25 Fun Sports Cars That Are Surprisingly Cheap

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum Ė General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 25 Fun Sports Cars That Are Surprisingly Cheap

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 894 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Driving a sports car doesn't have to be reserved for people with a lot of money to spend. Here are some cheap sports cars to try.
    BY R&T STAFF
    APR 4, 2019
    Road & Track

Sometimes they have high running costs, but for less than the cost of a lot of economy sedans, you can probably afford to buy a sports car. Here are some of the best.

Pontiac Solstice / Saturn Sky
    If you like the idea of a Miata or S2000, but want to buy American, look no further than the Pontiac Solstice or Saturn Sky. They're just as fun to drive, and can be had for reasonable prices.
    Pontiac GTO
    The Pontiac GTO's looks may not be for everybody, but it's hard to hate an LS V8 sending power to the rear wheels via a manual transmission. Whether it be the early LS2 car or the later LS3 variant, you're gonna have a good time behind the wheel.
    Chevrolet Corvette
    For the money, few cars offer as much performance as the Chevy Corvette. Prices on C5 Corvettes have come down a good bit, and you can get C4s for very little money. How can you say no to an '80s and '90s icon like this?
    CONTINUE AT LINK ABOVE
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

2. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

GMI Staff Member Premium Member nadepalma's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,776 Times in 894 Posts
    My Ride
    2007 Ford Fusion

Re: 25 Fun Sports Cars That Are Surprisingly Cheap

Some good products on the list. Besides from the GM objects listed above, there's quite a few decent cheap, second hand thrills to be had.

Ironically, sometimes such products are actually "better" and "more attractive" as used bargains than they were the first time around. The Chrysler Crossfire may have been an SLK redux, but it was too expensive when it was new. Used, though, it might make an ideal small RWD tossable coupe to play around with. Same could be true for older Vettes, MR2s, Porsches, Miatas, and the like.
    "La vita Ť come un albero di Natale..c'Ť sempre qualcuno che ti rompe le palle!"

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nadepalma For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (05-23-2019)

Thanks
    My Ride
    Monaro converted GTO; '69 442

Iím not sure that there are actually 25 ďcheapĒ sports cars left.

I wouldnít really consider an 04-06 GTO to be cheap. A decent LS2 car still costs about 10k on the low end. I paid 28k for my car...back in Ď06 and it was new! 10k seems to me to be a pretty expensive 13+ year old used car. It would worry me a bit to buy one now; the Australian car manufacturing shutdown is only going to make it harder to get parts. Same goes for the G8 and SS. Too bad, because theyíre all such great cars. Unfortunately, I think weíll see a lot of attrition as a fender bender can total them at where theyíre valued combined with what the price of repair parts plus the part out value is.

Realistically, I think prices for anything sports car have gone out of control. There is hardly anything with an LS engine that seems inexpensive anymore. Prices on LS1 F-bodies have risen in recent years. There are still some deals to be had, but most that are at all cheap are pretty clapped out. I think a big chunk of the value is that an LS engine particularly when paired with a manual trans has a lot of value as a swap for older cars. The rear transmission and its difficulties in swaps may be part of the reason why C5s are a bit left out on the rising values, although C5 Z06s still command a kings ransom.

You gotta look pretty hard to find things that are truly cheap. C4s still are, but I think some the later ones have gone up some. The earlier ones just arenít fast by any modern standard and are still very cheap. Iíve actually seen some in junkyards. LT1 F-bodies are probably about the least expensive now, as 3rd gens have started to gain collector value. Same goes for Fox body Mustangs, still not too bad, but not dirt cheap, certainly. Probably the cheapest would be the SN95 5.0s, which have generally been unloved. The early 4.6 cars are also cheap, but theyíre not fast and generally lack the potential of the older SBF cars, at least on any sort of budget. New Edge Mustangs arenít that expensive, save the Terminators, but the GTs also arenít that fast. The S197s seem pretty expensive to me, but are a bit less that similar GTOs. I think the LS engine is worth paying the extra for, but a 3 valve GT at least isnít a terrible performance car. That said, the Mustang GT really wasnít truly fast until 2011, and theyíre still $$.

At some point I have to wonder when is just worth it to buy new and get a warranty and not have 10 year old car problems. I also wonder if the bubble is going to burst at some point, or if itís a new normal where the 25 year rule of car values no longer applies.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to chris442 For This Useful Post:

377Z (05-22-2019)

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by nadepalma View Post
    Some good products on the list. Besides from the GM objects listed above, there's quite a few decent cheap, second hand thrills to be had.

Ironically, sometimes such products are actually "better" and "more attractive" as used bargains than they were the first time around. The Chrysler Crossfire may have been an SLK redux, but it was too expensive when it was new. Used, though, it might make an ideal small RWD tossable coupe to play around with. Same could be true for older Vettes, MR2s, Porsches, Miatas, and the like.
    I was looking for a Saturn Sky, but found a "Red" 2005 Crossfire convertible in my neighborhood. It has 70K miles, but looks like new, with new tires and top. Everything works except for the tire pressure monitor. Under $7,000. It's fun to drive and a lot faster than I thought. It's a limited with red exterior and gray interior. The only problem is I have to go over 62 mph to activate the rear wing. Needless to say, I spend a lot of time with the rear wing in the up position. It's my 7th Red Car.
    -
    The two enemies of the people are criminals and the government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution, so the second will not become the legalized version of the first - Thomas Jefferson
    -

ksr
    6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8 ksr's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,416 Times in 1,128 Posts

The 1990-96 300ZX was to me by far and away the nicest of the Z cars. I used to research them but never purchased. They can be had for what I thought was a stunningly low amount.
    Drives a 2019 Cadillac ATS Coupe and a 1988 Pontiac Trans Am GTA.

In the past, I've had a 5th gen Camaro, a CTS sedan and coupe, two 3rd gen Firebird Formulas, a convertible 4th gen Trans Am, a Reatta, a couple of Monte Carlos, an Avenger coupe, a couple of Cavalier hatchbacks, a Saturn SC1, and a Cherokee.

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Sad, only 3 GM cars make the list? How about any older Camaro or Pontiac G8

11. The Following User Says Thank You to joey For This Useful Post:

Z Fury (05-25-2019)

2.8 Liter Turbocharged V6
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    Sad, only 3 GM cars make the list? How about any older Camaro or Pontiac G8
    To me the G8 is a stunning vehicle that is suffering from an interior that isn't aging well and being an Australian car which will make cosmetic repairs very costly.

I do agree on the Camaro though. But I am biased as I still own one.
    Current Vehicles:
    1999 Tahoe 4x4 - daily driver
    1999 Camaro Z28 - bolt-on weekend vehicle
    2015 Equinox LTX - wife's car

13. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements