18 Month Product Development Cycle at GM

1. Welcome to GM Inside News Forum – General discussion forum for GM

Welcome to GM Inside News Forum - a website dedicated to all things GM.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, Join GM Inside News Forum today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 18 Month Product Development Cycle at GM

R2-D2 Astromech Droid Premium Member mbukukanyau's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,580 Times in 4,185 Posts
    My Ride
    2013 Traverse | 2018 Fusion

18 Month Product Development Cycle at GM

The electrical architecture, which is based on GM's Ultium battery system, is essentially developed and complete, Morris said. That means creating a new vehicle in 18 months is now the rule, not the exception. It is the new standard going forward, with so much of the underlying development having been front-loaded. He said it means the first test vehicles coming off the line feel like production vehicles, ready to hit the real world and be verified.
    Ultium Batteries in 19 Flavors
    The Ultium battery system can be configured 19 different ways to accommodate front-, rear-, and all-wheel drive as well as performance future vehicles in all sizes and segments. Key to continued growth is developing further software, says GM President Mark Reuss. "We want to advance entire EV portfolio which is where we need the additional horsepower of 3,000 more engineers," said Morris.
    https://www.motortrend.com/news/gm-e...v-development/

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mbukukanyau For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-11-2020),BlackGTP (11-10-2020),dannyg (11-10-2020),JBsZ06 (11-10-2020)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,080 Times in 1,906 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Porsche Cayenne

Re: 18 Month Product Development Cycle at GM

that's very very promising. GM's development cycle always felt glacial

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dslay04 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-11-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by dslay04 View Post
    that's very very promising. GM's development cycle always felt glacial
    I am very interested in what Buick will put forth comparable to Lincoln electric offerings

7. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) JBsZ06's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,747 Times in 1,122 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 Red c8 corvette z51 fe4

The ev revolution at GM will bring back the styling heyday of the late 1950s. Every year or two all new excitment hit the showrooms ..

I may be exaggerating a little but the move away from unit body construction will once again let GM do what it does best.

Best performance, best value, best reliability best styling.

Again Im being overly enthusiastic yet I do believe there is quite a bit of truth in what the ev revolution at GM will allow the corporation to do and do profitably.

Tophats are easy when the platforms are so flexible,

The next few years at GM are going to be exciting without question.
    2008 black c6 corvette z51 m6 on black c7 z51 19/20s and 2018 Bright red alfa stelvio ti sport on 20 s with sport seats

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JBsZ06 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-11-2020),BlackGTP (11-10-2020),Greg Burr (11-13-2020),jzchev28 (11-10-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,675 Times in 5,174 Posts
    My Ride
    2020 CT4-V - Black

Turn around times like that are amazing. Really let's GM put cutting edge tech and styling vs. what you get when you need 5 years to plan a vehicle!

3.6 Liter SIDI V6 eb110americana's Avatar
    Thanks

This is basically the production realization of the GM Autonomy concept:

GM Autonomy 5.jpg

Which is to say, what's old is new again: Bodies on pre-engineered chassis.

6.2 Liter LS9 Supercharged V8
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    The ev revolution at GM will bring back the styling heyday of the late 1950s. Every year or two all new excitment hit the showrooms ..

I may be exaggerating a little but the move away from unit body construction will once again let GM do what it does best.

Best performance, best value, best reliability best styling.

Again Im being overly enthusiastic yet I do believe there is quite a bit of truth in what the ev revolution at GM will allow the corporation to do and do profitably.

Tophats are easy when the platforms are so flexible,

The next few years at GM are going to be exciting without question.
    This is generally how I viewed the promise of GM's EV vehicle architecture. I never really saw it as a simple appeal to environmentalists.

The architecture holds promise in shorter vehicle development cycles, once the chassis is developed. If consumer preferences change, even quickly, from SUV's to sedans, for example, GM not only will be able to shift production more easily to reflect that change, but it should be able to do so with more contemporary offerings. Theoretically. One cause for me to be less sanguine is that this would ultimately rely on GM's marketing, which for several decades has done poorly in its function as those who were not only designing TV commercials, but, more importantly, were the ones who were tasked with feeding well-informed market information to the design and engineering departments. Executed correctly, the timeframe between expressed consumer preferences and viable vehicles in showrooms is as short as possible. Better matched products (and production) with market demands means less of a need of incentivized sales, even at the close of a vehicle's life cycle.

The architecture holds the promise of superior quality through a significant reduction in parts. Higher quality means less recalls (presumably) and higher profits for GM. And higher quality naturally elevates each brand. A reduced number of parts additionally allows for ease of manufacturing, meaning fewer workers (though potentially paid at genuinely higher middle class wages and benefits!). And the overall simplification of the manufacturing process in terms of few, common parts may simultaneously allow for rapid customization of each buyer's specific optional equipment selection; you get exactly the vehicle you want in a very short time!

The architecture allows the promise of superior performance, be that in presumed towing capacity for trucks (would anyone really be disappointed in a Silverado HD with "only" 1,000 lb.-ft. of torque?), be that in sub 2-second 0-60 times in a Corvette or Camaro, or be that in the maximization of "FE" for compact vehicles where consumers place an ultimate premium on reducing range anxiety and reducing energy consumption. Flexibility in the conceptualization and application of EV powertrains is key.

I suspect clever engagement between GM and its dealers would help to develop plans to replace lost service revenue with additional revenue streams, be that in the form of novel customization processes or processes that have yet to be developed! (I actually think there is an opportunity outside of the dealership network for some clever people to come along as a totally new type of service industry to accelerate fast-charging stations on a grand scale (for grand profit!)). EV's absolutely will create 100's of thousands of unforeseen new jobs in the US. The march of progress and such...

I may be more optimistic thank even you, JBsZ06, and I am confident there will be a steep learning curve, but I see exceptional opportunity in EVs that likely elevates US manufacturing and service.

13. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tgagneguam For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-11-2020),BlackGTP (11-11-2020),criticalmass (11-13-2020),JBsZ06 (11-11-2020),mbukukanyau (11-11-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

GM marketing has not even been able to explain Ultium to wall street, how will they explain it to consumers?

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mbukukanyau View Post
    GM marketing has not even been able to explain Ultium to wall street, how will they explain it to consumers?
    Your description the other day in regards to Ultium, comparing it to "legos" if I remember correctly, would be the perfect way to explain it to customers. A video showing an exploded view of Legos coming together to form a car...fading into the real world assembly of an Ultium chassis with body parts being snapped into place to build a vehicle, but not just one vehicle....a sedan, a crossover, a truck/suv, a sportscar...all based on one common architecture. Impressive and seemingly simple....hence the 18 month development cycle.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 61BelAir For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (11-11-2020)

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by 61BelAir View Post
    Your description the other day in regards to Ultium, comparing it to "legos" if I remember correctly, would be the perfect way to explain it to customers. A video showing an exploded view of Legos coming together to form a car...fading into the real world assembly of an Ultium chassis with body parts being snapped into place to build a vehicle, but not just one vehicle....a sedan, a crossover, a truck/suv, a sportscar...all based on one common architecture. Impressive and seemingly simple....hence the 18 month development cycle.
    The most interesting thing is how GM will build the Hydrogen rigs for Nikola. Will we see any of those products on GM brands?

6.2 Liter LS3 V8
    Thanks

If the headline is correct, why was the Hummer announced during the Superbowl in January 2020 and won't be in dealer lots until fall of 2021? That's over 18 months. Yeah, so it takes 18 months to develop it, but 36 months to make it or something? Give me a break.

Thanks
    My Ride

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    If the headline is correct, why was the Hummer announced during the Superbowl in January 2020 and won't be in dealer lots until fall of 2021? That's over 18 months. Yeah, so it takes 18 months to develop it, but 36 months to make it or something? Give me a break.
    First off the line

4.4 Liter Supercharged Northstar 61BelAir's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by usa1 View Post
    Is development time and time to production the same thing? I would think not. I work for a company that manufactures automotive parts and development time and time to when it hits the shelves are two different things. Especially right now with the pandemic. Our supply chain is the bottleneck is some circumstances.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to 61BelAir For This Useful Post:

mbukukanyau (11-11-2020)

Firebird Concept (the turbine one) Premium Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,174 Times in 2,664 Posts
    My Ride
    The coffin on wheels
    There's a sleight of hand going on here as product development moves to two parts, developing the basic architecture to cover the entire product envelope and then, 18 months to through develop each model but does that also cover the field reliability testing?

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jpd80 For This Useful Post:

1958carnut (11-11-2020),eklauss (11-13-2020),Mr.Buttons (11-12-2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,281 Times in 2,767 Posts
    My Ride
    2016 Nissan Rogue SV AWD

This all sounds promising and I hope they can deliver.

25. Remove Advertisements
    GM Inside News
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information