21 Vehicle Nameplates Go Down For '21

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Thread: 21 Vehicle Nameplates Go Down For '21

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,219 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

The Detroit News
    October 28, 2020

Acura RLX: A perfectly anonymous car with an equally anonymous name, the RLX is a stark reminder of how far Acura's product development and marketing has fallen from the excellence established by the Legend.
    Chevrolet Impala

Alfa Romeo 4C: Now that America has become a nation of SUV-loving truck drivers, where dreary practicality triumphs over sheer fun, pure sports cars like the fun-to-drive 4C are sadly overlooked also-rans.

BMW i8: You'd think a gas-electric hybrid as attractive as the BMW i8, with handling to match, would succeed. But $147,500 for a car powered by the Mini's three-cylinder engine? Really?

Buick Regal: In the pantheon of cool Buick names like Invicta and Electra, this Opel import with the blue-hair name was doomed from the start, although its remarkably unremarkable personality didn't help.

Cadillac CT6: With a name only a lifeless marketer would love, this flagship sedan was sabotaged by tepid styling that lacked the Escalade's unmitigated swagger, and a cabin far too cheap for its station.

Chevrolet Impala: While car buyers think nothing of buying an enormous SUV, they think twice about buying a large car, even one as good as the Impala. That said, a more inspired design would have helped.

Chevrolet Sonic: With exorbitant gasoline prices now a distant memory, this funky and fun little hatchback lost its raison d'etre. Its platform lives on, however, in the Chevrolet Trax and Buick Encore.

Dodge Grand Caravan: Cheap to buy and very practical, the end has come for this minivan after 35 years as Dodge focuses on performance-oriented products. Its replacement, the Chrysler Voyager, is now on sale.

Dodge Journey: Outclassed in every respect except for its low price and archaic Ultradrive four-speed automatic transmission, this sad relic of the DaimlerChrysler era is thankfully seeing its journey come to an end.

Ford Fusion: Ford may blame lack of buyer interest with killing the Fusion, the absence of any meaningful update for years has much more to do with it. A sad, self-inflicted end to a well-respected and popular car.

Honda Civic Coupe: While the whole sport compact scene grew out of cars like the Civic Coupe, its time has come and gone, as buyers are unwilling to put up with an iota of inconvenience in the name of fashion.

Honda Fit: Its beauty was its utility, which was far larger than its size suggested thanks to the flexibility of its seating system. And it was unexpectedly fun to drive, something rarely said of cheap utilitarian cars.

Hyundai Elantra GT: Styled and engineered in Europe, the five-door Elantra hatchback never enjoyed the popularity it deserved, despite U.S. car buyers buying hatchbacks by the millions, as long they are on an SUV.

Jaguar XE: Like the X-Type before it, this entry-level British sports sedan never possessed the requisite grace, pace and space needed to steal buyers away from the BMW 3-Series.

Jaguar XF Sportbrake: If you thought that the idea of a Jaguar station wagon seemed a bit off, you're not alone, even though this was a fabulously fun-to-drive alternative to the overwhelming overabundance of SUVs.

Lexus GS: Always the middle child, never as popular as the Lexus LS or ES sedans, Toyota President Akio Toyoda wanted to kill the GS in 2011. Executives saved the car, but sales never improved. Now, Akio gets his wish.

Lincoln Continental: Developed using a front-wheel drive Ford Fusion platform to save money, and lacking the requisite aura of the concept car that foreshadowed it, the Continental's fate was sealed from the start.

Lincoln MKZ: This gussied-up Ford Fusion with a crummy name was bound to exit once the Fusion did. Aside from seniors who liked nabbing a Lincoln at a low price, the MKZ was never special enough.

Mercedes-Benz SL: Mercedes-Benz has killed the two-seat SL-Class, but online reports speculate that the renowned roadster could return as a 2+2 for 2022, built by Mercedes-AMG.

Mercedes-Benz SLC: With buyers ignoring everything except SUVs, this cut-rate convertible is circling the block for the last time, still in need of the upscale elan, space, and build quality that its larger siblings possess.

Toyota Yaris: Americans hate subcompacts, especially when gas prices are low. So even though this disguised rendition of the Mazda2 is fun to drive, downsized cars are DOA.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

buildacariwant (11-01-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

News Contributor Premium Member Perian's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,462 Times in 1,219 Posts
    My Ride
    2017 Jaguar F-Type (Manual)

Re: 21 Vehicle Nameplates Go Down For '21

Chevrolet Impala: While car buyers think nothing of buying an enormous SUV, they think twice about buying a large car, even one as good as the Impala. That said, a more inspired design would have helped.
    This one hurts. The first General Motors product ever to receive an almost perfect score from Consumer Reports, and no one at corporate headquarters cared. The Impala should have been refreshed, and the CR stellar performance should have been advertised over and over (like Mazda does with its high scoring vehicles).

Actual Mazda USA advertisement:

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Perian For This Useful Post:

1999 White C5 Coupe (10-30-2020),buildacariwant (11-01-2020),criticalmass (11-02-2020),DequindreToo (10-31-2020),eklauss (10-30-2020),Greg Burr (10-30-2020),TruckMan (10-30-2020)

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 963 Posts

As for the Grand Caravan, the name still survive in Canada. Chrysler will use that nameplate instead of Voyager in the Great White North.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Stéphane Dumas For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-31-2020)

8. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar BORG's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,232 Times in 577 Posts
    My Ride
    2019 Lincoln Nautilus

No amount of investment and advertising is going to convince people to chose an Impala over a bunch of similarly priced Crossovers.

I do think Ford is prematurely killing Fusion and MKZ, but I get why and think it would have happened eventually anyway.

Continental had tragic timing, and ultimately too subtle for its own good. But at least they didn't spend too much developing it.

Finally somebody acknowledged that Regal was a stupidly geriatric name to use on the the Opel Insignia. Who do they hope to attract by calling it Regal, Grandmas that had fond memories of the 80's and 90s rolling couches?
    Last edited by BORG; 10-30-2020 at 02:08 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BORG For This Useful Post:

richmond2000 (10-31-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Wow, I didn't realize the Mercedes SL was on the chopping block. I'd think they'd keep that just as a halo car.

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 tripowergto Jan2003's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,490 Times in 615 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post
    Finally somebody acknowledged that Regal was a stupidly geriatric name to use on the the Opel Insignia. Who do they hope to attract by calling it Regal, Grandmas that had fond memories of the 80's and 90s rolling couches?
    I guess you never got the memo that all the cool kids that needed cheap reliable used wheels referred to it as the Buick Lager.
    2018 Hot Wheels 2SS Camaro Conv ~ 2016 2LT Corvette 7spd ~ 2017 Camaro RS V6 6spd ~ 2014 Chevy Volt(traded) ~ 2009 Pontiac G8 GT ~ 2002 Firebird Formula 6spd

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tripowergto Jan2003 For This Useful Post:

Greg Burr (10-30-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,130 Times in 1,625 Posts

Sucks to see the 4C going away...awesome little car. The SL is coming back built by AMG for 2022 so not sure why the article is claiming it to go down. Perhaps they meant S Coupe/Cabrio which is dying after '21.

Like I said before, the Impala was okay, I think it just had too much baggage from past mediocre Impalas to improve it's perception. American cars don't fare as well as others when it comes to re-writing their image. Is it unfair? probably but American makes don't get the benefit of a 2nd or 3rd look once they endure a failed generation or 2.
    Last edited by sdotjeezy; 10-30-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    My Rides:
    '19 Buick Enclave
    '07 Dodge Magnum SRT-8
    '19 Mazda 6

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 963 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BORG View Post

I thought it was to attract those sportier guys who have memories of the Regal T-Type and Grand National.

Thanks
    My Ride
    2017 Ford Mustang Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Perian View Post
    This one hurts. The first General Motors product ever to receive an almost perfect score from Consumer Reports, and no one at corporate headquarters cared. The Impala should have been refreshed, and the CR stellar performance should have been advertised over and over (like Mazda does with its high scoring vehicles).

Agreed. I remember the review. It may have had the 2nd best rating ever, better than the high end German cars. Maybe the Tesla was #1, but if memory serves me right, that recommendation was pulled, at least for a while.
    Last edited by Greg Burr; 10-30-2020 at 05:53 PM.

6.2 Liter LS3 V8 Premium Member smith7629's Avatar
    Thanks
    My Ride
    2018 Silverado Midnight Z71

I need to order my Camaro before it’s on the list.

2021 Camaro 2SS Coupe w/ manual transmission
    Black exterior
    Black interior
    SS 1LE Track performance package
    black wheel lug nuts and locks package
    battery protection package
    6.2L performance air intake
    Power sunroof (note: normally not available with the 1LE, but I've read in blogs that if you use "quick order" it will allow it. Normal "Configure a New Vehicle" will not allow it.)
    Premium indoor vehicle cover, black
    Infotainment system with Navigation
    Premium floor mats (if there's any available w/ SS or 1LE)
    Alloy sport pedals
    Illuminated footwells
    cargo net
    Knee pads black sueded
    [/SIGPIC]

Thanks
    Thanked 4,281 Times in 2,767 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

Pardon me while I go shed a tear or two for some of these.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to 1958carnut For This Useful Post:

RedSkyBlackDream (11-03-2020)

20. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Thread Information