am the only one who has been loyal to GM.

Your team has done a great job bringing GM back from the abyss, both in terms of finances, and more importantly, the product itself. Along the lines of product, I read what I consider to be a disturbing article a couple of weeks ago: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42198926/ns/business-autos/

Mark, please tell us that under Mr. Akerson, we will NOT see a return to the type of inept marketing and product development that GM suffered through under Jack Smith and Ron Zarella. Please assure us that we will not see a return to blandly styled cars with gross (being kind) interiors with parts that feel like they will break at the drop of a hat. Please tell us that the passion that Rick Wagoner enabled Bob Lutz to bring to GM's product development will not become a thing of the past. I think it safe to say that we would never have seen cars like the CTS coupe, the Camaro, the new LaCrosse, Regal, Malibu, etc appear (at least in their current form) under Ron Zarella's overly focus grouped approach to styling.

The financial side is a critical one, as you well know, but in the long term, you won't have a healthy financial side without a healthy product side that drives the finances. Please don't allow finances to drive product development, allow product development to drive and enable financial success.

I wish you all the best, and thanks again for your work at GM and for taking the time to hear us out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,224 Times in 1,376 Posts

Mr. Reuss, Sorry for the delayed response on trucks, I would suggest GM change it’s truck strategy by offering GMC’s lineup throughout all brands and sell the Sierra and Denali as up-level trims at Chevrolet lots with the Silverado name restricted the Work, LS and LT.

LTZ models would become Sierra SLT and Denali would remain as is with the All Terrain Concept added and the Avalanche would become a GMC product. Chevrolet dealers would retain the Silverado name for as long as it remained viable.

Heavy Duty trucks would have their name changed to Kodiak and sold as a single GMC Kodiak lineup that would extend through Class 6.

Colorado would become Canyon with Denali and All Terrain models added to replace the H-3T with a new GMC Jimmy model added to replace the H3.

The Yukon and Yukon Denali and Yukon All Terrain would be offered at Chevrolet dealers as the Tahoe would transition to a Durango style Uni-Frame model that would be complimented by a GMC Envoy 5 passenger (Grand Cherokee) model with Cadillac getting the new Escalade in X5 and Cayenne (Escalade-V) versions.

The Acadia styling would change to a more SUV like silhouette like the Explorer while the Traverse and Enclave retained their current styling. A Lambda based Minivan would be created for Chevrolet and sold as either Astro or Venture with GM providing GM’s first RWD based “Global Van” made in-house with inspiration from the Mercedes Benz Vito van starting with a Safari sized offering with 2 larger sizes available.

Heavy Duty van tasks would be handled by the Express line that would also become “Global” with the next generation and Express models would become GMC products.

The Terrain and Granite would be offered at Chevrolet

After making GMC the “corporate Truck brand with it’s President responsible for marketing and P&L GM will have a more cohesive and profitable truck strategy that can be implemented quickly and allow changes like the Tahoe from BOF to Uni-frame easier and more profitable for GM. Same with the change in Acadia and offering the Terrain and Granite at all Chevrolet, Buick and Cadillac dealers wil give all dealers a “Common” truck base with only Cadillac retaining the SRX and Escalade as “Dealer Exclusives” for Stand Alone Cadillac dealers.

GM’s B.O.F. Truck lineup would ultimately become all GMC badged as:
    Canyon
    Canyon (All Terrain – H3T)
    Canyon Denali
    Sierra
    Sierra (All Terrain)
    Avalanche
    Denali
    Kodiak (All HD’s)
    B.O.F. SUV’s would be
    Jimmy (H3)
    Yukon
    Yukon (All Terrain – H2)
    Suburban
    Denali
    All other GM products would retain the brands name with only GMC products sold across all brands.

“Uniframe SUV’s
    Acadia
    Envoy
    Tahoe
    Denali
    Escalade

Crossovers
    Trax (GMC Panda)
    Chevrolet (CR-V/RAV4)
    Encore
    Granite
    Equinox
    Terrain
    SRX
    Traverse
    Enclave

Minivan-Van
    Rendezvous (FWD)
    Venture (FWD)
    Savanna (RWD)
    Express

GM cannot offer Chevrolet truck products at Buick or Cadillac dealers, but can offer GMC products at all dealers since you can move up market but not down and buyers would expect to see Chevrolet cars at these dealers and this issue is not a problem with GMC’s line since it is only Truck/SUV/Crossover.

This new strategy combines GM’s competitors strategies of “one truck brand” by offering “one brand “ GMC at across GM’s dealer base to maximize sales by utilizing GM’s broad and diverse dealer base enabling GM to easily add a more focused “Heavy Duty” Pickup line while establishing GMC as GM’s Medium Duty brand. Selling GMC products at all dealers maximizes sales of “Niche” products like the Jimmy and All Terrain Canyon, Sierra and Yukon models and eliminate the need for duplicate products.

Same with the Denali line, it will give Chevrolet dealers an established premium truck and SUV name for higher profits without creating their own line that may not succeed, and allow Cadillac to move the Escalade to a more fuel efficient platform.

Largest payback will be the ability to greatly expand sales of the highly successful Denali line giving Chevrolet dealers an established premium truck and SUV name for higher profits without the need or cost of creating it’s own. GM can profitably add vehicles like the Trax, Granite and Savanna into small niche markets as well as move popular products like the Acadia, Tahoe and Escalade to platforms that better fit future market realities.

Bottom line is overall Truck/SUV/Crossover sales will increase, the need to add duplicate vehicle drops significantly. Crossover and B.O.F. Truck/SUV lines will be managed by a single “Brand Manager” who can put better focus on the important B.O.F. Truck/SUV that will see diminishing retail sales in the future, putting more pressure on GM becoming more efficient today so that they will gain the most from future market changes.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,048 Posts
    My Ride
    2008 black c6 z51 m6 NPP

Digging my third vette, now a LS3 M6 Z51 with the cool NPP exhaust...as well as my 08 CTS AWD FE2 304hp ....

Hook up that upcoming ATS coupe with the 5th gen V8 and some kick butt performance...

I'll add that to the list of cars in my garage...

Keep up the great work and by the way...that buick verano 2.0 250 hp turbo's a real sleeper...

Cool ride starting out at 25 g's...

Just add to the next vette a dual clutch or MCT transmission with no torque convertor and I'll have to buy one..
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

O_Z
    2.4 Liter SIDI ECOTEC
    Thanks

I just serviced my X3 today, BMW dealership is nice, but to get coffee from POS vending machine you have to ask token from cashier!
    No espresso, no even f...g cookies

I will take my Cadillac dealer with mocha, espresso and fresh cookies any day
    But I am afraid that ATS won’t be soon enough for me

Thanks
    My Ride
    1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Quote Originally Posted by markreuss View Post
    With a humble, customer focus.
    This is definately the right approach, how many other companies send an engineer to a customer's house?

GM needs to add a minivan to it's lineup. Most minivan households own more than one vehicle. By not offering a minivan, GM is losing not one, but two, sales in each of these households. If the minivan is a Kia for example, chances are the second car in the house will be a Kia as well.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 LeSabre's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gtjeff View Post
    This is definately the right approach, how many other companies send an engineer to a customer's house?

GM needs to add a minivan to it's lineup. Most minivan households own more than one vehicle. By not offering a minivan, GM is losing not one, but two, sales in each of these households. If the minivan is a Kia for example, chances are the second car in the house will be a Kia as well.
    Agreed!

The "Traverse" should have been a minivan!!

!!!!!
    IF It's A Chevrolet & RWD, Don't ride in it!!!

ALL Chevy's NEED to be FWD/F-AWD!!!

If it's a Toyota/Lexus/Scion, Don't ride in/drive it!!

__________________________________________________ __

Thanks
    My Ride
    012 Vette 012 Volt 010 Equinox

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Show-Me View Post
    Dear Mr. Reuss:

With a longer more comprehensive warranty, I would be a buyer again. Thank you for the work you have done, and most of us are pulling for you to lead New GM into the direction it needs to go!
    You want a powertrain warranty longer LONGER than 5 yrs/100,000 miles? Are you serious?
    Don't think Meat, Throw the ball - Crash Davis

10. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread Information