Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 69Firebird400's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    '13 S6, '13 Sienna, '17 Q5

Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss, President, GM North America
    Autosavant

Reuss went on to confirm that another GM bad habit was being put to rest: the exposure of production cars, or near-production cars, two years ahead of their on-sale date. He cited the 2013 Malibu as an example of the situation going forward; the car will be at dealers in less than a year, in both of the versions shown in New York. When I asked if he was referring to the likes of the Camaro concept, which debuted in January 2006, he confirmed that showing a car in early 2006 that turns into a 2010 model-year vehicle was problematic. “It’s this goofy integrity game we play with the public and the media,” he said. “We’re just not gonna do that anymore.”
    ---
    When he first answered the “which GM car developed under your leadership are you most proud of” question, his first answer was the CTS-V coupe. But then he quickly threw in local Cruze production, because he clearly feels an attachment to Australia from his time managing Holden.
    ---
    Will Reuss’ position at the top of GM North America’s org chart, coupled with his affinity for Holden, mean that we may someday see a spiritual successor to the G8 with a Chevrolet badge, a large rear wheel drive performance sedan? He couldn’t discuss future product, of course, but did note

"It’s always a possibility. We look at that stuff like every week, we really do. The world changes so quickly that you never wanna be blind to how fast that changes and how you react to it."

Continued at the link
    Last edited by Titanic; 04-22-2011 at 12:29 PM.
    Hidden Content
    2013 Audi S6 4.0T quattro
    2013 Toyota Sienna XLE AWD

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 2,108 Posts
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Re: Autosavant Interviews Mark Reuss in New York

Quote Originally Posted by Reuss
    There’s hatred of this company, and I’m very realistic about that. There’s people that don’t agree with the assistance the government gave to us. There’s people who don’t trust the company because of prior customer experiences with the company. I see it every day.

Count me in now as one of the lifetime GM owners who have defected to the competition.

Simply put, GM doesn't make a car I want. It comes close, but my standards are higher than what GM is willing/able/capable of putting on the road. The last dealings I had with local San Francisco Bay Area Cadillac dealerships were appalling. Why would I ever want to return to GM after such treatment. Especially when the competition has better dealership and better trained personnel?

I resent GM for many things. I resent them for still being around. They should be a dead company. Its leadership had its collective head up its ass, and I think the jury is still out on its current leadership. Ford is the American car company to look up to. They did it right. They made the necessary cuts in order to survive. GM did the same cuts -- but only with a gun to its head. GM is the prime example of what NOT to do in business. I'm still not convinced GM is doing enough still.

But, I see GM is trying. And trying hard. But for cars I'm interested in -- 1) Premium convertible (doesn't exist at GM), 2) City car (doesn't exist at GM), 3) Premium mid-sizer (doesn't exist at GM), 4) Premium compact/mid CUV (SRX = Hell to the NO) -- GM just doesn't provide what I need. And that's too bad.

At times, I think GM is still merely benchmarking what the competition is TODAY. Except, by the time they get their product out the door (they're still maddeningly slow to market), the competition has moved on, leaving GM behind. Again. GM needs quantum leaps to keep its head up. Malibu seems to be that car. Except the exterior design is 3 years old.

Oh well. I'll sit on the sidelines, watching GM. But for now, Mercedes, Fiat, and Land Rover have more compelling product for me.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 Quickening's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    Cadillac of my choosing

Oddly enough. My local Cadillac dealership might keep me in the GM fold due to how absolutely amazing they are. I tried out the new Saab dealership in town, that is at the Jaguar/Maseratti/Ferrari dealership. And their service was piss poor and did not come close to the level of service that my Cadillac/ex-Saab dealership offers.

Right now I have a 2011 CTS loaner and I'm loving it.
    Hidden Content

2013 Cadillac ATS, Cadillac demo...
    Past: 2012 Range Rover Evoque, 2009 Cadillac CTS, 2004 Saab 9-3 Aero, 1985 Mercedes-Benz 300D

5. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

R2-D2 Astromech Droid bballr4567's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,671 Times in 2,632 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus

Sigh.

Oh well, screw GM for trying to change. The new products coming out now were in the pipeline before the global recession but I guess its GM fault for not seeing it like 90% of other businesses as well. Hell, even the XTS would of been in development in 09-10 as well. The only product that we have word of that is seriously brand new is the ATS. Got to blame the government on that one right? Might as well.

I guess GM should offer every single vehicle it can in every single segment. Lets have 27 cars with 4 different variants in each showroom. I guess replacing the Malibu in 5 years isnt enough for you either. It should of been here 2 years ago.

MG, I understand your resentment but seriously, pick your battles man. Blaming GM for not offering a car you want when they are pretty segment specific is pretty iffy to me.

Evil, evil corporations.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
    Sigh.

Oh well, screw GM for trying to change. The new products coming out now were in the pipeline before the global recession but I guess its GM fault for not seeing it like 90% of other businesses as well. Hell, even the XTS would of been in development in 09-10 as well. The only product that we have word of that is seriously brand new is the ATS. Got to blame the government on that one right? Might as well.

I guess GM should offer every single vehicle it can in every single segment. Lets have 27 cars with 4 different variants in each showroom. I guess replacing the Malibu in 5 years isnt enough for you either. It should of been here 2 years ago.

MG, I understand your resentment but seriously, pick your battles man. Blaming GM for not offering a car you want when they are pretty segment specific is pretty iffy to me.

Evil, evil corporations.
    You know what I also resent? Every single brand that I've ever cared for or loved at GM has either been shut down or sold. I grew up on Pontiacs and Saturn.
    There is a LOT for me to resent at GM.

I won't be caught dead in a Buick. Chevy is to basic for me and has a negative image. I have no interests in GMC. And Cadillac isn't a luxury brand anymore.
    Pontiac and Saturn fit me perfectly.

I have no faith in their product pipeline. Certainly not Cadillacs. Buick is very dependent on the Chinese and the Chinese market, as they should be. I think the sky is the limit for them. But I still won't be caught dead in one.

I might seem like 1 man, but I my entire family is no longer GM. That's 4 aunts and 2 parents. They echo the same resentments. And look at the increasing number of imports over the years and the decreasing market share of GM. That didn't happen over night. GM has really alienated people.

It is a shame. But GM still has some deep problems that they current management hasn't bothered to tackle at this stage.
    I'm a realist.

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) germeezy1's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Everyone has had bad experiences with an automaker , but I personally evaluate it based on was it for the majority good. At this point I agree that the Cadillac dealer experience in certain ways makes me miss my Lexus. I have owned many GM cars over the years and 5 Cadillacs my dad drove Cadillacs and Chevrolet trucks but my loyalty is to the best vehicle I deem that fits me and my family's needs.

I owned in order a

1995 STS
    2000 STS
    2002 DTS
    2005 CTS 3.6

and now a 2009 Escalade

I have had issues with all of them at some point....head gaskets and ECU issues in the Northstars....3.6 with electronic throttle issues...and transmission shifting issues in the Escalade. But as a whole I consider my experience good and quite frankly I felt that each of the cars was the best for what I wanted at that particular time in my life.

GM moving forward is doing some great things but they as well as Ford need to work on the dealership experience because that is what will cost them customers moving forward. Simply put Cadillac and Lincoln send people to your local Lexus dealer , run your loaner car program and customer service exactly as they do. No more dirty service wait areas if you plan on retaining customers. No more 3 or 4 year old Cadillacs or other brand loaner cars to service customers.

The Escalade is good in so many areas, ride quality, amazing looks , powerful yet smooth engine. But it needs improvement in many as well, including the interior and the leather quality. One thing I will say about Lexus is that they pay attention to the small details. My RX400h was a $50k car and its leather car far shaded the Escalade. Attention to detail was much better ....lighted sill plates...ambient lighting ....tilting and sliding 2nd row.

Its the details, just the details that hold GM back in many areas. GM has given me plenty of pleasant surprises such as the whole Buick lineup IMO. The Corvette wow, its so good in so many ways...just fix the seats GM and make the C7 even better! GM has so many bright spots and I feel moving forward that I can look forward to a much better car company and for every brand.

Thanks
    My Ride

Wait, you want a Land Rover or Mercedes yet Pontiac and Saturn fit you perfectly? Where do you think Saturn and Pontiac were going in the next 5 years?

You are right though. GM has alienated people but so has every other single car maker. I doubt I will EVER step into a Toyota, Nissan or Honda dealership. Ever. Why? My family has been wronged by them as well. In my immediate family (24 people) there are ZERO foreign vehicles. The most recent purchase has been a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Your problem is that you are driven by what people around you think. Although your part of the world thinks like that there are also millions of others who think the exact opposite. Is something wrong with that? Nah, not really if you are really into that image thing. I'll gladly drive my POS Pontiac. Why? Because its a great car for ME. I buy my cars for what I want. Not to impress a single person.

But alas, Ruess is a great fit for GM. He is certainly passionate about vehicles and has the right business mind as well. We can only hope he becomes even more of a leader in the next year or so.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    Thanked 3,234 Times in 1,933 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Quickening View Post
    Oddly enough. My local Cadillac dealership might keep me in the GM fold due to how absolutely amazing they are. I tried out the new Saab dealership in town, that is at the Jaguar/Maseratti/Ferrari dealership. And their service was piss poor and did not come close to the level of service that my Cadillac/ex-Saab dealership offers.

Right now I have a 2011 CTS loaner and I'm loving it.
    Wow. I had to double check your member name. I'm glad you're at least considering a GM.

My Cadillac dealer is fantastic. The service department is the best. Friends tghat own newer, far moe costly Mercedes are envious.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

Quote Originally Posted by megeebee View Post
    Wow. I had to double check your member name. I'm glad you're at least considering a GM.

My Cadillac dealer is fantastic. The service department is the best. Friends tghat own newer, far moe costly Mercedes are envious.
    My dealer is fantastic in some areas but piss poor in others. Non Cadillac loaner cars and 3 or 4 year old used Cadillacs do not make me feel warm and fuzzy. They also scratched my Escalade and had to rewax it but its still noticeable in some areas. But I will say when there is a service issue they are right on it and don't ask questions they immediately fix the problem.

Wait, you want a Land Rover or Mercedes yet Pontiac and Saturn fit you perfectly? Where do you think Saturn and Pontiac were going in the next 5 years?

You are right though. GM has alienated people but so has every other single car maker. I doubt I will EVER step into a Toyota, Nissan or Honda dealership. Ever. Why? My family has been wronged by them as well. In my immediate family (24 people) there are ZERO foreign vehicles. The most recent purchase has been a 2011 Grand Cherokee Limited.

Your problem is that you are driven by what people around you think. Although your part of the world thinks like that there are also millions of others who think the exact opposite. Is something wrong with that? Nah, not really if you are really into that image thing. I'll gladly drive my POS Pontiac. Why? Because its a great car for ME. I buy my cars for what I want. Not to impress a single person.

But alas, Ruess is a great fit for GM. He is certainly passionate about vehicles and has the right business mind as well. We can only hope he becomes even more of a leader in the next year or so.
    Well said, I drive an Escalade so you can probably understand that I agree with you. For some people its too brash and gaudy but I could care less what people think.

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Pontiac made awesome looking sporty cars. It's GM's own damn fault they ended up being Chevy rebadges.
    Saturn would be my choice for a City car. It was also my first car, so I admittedly have a very soft spot for Saturn.

Oh I totally understand. Yet history will see it (and does see it) as the great defection from GM. And every B-School case study will see it the same way. GM's arrogance led to its demise. GM forgot about the customer. GM forgot its market. GM forgot how to make its product.

I never liked Toyota. I've never bothered setting foot in a Toyota dealership. Many of my friend's Nissans have turned to *****, that it would take an act of god to get my in one. I love how Mazda is reinventing itself, but a lot of that had to do with a big push from Ford. And I'm in awe by what Hyundai is doing. Another generation of cars, and Hyundai will be a major juggernaut.

In my immediate and extended family, there is only 1 domestic car remaining -- an SL2. And its days are numbered. It will most likely be replaced by a GLK.

There was a point in my life, not too long ago, where I could give a rats ass what people thought. I bought a Saab for crying out loud!! I even defended Cadillacs until about 2007.
    But, this is a case where the grass really is greener on the other side of the fence.

Start experiencing other cars. My gosh, the new Fords are amazing. What they did in such a short period of time is astonishing.

One can hope. But I'm hoping for a leader at GM that is more about action rather than talk. There is more cleaning that needs to be done at GM. IMHO, the jury is still out on Reuss.

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,587 Times in 3,669 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

Quote Originally Posted by mgescuro View Post
    You know what I also resent? Every single brand that I've ever cared for or loved at GM has either been shut down or sold. I grew up on Pontiacs and Saturn.
    There is a LOT for me to resent at GM.

I won't be caught dead in a Buick. Chevy is to basic for me and has a negative image. I have no interests in GMC. And Cadillac isn't a luxury brand anymore.
    Pontiac and Saturn fit me perfectly.

I have no faith in their product pipeline. Certainly not Cadillacs. Buick is very dependent on the Chinese and the Chinese market, as they should be. I think the sky is the limit for them. But I still won't be caught dead in one.

I might seem like 1 man, but I my entire family is no longer GM. That's 4 aunts and 2 parents. They echo the same resentments. And look at the increasing number of imports over the years and the decreasing market share of GM. That didn't happen over night. GM has really alienated people.

It is a shame. But GM still has some deep problems that they current management hasn't bothered to tackle at this stage.
    I'm a realist.
    At least Give Mark credit for recognizing you exist.

Thanks
    My Ride

As for the other car makers, Id love to try out a new Mustang but cant find a dealer in my area that will take me serious enough when I pull up in my G8 to let me take a test drive. They are for "serious" customers only.

Im still waiting for an R/T Charger to show up on a lot so I can take one for a drive.

The ATS is also on my radar.

Other than that, Im really open to any car that can give me the driving feel of the G8 while being more frugal. I dont need the speed but if my daily commute stays under 10 miles a day, I will gladly take it.

Just for the record, Ive owned 7 GMs (2 Chevys, 4 Pontiacs, 1 GMC), 1 VW, 1 Nissans and 2 Toyotas.
    Hidden Content

Hers:
    2020 Palisade SEL

Thanks
    My Ride
    E350, 9-5 Aero

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    At least Give Mark credit for recognizing you exist.
    Absolutely.
    GM needs to recognize why it failed in the market and put steps in placeto permanently rectify the problem.
    That's the sign of a well run business.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 2002 Caddy's Avatar
    Thanks

For the record, I like Mark, and I think he would make a fine CEO... The one quote that put it all in perspective was this one..

My whole career, every year, you were given an assignment to either restructure, reorganize, reduce, or exit.
    I have gone through a few "re-orgs" in my life... Most times the company was better for it... but EVERY-TIME during the re-org... NOTHING gets done... all work grinds to a halt. No one takes on any projects or work for fear that the new project might not be one of the ones that the "new" boss supports.

Confusion, Chaos and Disorder reign supreme during re-orgs you do them, when you must, and then you move on... Normally it take 2 sometimes 3 years to fully recover from a re-org.

If you are in a company that does a reorg every year then you are in a world of hurt. Mark started work at GM in 1983... if he is speaking the truth (and I have no reason to doubt him) and GM has done a reorg/restructure/reduction/etc EVERY year since 1983... that explains A LOT... its amazing that they survived until 2009.
    Last edited by 2002 Caddy; 04-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.
    Proposed Cadillac Tag Lines...
    GM's "Back to the Future" Division,
    GM's Deja Vu Division,
    Cadillac is Truck.
    Cadillac is Cadence!
    Cadillac, you have to crawl before you walk,
    Cadillac V8? Whats a V8?
    Cadillac, the potential of mixed feelings!
    The New Cadillac Flagship: The Chevy Corvette.
    Proposed Volt Tag Line..
    People who don't like the Volt haven't driven one, and
    People who hate the Volt listen to too much talk radio.

Thanks
    My Ride
    FORD

I like GM but even though I prefer Cadillacs I am not angry at GM. Simply because if when the time comes for a new car if they don't have the car that fits my needs I will buy the one that does regardless of the brand.

18. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information